Villarial, Vincent, Holcomb to be cut...

genomich

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"BATTLE OF THE WEEK: QB Jared Lorenzen seems to have pulled ahead of Rob Johnson in the battle for the third string position, and now he is making headway in his attempt to unseat Tim Hasselbeck as the backup to Eli Manning.

749388[/snapback]

Awesome, we can cut Holcomb and bring Rob back.

Who knows if CV is physically capable of playing football? He has sucked since just before the end of 2004.

Ralph might very well cut TV to send a message to the NFLPA. I doubt if he would be missed much in terms of his ability as a football player. In fact, he probably sucks.

As bad as he seems, Holcomb might be the least likely of these 3 possible cuts.

749382[/snapback]

I agree with cutting CV and maybe KH if another qb becomes available or Nall steps up and proves he can be a sufficient back up.

Your reason for cutting Troy Vincent is truly stupid and very juvenile. Why would the Bills do it to send a message to the NFLPA. Troy Vincent will run the show after he retires, and if Buffalo cuts him he will retire and be fresh off of a cut from a team and in a position to truly !@#$ over the team.

Vincent brings the real verteran leadership to the defense with Takeo and London Fletcher. He is absolutely vital in Ko Simpson's development at FS. The reason i say this is because Simpson fell out of the first day because he was not considered a ball hawk and more of a run support player; Vincent is a ball hawk and will help Simpson develop the skills required to have a successful NFL career. This will be Troy's last year and you will see Ko Simpson starting next year.

So please, stop with the madness.

Cuts: Chris Villarial and maybe Kelly Holcomb

No offense, but whenever I read a post like this and then check the number of total posts for the author, the total is usually less than 20, I'm not sure why that is.  I would be suprised if any of these 3 got cut this year, especially Vilareal who is tight with Jauron.  Now as far far as next season goes, all 3 could be on other teams by then.

749376[/snapback]

[No offense, but bite me.

quality is far more important than quantity, grasshopper....

quote=buffaloboyinATL,Aug 22 2006, 02:08 PM]

No offense, but whenever I read a post like this and then check the number of total posts for the author, the total is usually less than 20, I'm not sure why that is. I would be suprised if any of these 3 got cut this year, especially Vilareal who is tight with Jauron. Now as far far as next season goes, all 3 could be on other teams by then.

749376[/snapback]

Prediction: none of them will be cut this year.

749330[/snapback]

Agree....We don't have sufficient depth on our roster....But I can see

Preston replacing Villarial as the starting guard after the 1st few games...

I would cut KH only from the point that his presence will disrupt the

locker room with the vets clamoring for him like last year.

CV has taken every snap with starting OL group in practice and in games. Preston is worked in and probably will replace him mid season or next year.

However, you don't stick a guy in at the starting OG spot for every practice when there is even a chance of him being cut. Especially when you are trying to build cohesion on the OL.

CV isn't going anywhere this year -- except maybe the IR.

Vincent will remain a Bill. He is valuable to the team in terms of leadership. Will he start all 16 games? Probably not. But he'll be on the roster.

And there is no reason to cut KH (though I wouldn't care if they did). The money invested in him, plus his veteran experience makes him a perfect backup if JP (who does run a lot behind a suspect line) gets dinged up.

Again, none of these three are in danger of being cut. IMO.

Yeah, I don't see any of these cuts happening, and don't think any would necessarily be improvements. I wouldn't mind seeing Villarial or Vincent lose their starting spots through strong play by their challengers, and I'm already happy to see Holcomb having lost his starting spot. But we are not a better football team without these guys, especially from a depth perspective.

I'm all for Ko taking over at some point, and I see Villarial's flaws, but I don't think personnel or contract reasons have any of these cuts make sense (possible exception of Holcomb if he drops behind Nall).

I'm all for Ko taking over at some point, and I see Villarial's flaws, but I don't think personnel or contract reasons have any of these cuts make sense (possible exception of Holcomb if he drops behind Nall).

749542[/snapback]

Quite possibly why Holcomb won't play this week so we can get a good long look at Nall before the Aug 29 cut.

No offense, but whenever I read a post like this and then check the number of total posts for the author, the total is usually less than 20....

749376[/snapback]

I think it's funny when people say no offense and then say someting offensive. Anyway, have you seen the number of posts that BF_In_Indiana guy had? How about Holcombs_Arm? :devil: (still trying to get him to quit lurking and post something - and not at 1:30 in the morning) How about me? The number of posts someone has is definitely no insurance against silly posts. Besides, condescension gains you nothing and certainly doesn't represent a point or a counter argument.

Your reason for cutting Troy Vincent is truly stupid and very juvenile. Why would the Bills do it to send a message to the NFLPA. Troy Vincent will run the show after he retires, and if Buffalo cuts him he will retire and be fresh off of a cut from a team and in a position to truly !@#$ over the team.

749432[/snapback]

I agree that is silly and irrelevant.

The reason i say this is because Simpson fell out of the first day because he was not considered a ball hawk and more of a run support player; Vincent is a ball hawk and will help Simpson develop the skills required to have a successful NFL career. This will be Troy's last year and you will see Ko Simpson starting next year.

749432[/snapback]

What? :D:lol: All you have to do is watch the video on bb.com to see that we got Ko because he is a ball hawk - DJ said those exact words. In fact, they didn't realize just how much of a ball hawk Ko is. As far as Vincent is concerned - who knows? If he doesn't stop being invisible out there, we may see Ko a lot sooner than you think. And yeah, I watched the game today on NFL network and looked for Ko and Vincent. I saw Ko - didn't see Vincent. What you say about leadership is true, but that alone is not gonna keep Ko on the bench all year. Vincent, just like the rest of the veteran D, has got to improve over last year.

Anyway, back on topic, I don't see any of these guys getting cut now. I did think that Holcomb might get the axe, but, from what I have seen and heard, it doesn't make much sense - unless we plan on stacking the team with FA next year and are trying to free up as much cap room as possible? Villarial is truly being rested. And no way do they cut Vincent because of leadership, depth, etc.

We are obviously rebuilding, so let's get on with it.  We all can plainly see that these old farts have nothing left in their respective tanks.  Maybe we can sign some last minute cuts with money saved.

749311[/snapback]

Holcomb Would Count 1.5 Mill against the cap to cut him and we dont have a better replacement at right guard

I don't see any of the three being cut. The Bills might give Holcomb his release if he asks for it. They might then keep Kingsbury as the third QB. He's cheap enough that Holcomb's dead cap money wouldn't hurt much.

I don't see any of the three being cut.  The Bills might give Holcomb his release if he asks for it.  They might then keep Kingsbury as the third QB.  He's cheap enough that Holcomb's dead cap money wouldn't hurt much.

749767[/snapback]

IMO Holcomb won't ask for his release. I don't think anyone else wants him this late in the pre-season & he won't walk away from the $$$.

Ralph might very well cut TV to send a message to the NFLPA. I doubt if he would be missed much in terms of his ability as a football player.

749382[/snapback]

What message is it that you want to send. The Bills would simply be stupid to be seen by the players as leading the charge in retaliating against the NFLPA. If players decided to retaliate against us by FA's choosing to go elsewhere or simply wasting our time stringing us along only to not sign with us it would be a horrible thing for our team.

No individual team would want to be seen as the leader of an anti-NFLPA effort because they would suffer compared to the other teams seeking players. This would simply be a dumb competitive and a dumb business strategy for the Bills.

Overall, the NFL under Tagliabue was smart enough to realize that they make far more money and actually this is a far better game if they operate in partnership with the NFLPA rather than if they compete with, beat up or send messages to the NFLPA through self-defeating acts like retaliating against players.

TV may in fact deserve to be cut if his current injuries are a sign of his body breaking down. However, as he is back on the field and even pulled in an interception of a tipped pass he seems to be physically recovered.

TV will not be missed if he cannot play, but given that:

1. He led the team in turnovers produced last year by tying for the team leads in both INTs and fumble recoveries. It would be odd if we somehow would not miss losing the team leader in these two categories.

2. The major whine that folks seemed to have about TV last year was about his tackline, but given that the team is moving away from the zone blitz where the safeties played more like LBs and to a Cover 2 where the safties play more of a centerfielder role, our schemes are going toward his talents developed as a CB and away from the major complaint.

3. They clearly have drafted the players to replace TV taking Whitner and Simpson, but these two are youngsters along with CB Youbouty who can benefit greatly from having a former Pro Bowl DB and a team leader in getting players to behave like businessmen (he got TKO and several other players to take a college course toward getting MBAs). Vincent clearly has so much to add to these younsters learning how to be good pros both on and off the field, it would be dumb to pass on using this resource even if he were not good enough to start. by keeping him a a reserve.

It would be a good move to make TV #2 on the depth chart if he cannot cut it as a starter. but partticularly since there is little cap advantage to cutting him, for the Bills to cut him would really be pretty dumb.