Convince me Whitner was a good pick

MrLocke

My main problem with the Whitner pick is that I think that #8 is too high to pick a safety. I would say that even if Whitner ends up being a very solid player that Marv is not vindicated. My reason for saying is that many good safeties are found in the mid to late round of the draft. Rodney Harrison was a fifth round pick, John Lynch was a third round pick. The point being that someone with equal talent to Whitner could have been found later. I would say Whitner will have to be voted all pro a few times in his career and be in several Pro Bowls for Marv to be vindicated just because of where he selected Whitner. I think Whitner will have to be the type of player offensive coordinators fear. It would be just like this if Marv drafted a guard or a pure full-back at #8.

I know Sean Taylor and Roy Willliams were drafted around the same place as Whitner; however Whitner does not possess the same size as those two players. I think you grade Williams and Taylor higher if the talent is equal to Whitner based on the size.

Please Someone convince me this was a good pick. I liked what Coy Wire said in the Real Football 360 interview about the type of players Marv has been bringing in.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My main problem with the Whitner pick is that I think that #8 is too high to pick a safety. I would say that even if Whitner ends up being a very solid player that Marv is not vindicated. My reason for saying is that many good safeties are found in the mid to late round of the draft. Rodney Harrison was a fifth round pick, John Lynch was a third round pick. The point being that someone with equal talent to Whitner could have been found later. I would say Whitner will have to be voted all pro a few times in his career and be in several Pro Bowls for Marv to be vindicated just because of where he selected Whitner. I think Whitner will have to be the type of player offensive coordinators fear. It would be just like this if Marv drafted a guard or a pure full-back at #8. 

I know Sean Taylor and Roy Willliams drafted around the same place as Whitner; however Whitner does not possess the same size as those two players. I think you grade Williams and Taylor if the talent is equal to Whitner based on the size.

Please Someone convince me this was a good pick. I liked what Coy Wire said in the Real Football 360 piece about the type of players Marv has been bringing in.

726768[/snapback]

I'll tell you in about 20 weeks

This just in.

All Buffalo draft picks bad and their Free Agent acquisitions are trash.

Untill they win the SuperBowl that is.

You will have no self-respect nor esteem untill they win the big one just for you.

Is #8 too high a pick for an impact player that your team needed? F*** Mel Kiper and his band of tools! They don't run NFL franchises. No one ever holds them accountable for their predictions. No one keeps a scorecrd of how many their "can't-miss" picks fail miserably.

All Marv Levy is guilty of is making Kiper look stupid for not knowing the Bills needs better. That's all.

PTR

This just in.

All Buffalo draft picks bad and their Free Agent acquisitions are trash.

Untill they win the SuperBowl that is.

You will have no self-respect nor esteem untill they win the big one just for you.

726777[/snapback]

I loved the Youboty and Simpson picks. I am not so sure about Larry Tripplett because Indy's run defense wasn't good until they got Corey Simon. I loved the Price signing because I think it is low risk and if it works out Marv is sitting pretty. I have mixed feeling about Buffalo's off-season additions. The eighth pick in the draft is just too high to make a mistake on.

Is #8 too high a pick for an impact player that your team needed?  F*** Mel Kiper and his band of tools!  They don't run NFL franchises.  No one ever holds them accountable for their predictions.  No one keeps a scorecrd of how many their "can't-miss" picks fail miserably.

All Marv Levy is guilty of is making Kiper look stupid for not knowing the Bills needs better.  That's all.

PTR

726783[/snapback]

In all serioussness. I believe in the best availible athlete theory unless it is a qb, guard or safety.

I'll go with the "I'll tell you in 20 weeks" concept. If he's good or great, Marv looks like a genius. If he isn't, Marv doesn't look all that good. Pressed for a prediction, I'd say Marv has a pretty good nose for talent. Remember he was the one who brought Tasker here, and the drafts that got us to the Superbowl were put together in part by ML (although many will give Polian most of the credit.)

I know Sean Taylor and Roy Willliams were drafted around the same place as Whitner; however Whitner does not possess the same size as those two players. I think you grade Williams and Taylor higher if the talent is equal to Whitner based on the size.

Please Someone convince me this was a good pick. I liked what Coy Wire said in the Real Football 360 interview about the type of players Marv has been bringing in.

726768[/snapback]

There are hundreds of threads, dating back to the day of the draft and many week past, that cover this topic ad nauseum.

Bottom line -- If he turns out to be a star player then it is a good pic, no matter what round, not matter what position. The whole ESPN "value" rating is just bizzare.

#1 is too high to pick a QB--ask the Chargers about Ryan Leaf. Ask Tim Couch, ask Detroit about Joey Harrington at number 4 overall. It all depends on how well they play. If Whitner is an All-Pro in a few years and plays well this year then it is a great pick. You also have to think about who else we would have picked. The only legitimate ones were Bunkley or Ngata. Ngata probably would not have fit in well with our new defense and Bunkley was a one year wonder with lots of potential but many motivational problems in the past. There were no OL worth picking, and the last thing we needed was to waste a pick on Matt Leinart. Leinart in Buffalo would have been a failure. Whitner was a safe reliable pick that I believe will play out very well over time.

#1 is too high to pick a QB--ask the Chargers about Ryan Leaf.  Ask Tim Couch, ask Detroit about Joey Harrington at number 4 overall.  It all depends on how well they play. 

726813[/snapback]

I agree with this last sentence. Not the rest. Ask the Eagles about McNabb or the Colts about Manning or the Chiefs about Ryan Simms or the Bills about Mike Williams. You can ask any number of teams about any number of positions that were busts. QB's aren't that much different than other positions in that sense that 1st rounders are more likely to be successful, though there are lots of exceptions.

Personally I wasn't a fan of the Whitner pick but like udonkey said, I'm willing to reserve judgement till I see him play.

At least Whitner isn't holding out. I wonder if people still want Bunkley at no.8 after he couldn't pick up Eagles defense scheme at OTA and then hold out at training camp.

http://eagles.scout.com/2/548366.html

scout.com has learned Philadelphia Eagles first-round pick DT Brodrick Bunkley will not be reporting to the team's training camp headquarters Thursday at Lehigh University.

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/fo...ll/15086870.htm

The Eagles are concerned that Bunkley isn't signed.

"It's tough on rookies, particularly at that position," Reid said. "If you go back and do some of your work on the history of defensive tackles over the last few years, their success rate... when you miss practice, it's tough to get yourself in the flow. It just happens that that position jumps out at you."

just a couple of things.... Harrington was #3 in his draft, Mike Williams was the imfamous #4! Donte Whitner might be special due to the fact that he is uncommon amongst safeties. Roy Williams and Sean Taylor were mentioned and neither one of these guys could swing out to CB at all. I believe Whitner can! His "40" time was 4.37 sec. and that is grounds to think that he could play there until Youboty is ready, as an example (like if Nate leaves). He is versatile enough to play SS or FS, so his value is greater in my eyes than most! Finally, the review that inevitably follows every draft is always full of experts who are paid to make noise, in my estimation. ESPN, for instance, is solely tied to Mel Kiper exclusively! The April 29th coverage will ALWAYS be poor IF Kiper doesn't quite see the "wisdom" of the Bills front office picks. He had McCargo as a 3rd or 4th rounder, so draw your OWN conclusions. One thing is abundantly clear however, he IS a Buffalo Bill, and I'm definately on-board with this selection!

because our #1 priority was SS.

because after Whitner the next best SS was at best a 2nd round player.

because we needed the SS to start this year.

because we can get our 2nd most needed position (DT) later in the 1st round.

because he is a great prospect who could have easily been taken only a few spots after where we got him at.

because if we traded down, we risked loosing him and settling for WIRE as our starting SS.

and finally, because the only better player at that position was already taken.

and finally, because the only better player at that position was already taken.

726862[/snapback]

From watching videos of the two, I really don't think Huff is better. He had all the hype, but he seemed to do a lot of floating and shoulder tackled. Whitner seemed to play much faster and tackle way better. Seemed way more intense too.

Oh for Pete's sake here we go again. The sacred, "you don't take a safety with the top 10 pick."

This stems from the old lineups when Mark Kelso could be a solid safety and Dwight Drane could make an NFL club. And while you had freak TEs like Dave Kasper and Russ Francis, there were only two of them and they didn't run like Antonio Gates or Tony Gonzales.

There was also a time when shortstops didn't hit 20 home runs.

726768[/snapback]

I think Tom Brady was a 6th round pick....I understand where you are coming from but you can make this same point for any position. See Jason Peters for another example.