RIP Aaron Spelling and Harriet

Corp000085

This might be a stupid question, but how do you get the age from DNA?

713542[/snapback]

Oh geez, now you've got me thinking back to freshman year biology... It's a distant memory, so someone correct me if i'm wrong, but here we go...

The ends of each strand of DNA [insert vocabulary word here] are used to start and stop DNA replication. With each replication, you add a piece of DNA as a byproduct [again, someone hook me up with the correct terminology]. Therefore, you can look at the ends of the dna strands to calculate the age of the organism.

Oh geez, now you've got me thinking back to freshman year biology...  It's a distant memory, so someone correct me if i'm wrong, but here we go...

The ends of each strand of DNA [insert vocabulary word here] are used to start and stop DNA replication.  With each replication, you add a piece of DNA as a byproduct [again, someone hook me up with the correct terminology].  Therefore, you can look at the ends of the dna strands to calculate the age of the organism.

713544[/snapback]

the <insert word here> you are looking for is a telomere. Each replication some of the telomere is lost. The shorter the telomere, the older the DNA. Yes i am a dork.

Telomeres are short repeated DNA sequences (maybe 10-20 bases in length) at the ends of chromosomes. The way the machinery in the cell copies the DNA, several repets are lost everytime the cell divides. The enzyme is not 100% effiient, so some is lost. This sort of acts like the aglet (cap) at the end of a shoelace to stop it from fraying. In general, long lived (slow growing ) animals have longer telomeres than short living animals. Flies that live a day or two have very short or no telomeres. Mice have longer ones and humnas have even longer ones. In some cancers the telomerase (enzyme that repairs the telomere) is very active and the cell does not die after the normal # of divisions. most cells in your body only divide about 50 times or so in your lifetime.

You cannot tell age from this. Tortises and fish add rings to thier sales and shells like a tree. They probably figured its age from the rings.

That ends your molecular biology lesson for today! 0:)

The third is Patsy Ramsey (mother of JonBenet). 0:)

Cancer sucks.

713626[/snapback]

and the fourth is the son of the old guy that anna nicole smith married...

blunt force trauma caused by dropping of gigantic mammory glands on face.

and the fourth is the son of the old guy that anna nicole smith married...

blunt force trauma caused by dropping of gigantic mammory glands on face.

713697[/snapback]

Sweet......that means we get two more. This is a good day.

i may catch schidt for this but i think 1/2 of the alibi behind jonbenet went with patsy, i think she and her husband are involved in her death big time

The third is Patsy Ramsey (mother of JonBenet). 0:)

Cancer sucks.

713626[/snapback]

Scared me, too. First Harriet I thought of was Cablelady.

As far as Patsy Ramsey is concerned, neither her DNA nor John Ramsey's was found near their daughter's body. DNA was found, but there has not been a match.

However, I think Patsy Ramsey may have known something she has now taken to her grave.

Mike

Am I really reading a RIP thread for Aaron Spelling...creator of crappy womens tv?  :blush:

Yah, yeah...Starsky and Hutch and Charlies Angels.....doesn't make up for the crap though.

713601[/snapback]

Come on....you know you watched Melrose Place.....

:lol: