Thinking outloud

OnTheRocks

...it would pretty much be flushing this year down the toilet and IMO would have a serious impact on the development of JP.

756480[/snapback]

Excellent point. It's going to difficult to know this year how JP is doing, but if you take away his running game and force him to throw more and develop sooner you're really huting his development.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This year? No. Not until after the regular season and only then if there's a good enough RB we are about to land to replace him. McGahee can run the ball for sure, but he is proving to be a liability blocking. I think the blocking thing is due to the fact that he doesn't want to get hurt before really "cashing in" with a big contract.

With all that said, I would rather see us sign him to a long-term deal, but I honestly believe he is going to end up in Jacksonville if he is allowed to hit the open market. He's a Florida kind of guy. Tampa has Cadillac and Miami has Ronnie Brown. That leaves Jacksonville with an aging Fred Taylor who can't even stay healthy now.

If he doesn't look like he's going to re-sign with us, trade him this offseason for a HIGH #1 pick because he is a premier back in this league. With that high pick, draft Adrian Peterson if he's on the board. The only way we trade him is if we get the proper value. If we don't and he's about to become a free agent, "tag" him. We cannot let him walk without getting anything in return.

To lob the ball back in your court, do you think that Willis, given his contract status and his history of injuries, is worth a top 10 draft pick? If not, is he worth more, or less?

Is there anything that you would take for him in a trade in terms of draft picks, or is he such an all-time great that one cannot place a value on his services?

PS: I am NOT being snide, just asking a serious question.

756542[/snapback]

Willis' "injury history" consists of one very serious knee injury from which he has apparently completely recovered. He has shown no signs of inability to be the durable, 300+ carry back we need him to be, and he is now entering the prime of his career. His value (in my opinion) can not be expressed in terms of one draft pick, because his playing experience makes him more valuable than even a high 1st rounder.

I would trade Willis for no less than a 1st and 2nd, or a 1st and another viable starter at a position of need.

To those of you who keep on insisting that Willis is "counting the days" until he can leave the Bills, Willis bought a house in Orchard Park during the off season.

It is also funny how many of you predicted that he would hold out by now. Of course, that never happened.

Please stop with this nonsense.

Whether Willis stays a Buffalo Bill will entirely depend on whether the Bills are willing to pay him market value and where we are in relation to the salary cap.

I'd do it if they could get a good offer for him.You can find RB's much easier and if you build your OL it can make marginal backs look pretty damn good.I don't dislike Willis but if we could get the right package for him...it would be a done deal.

How many 1000 yard seasons in the NFL does peterson have?

With Houston's #1 we could probably get Adrian Peterson from OU.  That being said I don't think I would do it because it would pretty much be flushing this year down the toilet and IMO would have a serious impact on the development of JP.

756480[/snapback]

How many 1000 yard seasons in the NFL does peterson have?

756620[/snapback]

The guy is talented..no doubt and i'm pretty sure he will be a quality back at the NFL level.Screw using high picks on RB's (or QB's/WR's for that matter) though...it is waste for the most part.

Not yet, and Marv seems to agree. In the first 4 rounds, he drafted 3 defensive backs; only one of whom likely to start.

Remember, this scenario was imaginary. The way question played out, the Bills could very easliy wind up with 2 top 10 picks, and the #1 was not even out of the question.

If JP can play, this would open the door for perhaps a premium LT and a top rated linebacker. If not, how about a stud qb to go with a LT? Or, how about a trade down?

Again, I am a fan of MaGahee, and I think that he will have a good season. However, a top 10 pick? Like I said, in a split second.

756532[/snapback]

I understand you are excited about the idea of 2 possible top 10 picks, I myself am drooling as well. This is all next year, who is your running back this year? Lionel Gates? Anthony Thomas? Are you going to be happy sitting down watching 16 games of hell, and do you really think people would go to the games? We would be in the same situation that the texans would be in before the trade, which is why they would propose it, to better themselves and to win, if the situation for next year looked as good as you think then why wouldnt the texans wait and use their "top 10 pick" then?

To those of you who keep on insisting that Willis is "counting the days" until he can leave the Bills, Willis bought a house in Orchard Park during the off season.

756588[/snapback]

...and this means what? He is comiitted to playing in Buffalo his entire career? The friggin' guy has to live somewhere other than a cardboard box. :devil:

...and this means what?  He is comiitted to playing in Buffalo his entire career?  The friggin' guy has to live somewhere other than a cardboard box.  :devil:

756702[/snapback]

no way... i know a lot of nfl players that enjoy staying in bum ass appartments until they hit free agency......... :D

It was probably all he was able to afford because he is paying his baby mama. Poor bastard.

...and this means what?  He is comiitted to playing in Buffalo his entire career?  The friggin' guy has to live somewhere other than a cardboard box.  :devil:

756702[/snapback]

You know exactly what it means. Why bother buying a house if you are not planning on staying. Buying a house is absolutely inconsistent with "counting the days" as some of you keep on saying. It is not as if Buffalo real estate is such a wonderful investment opportunity.

By the way, how many Bills do you think actually own homes in WNY?

If I were the GM in Houston with the scenario you propose, I'd approach the Chargers about Michael Turner before I ever called the Bills about McGahee. He is simply a better player in my mind!!

756472[/snapback]

:devil::D

DISCLAIMER:  I do not think the Texans will make this offer, I am just playing the "I get to be GM" in my head for kicks and giggles.

Watching the news reports from Houston and it looks like the Texans could be without Dominick Davis.

If the Texans came calling and offered a 1st round pick for McGahee would you make that deal?  For me it is a no brainer, I would make that deal in a second. 

I know last year the Seahawks shopped Alexander and the Colts shopped James, and no one would even offer a 2nd rounder.

756439[/snapback]

If you want the Bills to continue to suck for 2-3 more years, then yes, it would make sense to do that.

:devil:

Initially, to me, it sounded tempting....2 top 10 picks :devil:

but since we don't have a reasonable #1 RB, it could devastate the team. The extra pressure on JP might wreck his confidence for the future & the likelihood of us being decent this season goes right out the window. The players could lose faith in the new regime before we even get onto the field.

Willis is no 'sure thing' IMO. He has the ability/potential to become great but.....

He is more of a 'sure thing' than a high 1st round pick though.

The logic some use on him is weird. If he is going to leave for 'greener' pastures next year, that implies he will have produced this year & will be a valuable commodity on the FA market....yet the same people are stating that he really isn't 'that' good. Either he is worth a top 10 pick or he is not....you can't have both.

By the way, how many Bills do you think actually own homes in WNY?

756733[/snapback]

I'm not sure and I don't really care. If you want to use this as a barometer for much a much a player loves playing for the Bills, go right ahead. I'll choose to file it in the useless information drawer of my filing cabinet.