REGGIE BUSH CONTEMPLATING SITTING OUT

He can't just sit out and re-enter the draft though...the Saints had the #2 pick and if he doesn't want to sign they just lose out on that pick? I don't think that's going to happen. What a greedy bastard Bush is....what is he wanting? 100 million????!!! As the #2 pick he should get at least 40 mill...that isn't enough? The more I hear about Bush the less I respect him.

727121[/snapback]

Word is, and i dont have the links but there were a few stories, that Bush wants #1 money, even tho he was the #2 pick. He thinks he should have been #1, and is the #1 player, so he deserves #1 money. What a prick.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What should worry fans in NO is that not signing Bush and the fan backlash could be used as a ploy to get the team out of NO.

If Bush is getting lowball offers, he'd be crazy to sign. The nonsense that #1 picks shouldn't care about the $ because it's an honor to play in the NFL is ridiculous. Whatever your profession is, if your employer was attempting to pay you say, 20% less than you can get from the typical employer, would you work or continue to work there because you consider it an honor to work there? -Get real!

He can't just sit out and re-enter the draft though...the Saints had the #2 pick and if he doesn't want to sign they just lose out on that pick? I don't think that's going to happen.

727121[/snapback]

Wouldn't be the first time... see Bo Jackson, drafted #1 overall by Tampa Bay in 1986, then taken again in the 5th round by the Raiders in 1987.

People are starting to realize why I liked Mario over Bush and thought Houston did the right thing.  :D

727230[/snapback]

I agree BlueFire.

What a shame this could potentially be. On the surface I look at this as a chess match, Bush made a big move and now the Saints will make theirs.

But Bush IMO could not have been placed in a better situation, in an area that so needs something positive, and Bush was providing that, spiking season ticket sales and in turn that would help the ravaged economy of New Orleans.

And now he goes and pulls this stunt. Classless, full of greed, and disgraseful. Well, at least ESPN can support Bush on this move.

Time to pick up Deuce McAllister in fantasy football.  Bush could !@#$ himself over pretty badly here - say he doesn't sign until the day before the season starts.  Now he's a backup.  Too late to learn the system, McAllister has a couple of good games, and he's on the bench for the season.

727139[/snapback]

See also: Benson, Cedric, RB, Chicago.

He can't just sit out and re-enter the draft though...the Saints had the #2 pick and if he doesn't want to sign they just lose out on that pick? I don't think that's going to happen. What a greedy bastard Bush is....what is he wanting? 100 million????!!! As the #2 pick he should get at least 40 mill...that isn't enough? The more I hear about Bush the less I respect him.

727121[/snapback]

i cant see that happening either...............when we drafted jim kelly he didnt want to sign with the bills and he went and played in the usfl......when the usfl folded jim kelly was still the property of the buffalo bills

i cant see that happening either...............when we drafted jim kelly he didnt want to sign with the bills and he went and played in the usfl......when the usfl folded jim kelly was still the property of the buffalo bills

727309[/snapback]

Difference being that Bush came out as a junior and still has college eligibility.

I think. :D

Difference being that Bush came out as a junior and still has college eligibility. 

I think. :D

727310[/snapback]

I think that having hired a free agent and being drafted negates remaining college eligibilty. Also, his rights are retained by NO, unless they release him.

727309[/snapback]

When a player is drafted by an NFL team, that team holds his rights for a couple years provided he does not re-enter the NFL draft

Jimbo didn't re-enter the NFL draft, he turned pro. Had the USFL lasted another year or 2 Jimbo would no longer have been Bills' property.

When a player is drafted by an NFL team, that team holds his rights for a couple years provided he does not re-enter the NFL draft

Jimbo didn't re-enter the NFL draft, he turned pro.  Had the USFL lasted another year or 2 Jimbo would no longer have been Bills' property.

727327[/snapback]

It would be interesting to see what happens if he gave thumbs down to NO and re-entered next year.

If they were united against him, would that smack of collusion?

Personally, I think 31 teams would break ranks and rub their foreparts like a fly over fresh dog doo for the opportunity to snag him. :D

Jimbo didn't re-enter the NFL draft, he turned pro.  Had the USFL lasted another year or 2 Jimbo would no longer have been Bills' property.

727327[/snapback]

For some strange reason, and I don't know if this rule still exists, if a player signed with another football league, the drafting team maintained his rights. If he did not sign a football contract, he goes back in the draft.

Examples: Tom Cousineau (CFL) Jim Kelly (USFL)-Bills retained rights. Bo Jackson-TB lost rights after 1 year. Henson would have gone back in the draft if he didn't sign (after Houston traded his rights) with Dallas.

For some strange reason, and I don't know if this rule still exists, if a player signed with another football league, the drafting team maintained his rights.  If he did not sign a football contract, he goes back in the draft. 

Examples: Tom Cousineau (CFL) Jim Kelly (USFL)-Bills retained rights.  Bo Jackson-TB lost rights after 1 year.  Henson would have gone back in the draft if he didn't sign (after Houston traded his rights) with Dallas.

727349[/snapback]

From what I could decipher from The NFL CBA at nflpa.org if a player signs with another league then the team that originally drafted him holds his rights for up to three years after he was drafted. However if he goes unsigned his rights are only maintained for one year.

From what I could decipher from The NFL CBA at nflpa.org if a player signs with another league then the team that originally drafted him holds his rights for up to three years after he was drafted. However if he goes unsigned his rights are only maintained for one year.

727530[/snapback]

Thats to stop someone who doesn't want to play for the team that drafted him, like Eli Manning and the Chargers, from crossing the northern border for a year.

A year is an eternity in a pro football career, so sitting out really isn't an option. They're going to want to play and keep themself in playing condition. So they sign up north. To keep players from doing this the NFL grants the team rights for 3 years.

Why 3 years? The players most likely to do this are 1st and 2nd rounders, whose biggest payday in their life comes when they sign their rookie contract. After 3 years in the CFL they'll be lucky if an NFL team invites them to training camp for the league minimum