WTF is up with all the sports media whining

LabattBlue

It seems like every 3rd thread recently is crying about some member of the sports media(TV, radio, internet & newspaper). Granted I've made posts in the past about WGR and king of all ballwashers Theismann, but this is out of control...

It is a constant stream of ESPN sucks, Peter King blows, Tasker can't get player names correct, Felser is senile, Sullivan is a jerkoff, Larry from larryknowsfootball.com doesn't know sh-- about the Bills, etc... Either have SDS setup a separate forum for this whining or give it a rest. :devil:

...and yes I fell better now! :)

It seems like every 3rd thread recently is crying about some member of the sports media(TV, radio, internet  & newspaper).  Granted I've made posts in the past about WGR and king of all ballwashers Theismann, but this is out of control...

It is a constant stream of ESPN sucks, Peter King blows, Tasker can't get player names correct, Felser is senile, Sullivan is a jerkoff, Larry from larryknowsfootball.com doesn't know sh-- about the Bills, etc...  Either have SDS setup a separate forum for this whining or give it a rest.  :devil:

...and yes I fell better now!  :)

756111[/snapback]

People expect the media to wear the same rose-colored glasses that they wear. If the media does not come across as Bills homers, then "they are idiots," "they don't know what they are talking about," blah...blah...blah. The same thing happens here when someone posts a comment that does not have the Bills in the Superbowl every year.

People expect the media to wear the same rose-colored glasses that they wear. If the media does not come across as Bills homers, then "they are idiots," "they don't know what they are talking about," blah...blah...blah. The same thing happens here when someone posts a comment that does not have the Bills in the Superbowl every year.

756117[/snapback]

Actually, the "idiots" are folks who work at the extreme on either side. The "we're going to the Superbowl every year" folks get shouted down as bad as the "Doooooomed, 0-16" folks. Otherwise, RJOSEPH would be king of posters here...

I wouldn't have a problem with some of the predictions that the Bills will be a horrible team if the reporters (or even posters) gave valid comments to back up their claims. Most of the time its just, they sucked previously, they "Reached" for Whitner, JP sucks, DJ is a loser coach, Marv and Ralph are Senile old coots, and the o-line is made up of reject cast-offs from other teams. Give me a valid arguement to prove you reasoning and I can understand your stance on the team.

But yes, I do agree, I find it annoying that 1/3 of the posts recently are all how this media person is an idiot cause they think Buffalo will do this or lose this many games. Who cares, most of the time they are wrong anyways and change their opinions 20+ times during the season anyway.

...and yes I fell better now!  :D

756111[/snapback]

Your rant actually answers your question. Basic human nature is to either seek pleasure or avoid pain. The stimulus of hearing or reading something that agrees with your position hits those pleasure centers in your brain. The converse is that an opposing view is "painful". Pointing out others' failings is also pleasureable. Folks here are simply lashing out against those that bring them some pain and that lashing feels good (as you said).

And yes, it feels great to write this. ;)

Your rant actually answers your question.  Basic human nature is to either seek pleasure or avoid pain.  The stimulus of hearing or reading something that agrees with your position hits those pleasure centers in your brain.  The converse is that an opposing view is "painful".  Pointing out others' failings is also pleasureable.  Folks here are simply lashing out against those that bring them some pain and that lashing feels good (as you said).

And yes, it feels great to write this.  :D

756255[/snapback]

I feel like I am in a psychologists office and should be writing you a check for a $250 for an impromptu 5 minute visit. Thanks Doc! :devil:

It seems like every 3rd thread recently is crying about some member of the sports media(TV, radio, internet  & newspaper).  Granted I've made posts in the past about WGR and king of all ballwashers Theismann, but this is out of control...

It is a constant stream of ESPN sucks, Peter King blows, Tasker can't get player names correct, Felser is senile, Sullivan is a jerkoff, Larry from larryknowsfootball.com doesn't know sh-- about the Bills, etc...  Either have SDS setup a separate forum for this whining or give it a rest.   :devil:

...and yes I fell better now!  :lol:

756111[/snapback]

Wait a minute, wait a minute here (said in a Homer voice)

this sounds like whining to me dammit! :D

I feel like I am in a psychologists office and should be writing you a check for a $250 for an impromptu 5 minute visit.  Thanks Doc! :lol:

756698[/snapback]

Not to be confused with the $250 for 5 minutes you pay at that other office :devil:

And,

Larry Felser is senile. :D

Riddle me this: How can members of the retard rodeo think these two things concurrently --

1] All media members are morons because they predict disaster for the Bills.

2] All media members are morons and always wrong.

One would have to conclude if moron media members are always wrong, retard rodeo members would be thrilled with these predictions of doom because joy awaits you.

The reality is, NFL talking heads are in full gear right now. It's time to predict. It's time to express extensive forecasts based on a number of factors which very few can ever see clearly from this distance.

But that doesn't stop them from doing it. And the reason they do it is so someone gets pissed.

The media isn't stupid. They understand the internet tubes. They're tubes. They're connected. Stuff gets crammed into them. If one of their reporters only says something that's actually accurate, true or complementary, after a while, it gets old and no one tunes in.

But say something just based on a bad idea, researched or not, and all you need is one pissed person...and that pissed person stuffs the tubes and tells a bunch of other people who will get pissed off, but those people go to the place where the source was. Suddenly, where there was previously an audience of one, there are suddenly 100. And then suddenly 10,000.

Message boards. Email. Text messaging. When it comes to sports, word spreads very fast and very easily to target audiences.

The minute that 10,000 go away, you say something else that'll piss off just one person, and 10,000 are back again in record time.

Even the dudes who do say good things about a particular team will soon say something crappy about a different team, just to keep pissing people off to get them back to read their stuff so the particular personality is in demand.

The mere fact that people let themselves get pissed over this stuff simply serves as good online theater.

756117[/snapback]

That's just not even close in most cases (other than the extremists mentioned by DanGross). The media generally inserts a foot in their own mouth by making supposed "inside" statements like "there's a prominent member of the Bills offense who would have Holcomb as the starter" and tries to use it in respect to the current state of the team, when it's very clear that Holcomb is rapidly making his way to the 3rd string. They try to sound important or show that they have priviledged information when they truly know less about the team than your average local fan.

756117[/snapback]

I agree.

Also I feel this day in age people yearn for attention at any turn. and in the sports side of it, lean on every word ESPN says or sports radio says, DYING for their team to be mentioned and given props...and if their favorite player or team is not mentioned....OMG MY team was not mentioned! He(She) is an idiot!!! the Sky is falling! ESPN did NOT pick the Bills to be over 6-10!!! IF ESPN does NOT give our Bills respect if the Bills upset NE, my blood will boil over and I will go beserk!!!!

:)

ESPN is entertainment. Take these things for what they are worth.

I agree.

Also I feel this day in age people yearn for attention at any turn. and in the sports side of it, lean on every word ESPN says or sports radio says, DYING for their team to be mentioned and given props...and if their favorite player or team is not mentioned....OMG MY team was not mentioned!  He(She) is an idiot!!!  the Sky is falling!  ESPN did NOT pick the Bills to be over 6-10!!!  IF ESPN does NOT give our Bills respect if the Bills upset NE, my blood will boil over and I will go beserk!!!!

ESPN is entertainment.  Take these things for what they are worth.

757327[/snapback]

The "Self-Esteem" thing, perhaps?

The 19th Century definition by William James:

Self-esteem = success / pretentions.

It may be increased as well by diminishing the denominator as by increasing the numerator, noted Mr. James.

Today's definition:

Self-esteem = You said nice things about me / You didn't and I'm telling on you!

:D

One word can effective answer this post: OFFSEASON :D

It is a constant stream of ESPN sucks, Peter King blows, Tasker can't get player names correct, Felser is senile, Sullivan is a jerkoff, Larry from larryknowsfootball.com doesn't know sh-- about the Bills, etc...  Either have SDS setup a separate forum for this whining or give it a rest.  :)

...and yes I fell better now!  :D

756111[/snapback]

I agree.

Also I feel this day in age people yearn for attention at any turn. and in the sports side of it, lean on every word ESPN says or sports radio says, DYING for their team to be mentioned and given props...and if their favorite player or team is not mentioned....OMG MY team was not mentioned!  He(She) is an idiot!!!  the Sky is falling!  ESPN did NOT pick the Bills to be over 6-10!!!  IF ESPN does NOT give our Bills respect if the Bills upset NE, my blood will boil over and I will go beserk!!!!

ESPN is entertainment.  Take these things for what they are worth.

757327[/snapback]

It is not only attention, but validation. People need validation for their optimism and that plays a partial role in this. You also have the "B word for the sake of bitching" thingy going on. People just want to complain about something, so they toss anger towards anyone not ball-washing the team.

My opinion: Who the F cares what pundits think about the team? Seriously, what does it matter what pundits think about the team? Does it lead to more Bills wins? Nope.