Troy Aikman is easily the best NFL analyst

on TV. I don't think it's even close. And he keeps getting better. He's well prepared. He's not afraid to criticize players. He's got a good voice. He doesn't just spew stuff endlessly. He knows the game. I have thought it for some time but he's really getting good. Pretty good player, too.

He's ok, not the best.  He states the obvious as much as Madden but nobody notices or cares or quotes him on it because his name isn't Madden.

745833[/snapback]

Stating the obvious is one of the pre-requisites. It's impossible not to. Name one better. If you get 3-4 gems or things you didn't know a game you're doing well.

I agree, but Madden takes hell for it and he's much funnier.

745838[/snapback]

He used to be. It's impossible, also, to keep up a gimmick like his for more than 5-6 years. Most people hate Madden now, and I understand it. I don't hate him as much as most because I understand how difficult a job it is and take that into account.

I loved what Aikman just said about "there are VERY few players in this league that mean it when they say they are all for the team. They only mean it when it works out for them individually." You just don't get that honesty a lot.

Stating the obvious is one of the pre-requisites. It's impossible not to. Name one better. If you get 3-4 gems or things you didn't know a game you're doing well.

745835[/snapback]

As much as I hate to admit it I really like Sterling Sharp as a color man. He's the only guy I know of that isn't afraid to actually break down what is happening on the field, even if it goes over the viewer's head. I don't care for his delivery much and he's a little rougharound the edges, but in terms of pure info given I don't think there's anybody better.

Too bad they put him with know it all Joe Buck.

745831[/snapback]

Yes that guy is now pratically intolerable for me. No one has made more of a living off his dad's name than Joe Buck, other than maybe that dopey Budwieser guy they keep showing on theri commericals.

As much as I hate to admit it I really like Sterling Sharp as a color man.  He's the only guy I know of that isn't afraid to actually break down what is happening on the field, even if it goes over the viewer's head.  I don't care for his delivery much and he's a little rougharound the edges, but in terms of pure info given I don't think there's anybody better.

745845[/snapback]

I like Sharpe, too. Your analysis is dead on, IMO, can you talk live into a mike with millions watching? :) I think Sharpe is a lot funnier than Madden, too.

on TV. I don't think it's even close. And he keeps getting better. He's well prepared. He's not afraid to criticize players. He's got a good voice. He doesn't just spew stuff endlessly. He knows the game. I have thought it for some time but he's really getting good. Pretty good player, too.

745829[/snapback]

I totally agree, he started out a little rough but he has become the best color analyst in sports, not just football. He actually prepares which it seems most guys dont do

Aikman is what Madden used to be

I heard somewhere that Joe Buck was going to be the FOX pregame host....

Aikman, as much as I hated him as a player, is a real pleasure to listen to for the technical and side commentary that makes for a good color analyst. Doesn't go overboard and flail his arms, jump up and down for attention like a lot of guys do in the same spot.

And I have to disagree a little and say that Madden has gotten much better in the past 2-3 seasons. I think ABC & NBC got him better handlers, or a speech coach or something.

As has been said, it's not an easy thing to do.

As much as I hate to admit it I really like Sterling Sharp as a color man.  He's the only guy I know of that isn't afraid to actually break down what is happening on the field, even if it goes over the viewer's head.  I don't care for his delivery much and he's a little rougharound the edges, but in terms of pure info given I don't think there's anybody better.

745845[/snapback]

You really like Sterling Sharp as a colore"ed" man? dude, that's racist and not cool.

<_<

He used to be. It's impossible, also, to keep up a gimmick like his for more than 5-6 years. Most people hate Madden now, and I understand it. I don't hate him as much as most because I understand how difficult a job it is and take that into account.

I loved what Aikman just said about "there are VERY few players in this league that mean it when they say they are all for the team. They only mean it when it works out for them individually." You just don't get that honesty a lot.

745843[/snapback]

I think Aikman is really good too, but Joe Buck is perhaps my least favorite play by play guy, of all of the big broadcast teams...people get on him because they say he always sounds too serious, but if I had to sit next to Joe Buck for 5 or 6 hours every Sunday, I would likely feel a bit constipated too....

My alltime favorites were Maguire and Albert, and Dick Enberg and anyone (except maybe Bill Walsh!) Probably because they did most of the great Bills games during the Super Bowl years.

I know most people hate him, but I have always thought Chris Collinsworth was pretty damn good, and pretty insightful...Boomer Esiason is not bad either. Maybe, as they get further away from their playing days, and the guys playing forget that these guys were once great players, they get less and less of an insider view of things...I thought Phil Simms was good for a while, bu not so much anymore....

As for Madden, I think he has improved tremendously, since pared up with Al Michaels. I like the two of them together...I think Madden started getting "old" because he was teamed with the way over the hill Pat Summerall for too long...I almost imagined the two of them dozing off in the booth from time to time...whatever magic the two of them had early on, was lost the last 5 years or so, that they were together...I am still kind of bummed that MNF went to ESPN...although I am glad NBC is back in the game, I finally felt, with Madden & Michaels, MNF felt like MNF again....

I think Aikman is really good too, but Joe Buck is perhaps my least favorite play by play guy, of all of the big broadcast teams...people get on him because they say he always sounds too serious, but if I had to sit next to Joe Buck for 5 or 6 hours every Sunday, I would likely feel a bit constipated too....

My alltime favorites were Maguire and Albert, and Dick Enberg and anyone (except maybe Bill Walsh!)  Probably because they did most of the great Bills games during the Super Bowl years.

I know most people hate him, but I have always thought Chris Collinsworth was pretty damn good, and pretty insightful...Boomer Esiason is not bad either.  Maybe, as they get further away from their playing days, and the guys playing forget that these guys were once great players, they get less and less of an insider view of things...I thought Phil Simms was good for a while, bu not so much anymore....

As for Madden, I think he has improved tremendously, since pared up with Al Michaels.  I like the two of them together...I think Madden started getting "old" because he was teamed with the way over the hill Pat Summerall for too long...I almost imagined the two of them dozing off in the booth from time to time...whatever magic the two of them had early on, was lost the last 5 years or so, that they were together...I am still kind of bummed that MNF went to ESPN...although I am glad NBC is back in the game, I finally felt, with Madden & Michaels, MNF felt like MNF again....

745953[/snapback]

I prefer to go to the sportsbar and not hear any of them. There's nothing I have learned from any of these mouthpieces. Phil Simms, I thought was pretty good, though. The rest are not worth turning up the dial. BTW, FK Troy Aikman. No way he should have been a first vote ballot to the Hall over the Thurminator. Still pisses me off to this day. The NFL is a sham.

Anybody tired of the T.O. report on ESPN every night? It's sickening. What a POS network.

Aikman has really grown on me, and he did a great job last night. The only thing I found curious was his comment after they promoted the Eagles/Cowboys game on Fox. Buck, who I prefer least of all announcers right now, asked Aikman how he thought TO would be received. Aikman said he figured he would not be well-received, and then added something to the effect of "but I'm not sure I know what I'm talking about after seeing a player who treated an organization so poorly receive a standing ovation when he returned to their stadium."

He should have just mentioned Moss by name, and I'm not sure why he didn't.

But he really does a great job breaking down the games, unlike what you saw with the new MNF crew, which seemingly had no desire to discuss the game they were watching (except for Theesman, of course).

Agree 100%.  Joe Buck is terrible. Nepotism anyone?

745872[/snapback]

I liked Joe when he first started, but his act is too tiresome now. He tries too hard to be entertaining. Putting him with Aikman is ok, but watching baseball with him & McCarver is too much. If Joe would just call the game, he'd be more tolerable.

Maybe the only guy who can give Joe Thiesman a run for his money on the annoyameter.

745886[/snapback]

I also liked Maguire for a while, but once they put him & Theismann together, he turned bad. He spent most of his time arguing with Thiesmann and then degenerated into an entertainer and away from a football analyst. I'm sure E$PN had a lot to do with that....

He spent most of his time arguing with Thiesmann and then degenerated into an entertainer and away from a football analyst. I'm sure E$PN had a lot to do with that....

746222[/snapback]

Nothing worse than someone who isnt remotely funny thinking he is. Thats Paul. He hasnt come close to making me smile once. Except when the game ends.

Hey K-dog, did you catch the Cards/Patsy game last night? Not sure who the announcer was with Sharpe, but I have to say the NFL Network did a very good job covering the game. Sharpe was just a little melodramatic, but in all I was pleasantly surprised at what a nice job they did.

It got a little annoying with them constantly saying "if you don't get NFL Network, call you cable provider," but overall not a bad outing.

Hey K-dog, did you catch the Cards/Patsy game last night? Not sure who the announcer was with Sharpe, but I have to say the NFL Network did a very good job covering the game. Sharpe was just a little melodramatic, but in all I was pleasantly surprised at what a nice job they did.

It got a little annoying with them constantly saying "if you don't get NFL Network, call you cable provider," but overall not a bad outing.

747864[/snapback]

I was disappointed in Sharpe last night and I usually kinda like him. He kept on saying the exact same things over and over, and he made some ridiculous assumptions/predictions IMO.

The play-by-play guy was some dude named Spero Dedes whom I had never seen before and he was pretty decent. I liked that he didn't try to dominate the dialogue or stick his opinion in, or try to be funny, he just did his job pretty darn well and managed the broadcast.

Both the play-by-play and analyst jobs in any sport are very difficult and if you don't notice a guy that is actually a compliment, because like smells, there are a lot more bad ones than good ones. And a bad announcer can ruin a viewing experience, but a non-descript one or unnoticeable one never will.

Collinsworth isn't that bad either.  And Esiason in the studios at CBS was at the top of his game too.

745907[/snapback]

I can't stand Collinsworth, he's by far my least favorite. As for Troy A., as much as I hated that guy when he played, I really enjoy listening to him call games. I guess I'm the only one who likes Joe Buck on this board; that might have something to do with the home-town bias though.

I was disappointed in Sharpe last night and I usually kinda like him. He kept on saying the exact same things over and over, and he made some ridiculous assumptions/predictions IMO.

747872[/snapback]

Yeah, I'll give ya that. It's like he found something cool to say and wanted to keep saying it: Tom Brady loves to throw to his favorite receiver...the open one.

But I think they'll do some good work as the year progresses, provided they stay away from the EPSN/WWF-ish style of delivering games.

He's ok, not the best.  He states the obvious as much as Madden but nobody notices or cares or quotes him on it because his name isn't Madden.

745833[/snapback]

Oh man, BuffOrange, that sig line of yours is HILLARIOUS!!!

If I were the Brothers Sklar, I would assert, that that sig line is THE HILLARIO (after International Phenom NE NE or NAY NAY HILLARIO).