Comparing the Bills to the Patriots

I also think it's important to add that we are comparing our beloved Bills to a team that has won 3 out of the last 5 Super Bowls. Additionally, the thing that makes the Pats so good is their team chemistry and unselfishness. With all of his solid but unflashy moves, Marv is building a similar team. Well, just have to see how it all plays out. Talent equals nothing as evidence by our 2003 6-10 that looked as good on paper as any team in the league.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, Include the coach (as stated).

If you do it by unit:

QBs Bills<Pats

Rbs Bills=Pats

Wrs Bills=Pats

TE's Bills<Pats

OLine Bills<Pats

DLine Bills<Pats

Lb's Bills>Pats

Cb's Bills>Pats

S's Bills=Pats

ST Bills>Pats

:P

712135[/snapback]

QBs Bills<<<<<<<Pats

Rbs Bills=Pats

Wrs Bills>Pats

TE's Bills<<Pats

OLine Bills<<<Pats

DLine Bills<<<Pats

Lb's Bills w/ healthy TKO > Pats

Lb's Bills w/o healthy TKO < Pats

Cb's Bills>>Pats

S's Bills=Pats w/o healthy Harrison.

S's Bills<< Pats w/ healthy Harrison.

ST Bills>>Pats

:)

I wouldn't say he's 10x better, but until i see what Jauron can do with the Bills, I will say it is atleast Belichick>Jauron

712020[/snapback]

He's atleast 3 times better. That being the number of Superbowls he's won with the Patriots. 5 times better if you throw in the couple of rings he picked up with Parcells and the Giants. How many rings or better yet, playoff wins does a Jauron coached team have? I do believe the answer is 0.

QB- Losman < Brady

RB- McGahee > Dillon

WR- Evans/ Price = Branch/ Brown

TE- Royal < Graham

LT- Gandy < Light

LG- Reyes > Mankins

C- Fowler < Hochstein

RG- Villareal < Neal

RT- Peters > Gorin

LE- Denney < Warren

DT- Wilfork < Triplett

RE- Schobel = Seymour

LOLB- Crowell > Brown

MLB- Fletcher = Bruschi

ROLB- Spikes > Colvin

CB- Clements > Samuel

CB- McGee > Hobbs

FS- Vincent < Wilson

SS- Whitner < Harrison

According to me the Bills have 7 players that are better than a Patriot player at that same position.  The Patriots have 9 players that are better than a Patriot player at that same position. Both the teams have 3 players equal to eachother at the same position. Maybe I am a little biased, but I think that the 2006 Bills have a team that could defeat the Patsies!

711974[/snapback]

My changes are mostly with the OL and DL and I think the Pats are better almost to the man:

LG- Reyes < Mankins (this guy is a future Pro Bowler)

RT- Peters < Gorin (Peters has more upside but not there yet)

LE- Denney < Warren

DT- Wilfork > Triplett (Wolfork can dominate)

RE- Schobel < Seymour (Seymour is an impact player)

ROLB- Spikes > Colvin (maybe - depends on injury recovery)

The Patriots worse than they were last year and the year before that.  I believe we could beat them 1 out of the 2 games this year.  Our defense I think out defense better than theirs right now.

712151[/snapback]

We haven't even seen our defense yet. We will have 2 new starting tackles, at least 1 new starting safety, and our best player is coming off of the hardest injury to recover from....and a whole new system to learn.

(Not to mention our D sucked last year)

if our D gets in gear quickly we can beat the pats at home this year.

our secondary and LBs should match up well with the WRs for the pats and a bit of speed at the line will give us a better pass rush than we've had for a while.

if our new OC can figure out how to get something out of our O we have a solid shot of beating the pats, i dunno about week one tho

Wow, BB won a grand total of one more game than DJ.  Additonally, Jauron was coach of the year (with stud QBs Shane Matthews & Jim Miller) & finished second his last year with a 7-9 record.  In fact, if Mo Lewis didn't almost kill Bledsoe, how many Super Bowls would the Pats have won?  Yes, BB will go down as one of the greatest coaches as he well should.  But let's give Jauron a shot.  People love ripping the DJ hiring but Marv saw a guy that deserved another shot.  And if JP steps up, perhaps we can talk about what a great coach DJ is.  And yes, I'm a total homer and have my blinders on. :P

712141[/snapback]

Don't interpret my post as ripping the DJ hire because I'm of the mindset that at least he has experience, and he seems to have put together a decent cast. Assuming the numbers you posted represent each coach's first years as HC, then your point is taken.

But to be fair, Bellicheck managed to keep a taped up team competing, and I'll be curious to see if our players react the same way that Belly's players reacted to him.

LG- Reyes > Mankins

DT- Wilfork < Triplett

RE- Schobel = Seymour

MLB- Fletcher = Bruschi

:P:):lol:

And you got a few positions wrong. Is LOLB Brown supposed to be Chad Brown? if so, I believe he's been cut. You left out Vrabel, one of the Pats' finest defensive players, and surely better than any LB on the Bills but Spikes.

Light is the LT, and RT will be a competition between Kaczur, Gorin, Britt, and O'Callaghan. Also, Jackson or Caldwell, not Brown, is likely to start opposite Branch.

In any event, quite a silly list, and a ludicrously simplistic method of comparing talent levels. As always, the games will come down to coaching and on-field execution, not homeristic lists comparing player talent level.

:P  :)  :lol:

And you got a few positions wrong.  Is LOLB Brown supposed to be Chad Brown?  if so, I believe he's been cut.  You left out Vrabel, one of the Pats' finest defensive players, and surely better than any LB on the Bills but Spikes.

Light is the LT, and RT will be a competition between Kaczur, Gorin, Britt, and O'Callaghan.  Also, Jackson or Caldwell, not Brown, is likely to start opposite Branch.

In any event, quite a silly list, and a ludicrously simplistic method of comparing talent levels.  As always, the games will come down to coaching and on-field execution, not homeristic lists comparing player talent level.

712220[/snapback]

Hollywood, has there been any scuttlebutt there about how the Pats are planning to replace McGinest?

Hollywood, has there been any scuttlebutt there about how the Pats are planning to replace McGinest?

In the 3-4, the talk is that Vrabel and Colvin - both terrific passrushers - will man the outside (with the typical DE/OLB elephant types - Banta-Cain, Mincey, etc. - rotating in), while Bruschi and a bulkier (put on 8 some odd pounds of muscle in the offseason) Monty Beisel in the middle. If Beisel fails, the Pats seem pretty high on second-year LB Ryan Claridge; and by all accounts, UDFA MLB Freddie Roach has impressed.

With the Pats' DL depth, though, they'll likely play a lot of 4-3 as well. Beisel comes of the field and is replaced by Jarvis Green or newly-acquired Johnathan Sullivan. If the Pats can make this work as a base formation, I think it's their best chance to get their most talented players on the field.

Of course, all of this is contingent on the Pats staying reasonably healthy, something they've been completely unable to do for three straight years. So who knows? :P

In the 3-4, the talk is that Vrabel and Colvin - both terrific passrushers - will man the outside (with the typical DE/OLB elephant types - Banta-Cain, Mincey, etc. - rotating in), while Bruschi and a bulkier (put on 8 some odd pounds of muscle in the offseason) Monty Beisel in the middle.  If Beisel fails, the Pats seem pretty high on second-year LB Ryan Claridge; and by all accounts, UDFA MLB Freddie Roach has impressed.

With the Pats' DL depth, though, they'll likely play a lot of 4-3 as well.  Beisel comes of the field and is replaced by Jarvis Green or newly-acquired Johnathan Sullivan.  If the Pats can make this work, I think it's their best chance to get their most talented players on the field.

712246[/snapback]

Has Burschi been at any of the mini camps? It has to be tough to find time when he is curing diseases and tryinging to stop global warming.

In the 3-4, the talk is that Vrabel and Colvin - both terrific passrushers - will man the outside (with the typical DE/OLB elephant types - Banta-Cain, Mincey, etc. - rotating in), while Bruschi and a bulkier (put on 8 some odd pounds of muscle in the offseason) Monty Beisel in the middle.  If Beisel fails, the Pats seem pretty high on second-year LB Ryan Claridge; and by all accounts, UDFA MLB Freddie Roach has impressed.

With the Pats' DL depth, though, they'll likely play a lot of 4-3 as well.  Beisel comes of the field and is replaced by Jarvis Green or newly-acquired Johnathan Sullivan.  If the Pats can make this work, I think it's their best chance to get their most talented players on the field.

712246[/snapback]

Thanks.

Has Burschi been at any of the mini camps?

Yes.

It has to be tough to find time when he is curing diseases...

As far as I'm aware, Bruschi has cured no diseases.

...and tryinging to stop global warming.

Global warming (the anthropogenic version, anyway) seems to me to be largely a myth.

Has Burschi been at any of the mini camps? It has to be tough to find time when he is curing diseases and tryinging to stop global warming.

712247[/snapback]

Burschi? How dare you misspell the name of the Lord and Savior!

QB- Losman < Brady

RB- McGahee > Dillon

WR- Evans/ Price = Branch/ Brown

TE- Royal < Graham

LT- Gandy < Light

LG- Reyes > Mankins

C- Fowler < Hochstein

RG- Villareal < Neal

RT- Peters > Gorin

LE- Denney < Warren

DT- Wilfork < Triplett

RE- Schobel = Seymour

LOLB- Crowell > Brown

MLB- Fletcher = Bruschi

ROLB- Spikes > Colvin

CB- Clements > Samuel

CB- McGee > Hobbs

FS- Vincent < Wilson

SS- Whitner < Harrison

According to me the Bills have 7 players that are better than a Patriot player at that same position.  The Patriots have 9 players that are better than a Patriot player at that same position. Both the teams have 3 players equal to eachother at the same position. Maybe I am a little biased, but I think that the 2006 Bills have a team that could defeat the Patsies!

711974[/snapback]

You only have 10 players listed on defense. I don't agree on Seymour, I'd trade Schobel for him in a heartbeat. Crowel might not even start let alone be any better than whoever you compare him to on the other side. Also, Clements had an awful year last year, I am not sure if he is any good. McGee is a great return man but an average CB. There is a reason why our defense was so bad last year. Crowel, Vincent, McGee, Clements and Schobel were all members of that awful defense. They weren't the worst guys on that defense but they are not free of blame for their contributions to the among the worst defenses in the entire league last year. The Patsies weren't much better but they were better.