Does Jp still deserve the starting Qb job after

It's likely the coaches determine who gets snaps with the ones by the way they practice.  Call me crazy, but they may have a better handle on it than the average fan.  <_<

747670[/snapback]

Hey AD, whats' the matter, you couldn't get the Bills games in Alaska last year? :blink: All coaches are not created equal!

Seriously, I like Nall too, for whatever reason. I suspect, if he is really good, we will find out one way or another, somewhere along the way...Losman needs to play right now....

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No!  Nall should be the starter.  He was much more poised and had better organization of the offense.  Nall has had my vote ever since we signed him.  Not go Jp, GO NALL! <_<

746838[/snapback]

Dont you think that Nall should play with buffalos starting offense and play against a starting defense before we get this carried away. Losman pretty much the did same thing against the Panthers scrubs who you would have to believe are a little better then the Bengals scrubs.

UGH....YES JP SHOULD BE THE STARTER!!!!!!!!

If not, then JP will be in his 4th year and still not given a chance to earn the job for his own. Give him a leash. Let him hang himself or prove himself. Then we can move on. Every year he does not start is another year we have the same questions. I hate to be so pessimistic, but its not like Holcomb or Nall is going to take us to the playoffs either.

Hey AD, whats' the matter, you couldn't get the Bills games in Alaska last year? <_< All coaches are not created equal!

Seriously, I like Nall too, for whatever reason.  I suspect, if he is really good, we will find out one way or another, somewhere along the way...Losman needs to play right now....

747696[/snapback]

Honestly, it's like Mularkey is still here. Posting right on the board! Nall showed a little in garbage time. Let's give him a start!

Honestly, it's like Mularkey is still here.  Posting right on the board!  Nall showed a little in garbage time.  Let's give him a start!

747710[/snapback]

But AD, otoh, there is absolutely nothing wrong with giving Nall a long and serious look. C'mon, Holcomb is NOT the answer, and the only thing that JP has never shown is consistency. This is NOT to say that he will not turn out to be a fine qb. As you may recall, I likened his set of skills to those of a young Joe Theisman, who quarterbacked a superbowl football team.

Nall is just a kid who never had a chance behind Favre, and I can understand that. Now, he is behind JP Losman, and there is quite a difference. If you can think of anything to be lost by letting this kid prove himself (or try to) on the football field, please let me in on it. I simply cannot come up with any reason whatsoever to not give this kid a fair chance, unless you are positive that JP is THE answer to the quarterback situation of the Buffalo Bills.

I wouldn't mind seeing Nall play the entire 2nd half.  I've seen enough of Holcomb.

746952[/snapback]

Absolutely right!

I wouldn't mind seeing Nall play the entire first half.

That's no big seal considering pre-season. JP needs some competition and he's not going to see it from Holcomb. If Nall starts, and has a good start, JP would be forced to step up and prove that he is number one.

As you may recall, I likened his set of skills to those of a young Joe Theisman, who quarterbacked a superbowl football team.

747714[/snapback]

As long as we're not talking about Theismann's uncanny ability to annoy the hell out of everyone, including his boothmates, by opening his mouth.

I think there's little doubt in any of the coaches' minds that JP is the starter. Because of Nall's injury, we just haven't seen enough of him and he hasn't had enough time in this offense to seriously consider him to start opening day. Even if he plays the whole 1st half of the 3rd and 4th preseason games and plays well with the starting offense against starting defenses, in my mind it still wouldn't be enough to hand him the job over Losman.

However, I do think he should start and play the whole 1st half of the next game, for the purpose of deciding whether he's ready for the backup role. I suspect he'd show more than Holcomb has shown us this preseason and win the backup job right there. And, in these days, rarely do starters take every snap in a season, so in the backup role Nall will eventually get his shot.

But AD, otoh, there is absolutely nothing wrong with giving Nall a long and serious look. C'mon, Holcomb is NOT the answer, and the only thing that JP has never shown is consistency. This is NOT to say that he will not turn out to be a fine qb. As you may recall, I likened his set of skills to those of a young Joe Theisman, who quarterbacked a superbowl football team.

Nall is just a kid who never had a chance behind Favre, and I can understand that. Now, he is behind JP Losman, and there is quite a difference. If you can think of anything to be lost by letting this kid prove himself (or try to) on the football field, please let me in on it. I simply cannot come up with any reason whatsoever to not give this kid a fair chance, unless you are positive that JP is THE answer to the quarterback situation of the Buffalo Bills.

747714[/snapback]

Ya know, I can think of a reason. The fact is the 3rd game is the one where most of the teams play their starters for about 2 1/2 qtrs. This issue has gone on long enough, the Bills must make a decision now and act on it now. They must give this starter, (whoever it is), a fair chance of getting ready and prepared for what really counts....the Pats. And in order to do that, this person must have the majority of the reps with the #1 offense.

I know JP has been a bit up and down in the preseason games, but he is young and it is to be expected. Fact is had it not been for 2 fumbles, this would already be a none issue, regardless of what Nall did on Friday nite. DJ, must make a decision NOW and stick with it...if he pulls a MM with JP or Nall, we are back where we started. Based on everything, the games, the films the OTAs, training camp...does one more preseason game really matter at this point. Name the starter based on everything you have seen thus far, and get on with it.

747714[/snapback]

The cost may well be that it is unfair to the Bills to take away any opportunities for our very likely starting QB to refine his game and gain chemistry with the other starters against the best an opponent can offer in exchange for trying to be nice to Nall who simply missed totally Game 1 and some good quality time in Game 2 due to injury.

Nall is not getting a "fair" chance not because the Bills would not give him one, but because the reality of injury took his early chances away.

JP is not gonna suddenly become a stud QB because he gets some reps against the lowly Cleveland starters, but there are real gains that MIGHT possibly be obtained from us dealing with the reality of Nall being hurt, Holcomb sucking and JP showing both good signs (the TD to Evans in Game 2, a good reception percentage to finish his work in Game 1) and the bad signs he has shown (3 straight misses to start Game 1, the turnovers in Game 2).

I think there are somethings which MIGHT be possible for JP to achieve in a Game 3 start which would be sacrificed if this time was used to tryout Nall against another team's starters.

These are:

1. JP is our very likely starter at QB given his up and down performance so far, KH's horrendous performances and Nall's good work against opposing scrubs last night but injury which cost him valuable time in the limited pre-season. Historically, Game 3 is used by most teams as a dress rehearsal for the season opener and JP's inconsistency has shown enough good signs and enough bad signs that he actually has a reasonable chance at home against a likely awful Cleveland team to produce results which emphasize the good and de-emphasize the bad.

He is not gonna become a stud over the next week, but the Bills should try to help him and should not sacrifice the opportunity for him to quickly get back on the horse after some bad turnover mistakes against the Bengals and attempt to achieve positive results against Cleveland.

It would benefit the Bills alot in the building toward our season opener against NE to show some confidence in the good things that JP does and not to build a habit that he and the team need to operate on the pins and needles of last year and any mistake he makes may well mean he goes to the bench.

In essence a decision to sit JP as starter and to give Nall a "tryout" against Cleveland's starters would be following the TD model of last year that the upcoming year is about 2007 rather than about 2006. It is not fair to the team and to the town to devote our efforts primarily to taking chances for the distant future in the hope Nall would work out when the commitment is to the more immediate future.

Nall's injury costing him a game totally and relegating him to playing against (and beating. the Bengals scrubs is what has cost him a shot at starting this year not some unfair plot. Investing the limited time we have now in trying to sort things out with Nall would be unfair to the team and JP (UNLESS NALL SHOWS SOMETHING REALLY SPECIAL THIS WEEK IN PRACTICE AND JP SUCKS IN PRACTICE.

2. JP is not gonna become a stud QB merely because he gets to practice against CLE starters, but in addition to the importance of us not following the herky-jerky TD QB path there are some things he can potentially improve significantly by getting the most PT he can this pre-season.

A. He will need to learn to yes thrown passes like the TD to Evans, but no dump it off on plays like the INTs. It is very doubtful he will relearn habits gained running for his life behind the Tulane line in one week, but every week helps and anything which adds marginal value to our likely starter at this point is huge.

B. As Tasker pointed out Friday there are a couple of negatives JP has shown which generally have been easier problems to solve. While changing habits may well take a season to refine his game (and it is refine rather than remake totally as his problem was not that he was always bad but that he was inconsistent), there are problems like him seeming to get excited when he has an open receiver and throwing the ball into the dirt because me may be gripping it to tight are probably doable improvements.

JP simply needs to get more comfortable playing and starting and simply getting more PT seems like a reasonable move to accomplish this. In fact, showing a lack of confidence in him and benching him would probably hurt and cost us.

I think Nall did lose a fair chanceat competing and developing into the starter, but he lost this due to injury and not due to some conspiracy. In fact, what would be unfair unless we see some huge negatives in JP his week in practice, accompanied by huge positives from Nall, I think it would be unfair to the players and fans to simply use 2006 as a tryout rather than to take risks to win with JP who is inconsistent but did not lost time to injury.

Chuck Pollock hit the nail on the head:

Bills’ fans who claim four preseason games are too many are dead wrong ... that may not be nearly enough for Buffalo to decide on a starting quarterback.
Friggin' Meathead. <_< I hope he gets a nice welcome home reception for this mess when the Felons come to town.

JP is our starter, and any decisions on playing time in the next two preseason games need to be based 100% on what will be best for JP. No question in my mind, playing is best for JP, so Nall can move ahead of Holcomb on the mopup chart, but starting him would be rediculous. Sorry about the injury, but it cost him a shot at winning the job outright, and we can't afford to have a QB shuffle anymore. JP gets 16 starts and we take it from there next winter. Nall can and should move ahead of Holcomb as the #2.

The cost may well be that it is unfair to the Bills to take away any opportunities for our very likely starting QB to refine his game and gain chemistry with the other starters against the best an opponent can offer in exchange for trying to be nice to Nall who simply missed totally Game 1 and some good quality time in Game 2 due to injury.

Nall is not getting a "fair" chance not because the Bills would not give him one, but because the reality of injury took his early chances away.

JP is not gonna suddenly become a stud QB because he gets some reps against the lowly Cleveland starters, but there are real gains that MIGHT possibly be obtained from us dealing with the reality of Nall being hurt, Holcomb sucking and JP showing both good signs (the TD to Evans in Game 2, a good reception percentage to finish his work in Game 1) and the bad signs he has shown (3 straight misses to start Game 1, the turnovers in Game 2).

I think there are somethings which MIGHT be possible for JP to achieve in a Game 3 start which would be sacrificed if this time was used to tryout Nall against another team's starters.

These are:

1. JP is our very likely starter at QB given his up and down performance so far, KH's horrendous performances and Nall's good work against opposing scrubs last night but injury which cost him valuable time in the limited pre-season.  Historically, Game 3 is used by most teams as a dress rehearsal for the season opener and JP's inconsistency has shown enough good signs and enough bad signs that he actually has a reasonable chance at home against a likely awful Cleveland team to produce results which emphasize the good and de-emphasize the bad.

He is not gonna become a stud over the next week, but the Bills should try to help him and should not sacrifice the opportunity for him to quickly get back on the horse after some bad turnover mistakes against the Bengals and attempt to achieve positive results against Cleveland.

It would benefit the Bills alot in the building toward our season opener against NE to show some confidence in the good things that JP does and not to build a habit that he  and the team need to operate on the pins and needles of last year and any mistake he makes may well mean he goes to the bench.

In essence a decision to sit JP as starter and to give Nall a "tryout" against Cleveland's starters would be following the TD model of last year that the upcoming year is about 2007 rather than about 2006.  It is not fair to the team and to the town to devote our efforts primarily to taking chances for the distant future in the hope Nall would work out when the commitment is to the more immediate future.

Nall's injury costing him a game totally and relegating him to playing against (and beating. the Bengals scrubs is what has cost him a shot at starting this year not some unfair plot.  Investing the limited time we have now in trying to sort things out with Nall would be unfair to the team and JP (UNLESS NALL SHOWS SOMETHING REALLY SPECIAL THIS WEEK IN PRACTICE AND JP SUCKS IN PRACTICE.

2. JP is not gonna become a stud QB merely because he gets to practice against CLE starters, but in addition to the importance of us not following the herky-jerky TD QB path there are some things he can potentially improve significantly by getting the most PT he can this pre-season.

A.  He will need to learn to yes thrown passes like the TD to Evans, but no dump it off on plays like the INTs.  It is very doubtful he will relearn habits gained running for his life behind the Tulane line in one week, but every week helps and anything which adds marginal value to our likely starter at this point is huge.

B. As Tasker pointed out Friday there are a couple of negatives JP has shown which generally have been easier problems to solve.  While changing habits may well take a season to refine his game (and it is refine rather than remake totally as his problem was not that he was always bad but that he was inconsistent), there are problems like him seeming to get excited when he has an open receiver and throwing the ball into the dirt because me may be gripping it to tight are probably doable improvements.

JP simply needs to get more comfortable playing and starting and simply getting more PT seems like a reasonable move to accomplish this.  In fact, showing a lack of confidence in him and benching him would probably hurt and cost us.

I think Nall did lose a fair chanceat competing and developing into the starter, but he lost this due to injury and not due to some conspiracy.  In fact, what would be unfair unless we see some huge negatives in JP his week in practice, accompanied by huge positives from Nall, I think it would be unfair to the players and fans to simply use 2006 as a tryout rather than to take risks to win with JP who is inconsistent but did not lost time to injury.

747755[/snapback]

Yes. Yes....what he said.....I concur 100%!!!!

JP needs to be on the field with Evans, Parrish, Royal, Reed and Willis as much as possible to benefit all parties. I thought Friday night was the best Losman has looked since he joined the team.

With 2 minutes left in the first half the other night, if he was pulled from the game, we would be singing his praises for a good performance leading the team to three scoring opportunities. Instead, in the last 2 minutes, he fumbled twice and gave 6 points to the Bengals so now all other progress in the game is forgotten.

The intermediate and longer passes he threw to Lee Evans were perfect. He threw a perfect strike to Parrish across the middle and a perfect 20 yarder to Reed that was dropped. Those were impressive and not easy throws. How can anyone not be excited about those throws? Those deeper throws will also push the defense back and give Willis some room.

The interception was horrible but he came right back with two strikes to Evans that showed he was capable of overcoming a bad play which he could not do last year (see Miami game).

Bottom line, the offense showed more progress and more excitement Friday night than ever existed under the supposedly innovative Malarkey. Willis, Lee and yes, JP showed they are getting better and this offense going in the right direction.

Put me in the minority that actually finds this offense watchable again.

JP needs to be on the field with Evans, Parrish, Royal, Reed and Willis as much as possible to benefit all parties. I thought Friday night was the best Losman has looked since he joined the team.

With 2 minutes left in the first half the other night, if he was pulled from the game, we would be singing his praises for a good performance leading the team to three scoring opportunities. Instead, in the last 2 minutes, he fumbled twice and gave 6 points to the Bengals so now all other progress in the game is forgotten.

The intermediate and longer passes he threw to Lee Evans were perfect. He threw a perfect strike to Parrish across the middle and a perfect 20 yarder to Reed that was dropped. Those were impressive and not easy throws. How can anyone not be excited about those throws? Those deeper throws will also push the defense back and give Willis some room. 

The interception was horrible but he came right back with two strikes to Evans that showed he was capable of overcoming a bad play which he could not do last year (see Miami game).   

Bottom line, the offense showed more progress and more excitement Friday night than ever existed under the supposedly innovative Malarkey. Willis, Lee and yes, JP showed they are getting better and this offense going in the right direction.

Put me in the minority that actually finds this offense watchable again.

747832[/snapback]

Good post. I really like this offense so far. Not necessarily all of the players, we still have a suspect OL and QB, but I'm talking about what the plays and play-calling look like. Fairchild looks like a very good coordinator at this early stage. Obviously we won't know either way for about two years but I very much like what I see out of him. I like the play design. I like the mixing up of the run and pass. I like the use of TE and RB in the passing game. I like the pitchouts once in a while with the athletic OL pulling. I like the committment to the run and then go downfield approach. Royal looks very athletic to me. Parrish could be a very valuable player only getting four passes a game thrown to him. Evans is a stud, IMO. Willis could have a good year.

This offense is very likely going to be very frustating, because it's new and because of Losman, but it should be very exciting a lot of times, too.