it's official: marv sez we're in "rebuilding mode"

expectations are being lowered as i write:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+W...tm?mode=afceast

GM/football operations Marv Levy didn’t skirt the issue when asked by PFW if the Bills are in rebuilding mode. “I would have to say it does fit that description,” said Levy. “You have a new GM, a new head coach and coaching staff. Some of the players that had been in the league a long time — Lawyer Milloy, Eric Moulds, Sam Adams, Mike Williams — are no longer here. We were pretty active in free agency, not necessarily for blockbuster names, but guys that seem to fit. We had nine draft choices. … Yeah, I would say we fit that. But a lot of teams fit that description.” Levy also told PFW he’s confident head coach Dick Jauron and his staff are the right people to get the franchise back on a winning track. “First of all, I think we’ve put together an excellent coaching staff. It’s never an excellent coach. It starts with the head coach, but it’s all about the entire staff. They’re instituting a style of play that I like very much — it’s based on simplicity, hustle, conditioning, repetition, not on mirrors and bells and whistles.”

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

expectations are being lowered as i write:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+W...tm?mode=afceast

GM/football operations Marv Levy didn’t skirt the issue when asked by PFW if the Bills are in rebuilding mode. “I would have to say it does fit that description,” said Levy. “You have a new GM, a new head coach and coaching staff. Some of the players that had been in the league a long time — Lawyer Milloy, Eric Moulds, Sam Adams, Mike Williams — are no longer here. We were pretty active in free agency, not necessarily for blockbuster names, but guys that seem to fit. We had nine draft choices. … Yeah, I would say we fit that. But a lot of teams fit that description.” Levy also told PFW he’s confident head coach Dick Jauron and his staff are the right people to get the franchise back on a winning track. “First of all, I think we’ve put together an excellent coaching staff. It’s never an excellent coach. It starts with the head coach, but it’s all about the entire staff. They’re instituting a style of play that I like very much — it’s based on simplicity, hustle, conditioning, repetition, not on mirrors and bells and whistles.”

721939[/snapback]

That seems to me like an indirect reference to Meathead. Thank god for that

And this is news to anyone... how?

It's not like Marv just took a look at the roster and changed his forecast for this year from 10-6 to 3-13. It's at 0-0. And I also take him to be smarter than to say we're not re-building, b/c it's glaringly obvious. In more or less a degree, 32 out of 32 teams are.

What I will say is that I love the backhand he gave MM in the last quote. It gives me hope.

Like we did not know that we are rebuilding. I think it is painfully obvious that we are starting from the ground up which is good as long as we get this thing going on the right track. I like the draft I like the FA moves, lets see if DJ and the rest of the clowns can get us back to early 90's dominance. If not theres always hockey...

No big deal to me, Marv's just stating the obvious.

721944[/snapback]

disagree. gms only say that sort of thing when their own expectations are pretty low and they're trying to manage fans' expectations. it's one thing for jerry sullivan -- or you or i -- to say the bills are in rebuilding mode, but it's entirely different if the public face (and head cheerleader) for the team says it. donohoe never said it, even in his first year in buffalo. indeed, if memory serves, he said before the season that the bills should compete for the playoffs.

disagree. gms only say that sort of thing when their own expectations are pretty low and they're trying to manage fans' expectations. it's one thing for jerry sullivan -- or you or i -- to say the bills are in rebuilding mode, but it's entirely different if the public face (and head cheerleader) for the team says it. donohoe never said it, even in his first year in buffalo. indeed, if memory serves, he said before the season that the bills should compete for the playoffs.

I'd rather listen to Marv's honesty than TD doublespeak any day of the week. I was so sick of hearing the TD/GW/MM doublespeak that they all seemed to morph together into a caricature of the Iraqi press secretary while we were invading.

indeed, if memory serves, he said before the season that the bills should compete for the playoffs.

721950[/snapback]

Just goes to show how delusional he was.

Don't fret. No one has reported seeing Marv buying white flags in bulk at Wegmans. Yet.

I'd rather have someone who's honest and says it's going to take a lot of hard work rather than signing names and hoping the figurative goulash is edible.

disagree. gms only say that sort of thing when their own expectations are pretty low and they're trying to manage fans' expectations.  it's one thing for jerry sullivan -- or you or i -- to say the bills are in rebuilding mode, but it's entirely different if the public face (and head cheerleader) for the team says it. donohoe never said it, even in  his first year in buffalo. indeed, if memory serves, he said before the season that the bills should compete for the playoffs.

721950[/snapback]

Yeah, and the fact that he is doing things differently than Donahoe is cause for concern? :w00t:

disagree. gms only say that sort of thing when their own expectations are pretty low and they're trying to manage fans' expectations.  it's one thing for jerry sullivan -- or you or i -- to say the bills are in rebuilding mode, but it's entirely different if the public face (and head cheerleader) for the team says it. donohoe never said it, even in  his first year in buffalo. indeed, if memory serves, he said before the season that the bills should compete for the playoffs.

721950[/snapback]

who cares that donanoe never said it? All that trickster did was put a fresh coat of paint on a rotten termite infested house every offseason, so it looked all pretty to the fand and the media. Then when everyone got a look inside, there was no guts.

Marv has stripped the house down of that rotten, freshly painted wood, and it building from the foundation up. Of course its going to take time. but in this new NFL, a team can go from "re-building" to "super bowl" in 2-3 years.

721950[/snapback]

I hear what you're saying... the difference to me though is that in 2000, the year before TD came, the Bills finished 8-8. Even though TD trimmed a lot of veteran talent, I had much higher hopes and expectations in July 2001 for the team than I do today for this year's team... I think TD really believed the playoffs were a possibility. After last year & this off-season, I don't see any way to spin this team into being playoff-caliber.

721950[/snapback]

Ans these words are a stark contrast between the intial ramblings of GW which almost immediately put me in a mode of questioning his approach and judgment. I think the team which actually did go 3-13 in 2001 was in far worse shape than this one.

We had unloaded a solid core of players like Big Ted who played a far more vital role on that winning team than someone like a Sam Adams did on a losing team. We had RJ at QB who was clearly on his way out the door rather at least having 3 remote and more remote possibilities to be the QB we want.

In the face of that GW announced we were going for the playoffs.

I prefer the mantra which Ted Nolan and the Sabres used with their rebuilding efforts which dubbed the guys the hardest working team in hockey.

While the current Marv mantra does not have the concise sellability of the Sabrea approach, acknowledging in response to a question that we are rebuilding and emphasizing simplicity, hard work, reps and character is a pretty reasonable approach to the situation he inherited from TD.

Marv has stripped the house down of that rotten, freshly painted wood, and it building from the foundation up. Of course its going to take time. but in this new NFL, a team can go from "re-building" to "super bowl" in 2-3 years.

I would agree, but wouldn't the foundation of a house be its offensive line? I mean, I like our Centers and Guards, but I'm not wild about our tackles.

After last year & this off-season, I don't see any way to spin this team into being playoff-caliber.

721960[/snapback]

That's a real shame. I don't see the point in being a fan if I refuse to be at least somewhat optimistic. I can certainly see how if several pieces fall into place, the Bills will be competitive every week. That makes them playoff caliber.

Addressing the point of this topic -- don't you all see that Marv is once again exhibiting his communication skills? The guy is smarter than most of us put together. Since when is the term "rebuilding" the equivalent of "can't win?" Marv admits the obvious -- new GM, coaches, loss of several vets -- but stresses substance over style and expresses confidence in the team's direction. Do you think Marv believes the Bills "can't" win this year?

Honestly, I don't know why a good number of you even follow sports. If I spent all my time criticizing, whining, and moaning about how bad things are, I'd be miserable. This stuff is supposed to be fun and a diversion from ho-hum everyday life. But whatever.

I would agree, but wouldn't the foundation of a house be its offensive line? I mean, I like our Centers and Guards, but I'm not wild about our tackles.

721969[/snapback]

What i meant was that marv didnt just go after glamour and flash players. he brought in solid players who are going to give it their all every single play. Players that WANT to play, and players that are part of a team, not a bunch of "me's"

I can certainly see how if several pieces fall into place, the Bills will be competitive every week.  That makes them playoff caliber.

721972[/snapback]

That's not apples-to-apples. I can see the team being more competive, but as of July 12, 2006, I can't see them winning 9-10 games this year.

That's not apples-to-apples. I can see the team being more competive, but as of July 12, 2006, I can't see them winning 9-10 games this year.

721978[/snapback]

Am I missing something here? If you're competitive every week, then you have a chance to win every game. To me, that makes it pretty easy to see a team winning 9-10 games if they get at least their share of good breaks.

I guess it's all about perspective.

That's a real shame.  I don't see the point in being a fan if I refuse to be at least somewhat optimistic.  I can certainly see how if several pieces fall into place, the Bills will be competitive every week.  That makes them playoff caliber.

Addressing the point of this topic -- don't you all see that Marv is once again exhibiting his communication skills?  The guy is smarter than most of us put together.  Since when is the term "rebuilding" the equivalent of "can't win?"  Marv admits the obvious -- new GM, coaches, loss of several vets -- but stresses substance over style and expresses confidence in the team's direction.  Do you think Marv believes the Bills "can't" win this year?

Honestly, I don't know why a good number of you even follow sports.  If I spent all my time criticizing, whining, and moaning about how bad things are, I'd be miserable.  This stuff is supposed to be fun and a diversion from ho-hum everyday life.  But whatever.

721972[/snapback]

Good post, Well stated.

721950[/snapback]

Marv's not your typical GM.