Yet another SS Plan Proposal

KRC

My ultimate fear is that SS benefits will be based on how much you have in personal retirement accounts. Those with nothing: full benefits. Those with plenty: nothing. It's the American way right? Punish the people who have worked hard and planned and reward the slackers.

My ultimate fear is that SS benefits will be based on how much you have in personal retirement accounts.  Those with nothing: full benefits.  Those with plenty: nothing.  It's the American way right?  Punish the people who have worked hard and planned and reward the slackers.

711286[/snapback]

But successful people don't get that way because of planning and hard work. They're successful because they take advantage of innocent, everyday people. So it's only fair that robber-barons like you and me should be punished for exploiting people like meazza and stevestojan...

And that's why Congresscritters get guaranteed pensions and cost-of-living raises...because they protect Americans from exploitation.

So it's only fair that robber-barons like you and me should be punished for exploiting people like meazza and stevestojan...

711313[/snapback]

Karl Marx would be proud.

So it's only fair that robber-barons like you and me should be punished for exploiting people like meazza and stevestojan...

711313[/snapback]

I'm not included?! :P

Tom, I think you're beginning to loooooooooooooove me... B-)

:w00t:

But successful people don't get that way because of planning and hard work.  They're successful because they take advantage of innocent, everyday people.  So it's only fair that robber-barons like you and me should be punished for exploiting people like meazza and stevestojan...

And that's why Congresscritters get guaranteed pensions and cost-of-living raises...because they protect Americans from exploitation.

711313[/snapback]

I take advantage of the system, because I learned from the best.

You talking about Lenny from the Simpsons?  He is a great mind but doesn't get the credit he deserves because everyone is focused on Karl

711997[/snapback]

All because of affirmative action :P

• 3 weeks later...

Something needs to be done about social security. Of the ideas the authors presented, I feel increasing the retirement age is the best. People are living longer than ever before, so it makes sense they should retire later. The worst idea is the tax rate increase: taxes are too high already.

I see alot of people against this proposal, but I see no reasons why.

Lets start with the facts

a) Social Security will go bankrupt in the next 20 years.

b) Workers under the age of 40 are unlikely to see ANY benefit from the current plan, yet are paying in 6.2% of their salary into social security.

Something needs to be done. Personal accounts HAVE to be part of any social security reform. Money YOU put in needs to be there for YOU when YOU retire. Right now, money in the social security system has a NEGATIVE rate of return. How money in your account is invested is another matter entirely. Only allow it to be invested in a money market account for all I care, we NEED individual accounts.

Now, the problem is this. If we start putting money into our newly created private accounts, it takes away the money available to fully fund the current system. This poses a problem. This article makes it sound like they will take many corses of action to solve this shortfall. I dont agree with all the proposals for this, but I think its a good start and a good debate to have.

Once we decide to have personal accounts, the rest is water under the bridge.

People have fallen for the typical scare tactic often used in politics. Privatization=bad. People will blow their money investing in Enron. Its simply not true. If done properly, the riskiest investment one can make would be to invest in a total market index fund (S&P 500, wilshire 5000 or equivalent). You pay in every 2 weeks and dollar cost average. This is NOT risky folks.

If you make 40k a year, and you pay 6% into a private account, thats 200/mo. And if you could get JUST 3% real rate of return on that money (a bank CD would do), you would have over 185k in the bank over a 40 year career. If you could then get 5% per year interest during retirement, and didnt touch the principle, thats $9,250 per year in retirement income. Nearly 1/4 of your salary from social security. Again, thats IF YOU DID NOT TOUCH THE PRINCIPLE. This is pure logic (and math) folks. I cant imagine why anyone would be against this.

Up to a $7500 tax increase for the middle age, middle class earners.  Great idea, that group certainly isn't paying enough taxes.

711203[/snapback]

From the retirement savings of middle class earners, directly into paying for the retirements of other people. :w00t:

Something needs to be done about social security.  Of the ideas the authors presented, I feel increasing the retirement age is the best.  People are living longer than ever before, so it makes sense they should retire later.  The worst idea is the tax rate increase: taxes are too high already.

721628[/snapback]

How about raising the retirement age to "whenever you save enough to quit working". Get rid of SS completely but do not give in when the people in society that were simply too lazy to work beg for help from the hard working members of society. I work in a 401(k) dept and see people take out their puny 401(k) balances all the time when changing jobs..."hey it's free money" Everyone knows that the Government doesn't let you starve no matter how unwilling you are to work or save. We need to focus our welfare efforts on those who truly need it and have no other means to support themselves. I think we all know someone who is too "dissabled" to work but bowls, plays softball, etc. every weekend. How many people wait to look for their next job until their unemployment runs out. Have you ever been behind someone at the food store who buys food with food stamps or WIC and tobacco and booze with their own money? The working man is a sucker.

Something needs to be done.  Personal accounts HAVE to be part of any social security reform. 

721644[/snapback]

I agree, but you need to get around the typical scare tactics being used associated with private accounts: you could lose your money. Of course, if you keep it in SS, you will lose your money, but that is never mentioned. Congress does not want to give up SS, becuase they use it as a source of revenue for their spending.

The KRC Plan: have both systems. On your W-2, there will be a checkbox to say whether you want the deduction from your paycheck to be sent in to the government for SS or whether you want it sent to a similar system to 401k. It is a good compromise. The people who want private accounts can have their private accounts. People who want to rely on SS can keep SS. You are going to create a deficit in this system, but you will create a deficit regarldess of any solution you provide. To help with this, you can increase the age to collect SS to keep it in line with the original scheme. I am against cutting benefits. To make up the rest of the deficit, you cut federal spending.

Under this scheme, I see a gradual phasing out of SS. The younger generation will put their money into private accounts. As the older people start to pass away, there will be less and less people relying on SS. The program will phase itself out.

I agree, but you need to get around the typical scare tactics being used associated with private accounts: you could lose your money. Of course, if you keep it in SS, you will lose your money, but that is never mentioned. Congress does not want to give up SS, becuase they use it as a source of revenue for their spending.

The KRC Plan: have both systems. On your W-2, there will be a checkbox to say whether you want the deduction from your paycheck to be sent in to the government for SS or whether you want it sent to a similar system to 401k. It is a good compromise. The people who want private accounts can have their private accounts. People who want to rely on SS can keep SS. You are going to create a deficit in this system, but you will create a deficit regarldess of any solution you provide. To help with this, you can increase the age to collect SS to keep it in line with the original scheme. I am against cutting benefits. To make up the rest of the deficit, you cut federal spending.

Under this scheme, I see a gradual phasing out of SS. The younger generation will put their money into private accounts. As the older people start to pass away, there will be less and less people relying on SS. The program will phase itself out.

721786[/snapback]

Effing brilliant. :w00t:

721786[/snapback]

Sure you don't want to run in '08?

721786[/snapback]

You make a reallllly big assumption here: that people aren't stupid.

You make a reallllly big assumption here:  that people aren't stupid.

722268[/snapback]

We've been down this road before.

The main reason I'm against totally voluntary contributions is that there are more stupid people than not. Therefore, when they choose private accounts but will inevitably not earn as much as they thought they should earn, they'll simply vote in folks into Congress who will "restore" their benefits. (See the UK)

The main reason I'm against totally voluntary contributions is that there are more stupid people than not.  Therefore, when they choose private accounts but will inevitably not earn as much as they thought they should earn, they'll simply vote in folks into Congress who will "restore" their benefits.  (See the UK)

722277[/snapback]

That depends on how much freedom you give people to invest in those private accounts. If you let them choose individual stocks, then sure, a lot will put all their savings into the next Enron. But if their choices are "small cap index fund" "large cap index fund" "investment grade bond index fund" and the like, there's only so much pain people will suffer.

That depends on how much freedom you give people to invest in those private accounts.  If you let them choose individual stocks, then sure, a lot will put all their savings into the next Enron.  But if their choices are "small cap index fund" "large cap index fund" "investment grade bond index fund" and the like, there's only so much pain people will suffer.

722289[/snapback]

Now that is really funny.

My ultimate fear is that SS benefits will be based on how much you have in personal retirement accounts.  Those with nothing: full benefits.  Those with plenty: nothing.  It's the American way right?  Punish the people who have worked hard and planned and reward the slackers.

711286[/snapback]

You can see examples of people like this everywhere.

I know quite a few people with very strong incomes for 20+ years running (maybe top 8-10% each and every year) that have zippo for net worth. Boats, cars, pools, too big a house all on credit and voila, no savings. Others make almost identical incomes and forego some/all of the lavish lifestyle and end up pretty well off. Why should the two groups have any difference in retirement benefit eligibility?

The main reason I'm against totally voluntary contributions is that there are more stupid people than not.  Therefore, when they choose private accounts but will inevitably not earn as much as they thought they should earn, they'll simply vote in folks into Congress who will "restore" their benefits.  (See the UK)

722277[/snapback]

They have an option to change back to SS at any time. They could even mix and match. One year to private accounts. Another year, SS. It is all in the little checkbox on the W-2.

They have an option to change back to SS at any time. They could even mix and match.  One year to private accounts. Another year, SS. It is all in the little checkbox on the W-2.

722363[/snapback]

Of course they could, and that would be the logical thing to do. I just have this hunch that there may be a few folks wading into the muck after a 3-year stock losing cycle making a push to "equalize" everyone's benefits. Forget the hunch, look at what Spitzer is doing to HR Block for daring to get people hooked on personal savings.

Therefore, when they choose private accounts but will inevitably not earn as much as they thought they should earn, they'll simply vote in folks into Congress who will "restore" their benefits.  (See the UK)

722277[/snapback]

Maybe I am misunderstanding, U.K. had private retirement accounts and because of whining they switched it back to gov't controll? Reason I ask, is an englishman just stated that the uk gov't has ss and healthcare since wwII.