Dante's agent is doing him a great disservice

When you have a GM telling a agent that his player is on the verge of losing his chance at a starting spot over something that should be able to be worked out...the agent is doing him any favors.....

I gotta say....this has the feeling to me of the agent trying to make a name for himself with upcoming clients then it does about looking out for Whitner....

Whitner needs to can this fool

When you have a GM telling a agent that his player is on the verge of losing his chance at a starting spot over something that should be able to be worked out...the agent is doing him any favors.....

I gotta say....this has the feeling to me of the agent trying to make a name for himself with upcoming clients then it does about looking out for Whitner....

732258[/snapback]

Not knowing what the offer is nor what it is Whitner wants, I can't affix blame on the player, the agent or the GM. The offer might not be a fair one for all we know and if that were the case, that agent would be doing his client a disservice to tell him to sign anyway.

Not knowing what the offer is nor what it is Whitner wants, I can't affix blame on the player, the agent or the GM.  The offer might not be a fair one for all we know and if that were the case, that agent would be doing his client a disservice to tell him to sign anyway.

732275[/snapback]

According to an article in another thread, Marv said the offer is right in the middle of Huff's and Sims'. Doesn't really sound like much his agent has to argue with.

Not knowing what the offer is nor what it is Whitner wants, I can't affix blame on the player, the agent or the GM.  The offer might not be a fair one for all we know and if that were the case, that agent would be doing his client a disservice to tell him to sign anyway.

732275[/snapback]

I dont know why Levy would have any reason to lie (I give Marv more credit then that) because he said that the offer was right in the middle of what the guy before him and after him got.....

Sounds fair to me......:D

732258[/snapback]

I love these types of posts. You know virtually nothing of the negotiations or of the contracts the players sign other than what gets printed in the paper, yet you're absolutely certain that it's the agent's fault and Whitner should can him.

I want Whitner in camp too but I’m not going to take sides as I don’t have an f’in clue what’s going on.

I love these types of posts.  You know virtually nothing of the negotiations or of the contracts the players sign other than what gets printed in the paper, yet you're absolutely certain that it's the agent's fault and Whitner should can him.

I want Whitner in camp too but I’m not going to take sides as I don’t have an f’in clue what’s going on.

732297[/snapback]

Bottom line....he should be in camp. Regardless of who is holding it up. I as a fan certainly dont want Bowen starting the season.....

I dont know why Levy would have any reason to lie (I give Marv more credit then that) because he said that the offer was right in the middle of what the guy before him and after him got.....

Sounds fair to me......:D

732281[/snapback]

There is a lot more to a contract than just the amount. How much is guaranteed? Are there incentives and if so, what are they? If there is going to be a voidable year, under what terms? "The offer was right in the middle..." doesn't tell us much.

I don't think his agent would be having him miss this much camp if there wasn't something significant missing from the contract. Guys don't hold out for nothing. There clearly is a problem that we aren't being told.

There is a lot more to a contract than just the amount.  How much is guaranteed?  Are there incentives and if so, what are they?  If there is going to be a voidable year, under what terms?  "The offer was right in the middle..." doesn't tell us much.

I don't think his agent would be having him miss this much camp if there wasn't something significant missing from the contract.  Guys don't hold out for nothing.  There clearly is a problem that we aren't being told.

732349[/snapback]

Maybe he's just emulating Nate Clements another Ohio alumnist...he's the best at the position and deserves the big contract! Too bad rookies are "slotted," however. :D

I do agree, it would seem something significant is missing from the contract, if not, his agent is doing him a disservice.

That 6th year is very significant, if that is what the Bills are holding out for. The player is in his prime. If he hasn't lived up to expectations, the team will cut him and he gets nothing but is free to go elsewhere. If he DOES however, and surely every single one of these guys and their agents believe 100% that they will be better than advertised, the team has all the leverage. And it could cost the player millions. So it is not just a throwaway year. Especially, IIRC, that Huff and Sims both signed 5 year deals sandwiched around him.

Clearly Marv is negotiating through the press. You can go ahead and assume fault lies with the agent, but Marv is doing exactly the opposite with Whitner: playing mind games with him, pressuring him based on his falling behind, trying to make him lose his sense of security, etc.

Why do you think the agent told him to can the 4 phone numbers? So Marv and Dick can't call him up and fill him full of fear and self-doubt.

Without any info, you have no idea who is being the stinkers. Of course, the natural tendency is to believe Marv is being eminently fair and it is just that no good snake in the grass agent that is holding things up, looking out for himself.

But it can just easily be Marv and the Bills playing a little hard ball, and then using the press to their advantage. The thing about any tough negotation is both sides think they are right, fair and reasonable. One could just as easily say, come on Marv, what's a few hundred thousand more, or an option year to get your #1 into camp!

All Marv said about the deal is that it's somewhere in between, he didn't say it was heavily skewed toward the top rather than the bottom. And saying that it's somewhere in the middle is muddying the water just a bit.

We need to just keep our panties unbunched for a few more days until both sides give a little to get it done.

Clearly Marv is negotiating through the press.  You can go ahead and assume fault lies with the agent, but Marv is doing exactly the opposite with Whitner: playing mind games with him, pressuring him based on his falling behind, trying to make him lose his sense of security, etc.

Why do you think the agent told him to can the 4 phone numbers?  So Marv and Dick can't call him up and fill him full of fear and self-doubt.

Without any info, you have no idea who is being the stinkers.  Of course, the natural tendency is to believe Marv is being eminently fair and it is just that no good snake in the grass agent that is holding things up, looking out for himself.

But it can just easily be Marv and the Bills playing a little hard ball, and then using the press to their advantage.  The thing about any tough negotation is both sides think they are right, fair and reasonable.  One could just as easily say, come on Marv, what's a few hundred thousand more, or an option year to get your #1 into camp!

All Marv said about the deal is that it's somewhere in between, he didn't say it was heavily skewed toward the top rather than the bottom.  And saying that it's somewhere in the middle is muddying the water just a bit.

We need to just keep our panties unbunched for a few more days until both sides give a little to get it done.

732399[/snapback]

Except that Marv says he doesn't even concern himself with the negotiations and the salary cap. Overdorf does it all. I'm sure Marv is kept abreast of virtually everything said, but I really do believe this is all Overdorf who is doing what he believes is best, in constant conference with Ralph and Marv.

Although, yes, clearly Marv is negotiating through the press as part of his GM job.

This is gonna sound strange but how do we know it's not the Bills negotiator that is causing the problem? From many of the training camp reports around here it seems that Bowen is at least capable. How do we know that, as each day passes by, the Bills aren't saying "Hey, look at Bowen today, your guy isn't as important as you say"? The more days Bowen does well, the more difficult DW's bargaining position becomes. If Bowen keeps this up, time becomes DW's enemy.

Or, I could be full of crap. I'm bettin on the latter. :D

If you draft a guy that high, you have to think the world of what he can do to help this team win. The job of the personnel people is get the best palyers they can lay their mitts on and jam them into a Bills uniform. I have no love lost for sports agents and I'm sure Whitner's is a piece of work but you know, that is the way of it in the modern NFL. Its why Ralph pays the personnel people what he pays them, to find a way through all the greed, self interest and contractual sideshows to get these guys in the locker room. Right now our top pick is playing video games and ordering out. Lets get this guy in camp.

We don't know diddly about what is going on behind the curtain so lets not rush to label somebody as the villian...yet. Save something to post about for next week. :D

If what is going on here is that Whitner wants an amount of money that is anything different that being about equidistant from Huff taken just before him and Sims taken after him its Whitner's fault.

If on the other hand the dispute is about the Bills wanting a contract for 6 years when Huff and Sims both signed for 5 years, the fault is on the Bills.

If there is general agreement on the amount and on the time but debate between the two sides about the details (timing of bonuses etc, though the amounts are clear) then the fault is on both.

Unless posters have some actual knowledge of what items are in dispute here their conclusions about who is at fault are pretty worthless.

I love these types of posts.  You know virtually nothing of the negotiations or of the contracts the players sign other than what gets printed in the paper, yet you're absolutely certain that it's the agent's fault and Whitner should can him.

732297[/snapback]

right, but the way these things work is your money is slotted. #7 and #9 have signed, there really isn't that much to talk about anymore except length of the deal and since the BIlls can only ask for 6 years and #7 and #9 have gotten 5 it doesn't really seem like there's a big void to cross here.

If the agent isn't making contact, or avoiding contact he's the one screwing it up. It has to be weird for Levy to come out and say in a PC that they have no working numbers to contact the player.

The Bills really can't be at fault, they know the slotting as well as everyone else, it usually a stupid agent who thinks he can get more bank for the player in the form of a bonus, little does the player know that the agent's cut comes right off the top of any signing bonus so it's in the AGENTS interest to get as much cash up front as possible whether it's good for the player or not. Anyone who thkns agents really work for their client is crazy, agents work for themselves in the guise of helping the players.