Bills v. Panthers

Lori

BUFFALO BILLS at CAROLINA PANTHERS

SATURDAY, AUGUST 12, 2006 – 7:30 PM EDT

BANK OF AMERICA STADIUM – CHARLOTTE, NC

TELEVISION: WKBW (Channel 7 – Buffalo) / WHAM (Channel 13 – Rochester)

PLAY-BY-PLAY: Gus Johnson

COLOR ANALYST: Steve Tasker

RADIO: 97 Rock (96.9 FM) / 103.3 FM

PLAY-BY-PLAY: John Murphy

COLOR ANALYST: Mark Kelso

SIDELINE REPORTER: Paul Peck

SIRIUS SUNDAY DRIVE: Channel 130

REGULAR-SEASON SERIES RECORD: Buffalo leads, 3-1.

LAST MEETING: November 27, 2005 – Panthers 13, Bills 9

Neither team could put the ball in the end zone until late in the fourth quarter, when a short Jake Delhomme-to-Michael Gaines pass with 2:16 remaining gave Carolina the lead for good. With the win, the 8-3 Panthers opened up a one-game lead over both Tampa Bay and Atlanta in the NFC South. Buffalo fell to 4-7.

LAST TIME IN CHARLOTTE: October 25, 1998 – Bills 30, Panthers 14

Eric Moulds caught two touchdown passes from Doug Flutie in this ESPN prime-time tilt, including a dazzling 82-yard catch-and-run midway through the second quarter to give the Bills a 17-7 halftime lead. Buffalo added two more Steve Christie FGs and a 17-yard Thurman Thomas touchdown run in the second half to cap off their fourth straight win. The Panthers remained winless at 0-7; they’d finish the season -- and coach Dom Capers’s tenure in Carolina -- with a 4-12 record.

Tarheel alumni Jonathan Linton and Thomas Smith enjoyed the trip home. Linton led a balanced rushing attack with 53 yards on 10 carries, while Smith tied for the team lead with six tackles and knocked down two Steve Beuerlein passes in the Bills’ end zone.

PANTHERS OVERVIEW (2005 final rankings)

OFFENSE (#22 total yardage, #19 rushing, #17 passing, #8 scoring):

The Carolina offense was hampered by the lack of a serious receiving threat opposite Steve Smith last year, making his All-Pro season even more remarkable. Enter Keyshawn Johnson. Even though the former #1 overall pick is on the downside of his career, he should provide an immediate upgrade over 2005 starter Keary Colbert’s 25-catch, two-touchdown performance. Colbert might not even keep the #3 job; he'll be pushed by 2004 fifth-round selection Drew Carter, who averaged over twenty yards per catch in limited playing time last season.

The Panthers TEs are decent blockers, but won’t remind anyone of Wesley Walls. I liked what I saw from fifth-round pick Jeff King at Virginia Tech; a decent preseason could earn him a spot on the 53-man roster.

With the release of Stephen Davis, DeShaun Foster inherits the full-time tailback job. He’s never managed to play a full sixteen-game season, though, so the team drafted Memphis RB DeAngelo Williams with their first-round pick. Last year’s second-rounder, Eric Shelton (Louisville), should see significant playing time during the preseason; he spent all of 2005 on I.R. with a foot injury. Nick Goings, special-teamer Jamal Robertson, and fullback Brad Hoover provide veteran depth at the position.

UDFA/NFL Europe alumnus Jake Delhomme may not have the prototypical ‘pedigree’ at QB, but he’s led the team to two NFC Championship games and a Super Bowl appearance in the last three seasons. Chris Weinke returns as the backup, but his 1-15 career record as a starter should have Panthers fans hoping for Delhomme’s continued good health. Either Stefan LeFors (Louisville) or rookie Brett Basanez (Northwestern) will be the #3 QB.

Tackles Jordan Gross and Travelle Wharton and Pro Bowl LG Mike Wahle return from last year’s line. The coaching staff thinks second-year player Evan Mathis is ready to step in at RG, so Tutan Reyes was allowed to leave in the offseason. Justin Hartwig (Titans) was signed to replace Jeff Mitchell at center.

DEFENSE (#3 total yardage, #4 rushing, #9 passing, #5 scoring):

If Marv Levy and Dick Jauron were looking for an early test for the revamped offensive line, they’ll certainly get one this week – three of the four projected starters on the Panthers’ defensive line have Pro Bowl appearances on their résumés. DT Kris Jenkins, coming back from a knee injury that ended his season after only one game, is on schedule to be ready for the 2006 opener. At DE, there aren’t many starting tandems better than Julius Peppers and Mike Rucker. (And just think -- if the Bills had lost to Carolina in 2001, they could have drafted Peppers instead of Mike Williams…)

While Jordan Carstens played well in Jenkins’ absence, the team decided to upgrade their depth at tackle. Aging Brentson Buckner was released; massive Ma’ake Kemoeatu (Ravens) and former first-round pick Damione Lewis (Rams) were signed early in free agency. If Jenkins and Kemoeatu start, inside rushing yards will be tough to come by.

Dan Morgan is the only returning starter at LB. Brandon Short is back with the Giants, while Will Witherspoon moves to MLB in St. Louis. 2005 first-round pick Thomas Davis is at the top of the depth chart at WLB; FA signees Na’il Diggs (Packers) and Keith Adams (Eagles) will compete for the SLB job. Former Falcons starter Chris Draft is a solid backup at MLB – an important consideration, since Morgan can’t seem to stay healthy.

Three of the four secondary positions are set. CBs Ken Lucas and Chris Gamble are talented, if sometimes inconsistent. Reggie Howard started Super Bowl XXXVIII at CB for the Panthers, but was released that offseason and spent the last two years in Miami. He’ll battle second-round pick Richard Marshall at nickel back.

FS Mike Minter is back for his tenth season in a Carolina uniform; he hasn’t missed a start since 2001. Colin Branch returns from a torn ACL that wiped out his entire 2005 season, with Shaun Williams and rookie Nate Salley, Donte Whitner’s running mate at Ohio State, also in the mix.

SPECIAL TEAMS:

Kicker John Kasay (the last original Panther) and punter Jason Baker already have their roster spots locked up. Kasay has missed some practice time with a sore leg, though, so MacKenzie Hoambrecker will probably handle the kicking duties Saturday night. With Rod Smart in Oakland and the team possibly looking to cut back on Steve Smith’s workload, both return jobs should be up for grabs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OUTLOOK:

The Panthers are a popular Super Bowl pick this season, with few holes to fill and nothing to prove during the preseason. Expect their starters to head for the bench early in this one.

On the other sideline, the Bills still have too many questions and not enough answers. Competitions for several starting positions -- including center, where Melvin Fowler has yet to impress me -- make this game worth watching past the first commercial break.

Links:

Ourlads.com: Panthers depth chart

Official team website: Panthers.com

Dosen't matter!

A win would be great, but we have way too much evaluating to do before the start of the season to worry about a win!

740196[/snapback]

Oh no, you are wrong, if we lose this game it will stamp in the players mind a losing mentality. I hope they play the starters into the third quarter

BUFFALO BILLS at CAROLINA PANTHERS

SATURDAY, AUGUST 12, 2006 – 7:30 PM EDT

BANK OF AMERICA STADIUM – CHARLOTTE, NC

TELEVISION: WKBW (Channel 7 – Buffalo) / WHAM (Channel 13 – Rochester)

PLAY-BY-PLAY: Gus Johnson

COLOR ANALYST: Steve Tasker

739987[/snapback]

Syracuse - Channel 5 - WTVH

Not sure about radio, if I find out, I'll post it here also.

Eric Moulds caught two touchdown passes from Doug Flutie in this ESPN prime-time tilt, including a dazzling 82-yard catch-and-run midway through the second quarter to give the Bills a 17-7 halftime lead. 

739987[/snapback]

A young and explosive Eric Moulds on an 82-yd catch and run. Was that really eight years ago??? Where has the time gone?

Colbert might not even keep the #3 job; he'll be pushed by 2004 fifth-round selection Drew Carter, who averaged over twenty yards per catch in limited playing time last season.

739987[/snapback]

Good lookin out Lori...This will be something to watch. Colbert lit it up as a rook in '04 but regressed last year. Carter wasn't even active until week 13 last year, but he made the most of his time. And like you said, I will be interested in watching Fowler at C for the Bills.

Overall, great preview, but with one glaring omission: We need some preseason TopCats info!!! Where will the lesbo action go down (pun intended!) this year???

Melvin Fowler has yet to impress me

739987[/snapback]

I certainly respect your opinion, but your comment doesn't really jive with what Allen Wilson reports in this article ...specifically, this passage:

"When the team signed C Melvin Fowler, it hoped for a guy who could help anchor the line. So far, he has not disappointed. The team liked Fowler because he's quicker and more athletic than predecessor Trey Teague, who was released during the offseason. Fowler's mobility allows him to pull on traps and sweeps as well as fire out and block moving targets on the second level of the defense. Fowler doesn't just rely on his athleticism. He is a fundamentally sound player who uses sound techniques and plays with good leverage most of the time. He also has the smarts to make the proper line calls and adjustments."

Eric Moulds caught two touchdown passes from Doug Flutie in this ESPN prime-time tilt, including a dazzling 82-yard catch-and-run midway through the second quarter to give the Bills a 17-7 halftime lead. Buffalo added two more Steve Christie FGs and a 17-yard Thurman Thomas touchdown run in the second half to cap off their fourth straight win. The Panthers remained winless at 0-7; they’d finish the season -- and coach Dom Capers’s tenure in Carolina -- with a 4-12 record.

Tarheel alumni Jonathan Linton and Thomas Smith enjoyed the trip home. Linton led a balanced rushing attack with 53 yards on 10 carries, while Smith tied for the team lead with six tackles and knocked down two Steve Beuerlein passes in the Bills’ end zone.

I was at that game. :D My wife's father lived in Raleigh at the time and got us tickets to the game. Those Moulds TDs were spectacular! There were several other Bills fans sitting in our section. Near the end of the game some drunken a-hole Carolina fan, stumbling down the stairs, starting slurring at us to go home and that all Buffalo had was snow. Even the Carolina fans told him to sit down and shut up...nothing like shooting off your mouth when your team sucks. :doh:

Syracuse - Channel 5 - WTVH

Not sure about radio, if I find out, I'll post it here also.

740324[/snapback]

Jack, any idea if Sirius streams the games online? It doesn't appear as if they carry the NFL Network online and I can't seem to find any info. I don't seem to be having much success getting reception with the home docking kit. Thanks.