Mark Cuban, the luckiest human being alive

He sold a dot.com for $5.7 BILLION to Yahoo!

Cuban cornholes Yahoo

I was researching internet radio royalties and came across that article about Mark Cuban. Considering his team, the Dallas Mavericks, are about to go 2-up on the Miami Heat, I was just contemplating how this guy literally **** gold!

In the 90's, during the dot.com craze, he had a website called Broadcast.com. It was were you could hear and see any radio or tv station online. Great idea, right? Of course this was all during the wild west days before internet streaming royalties. (I should also point out that in the 90's there was no such thing as high-speed internet, so everything came down a piss-poor 56K dial-up. You can imagine what that was like!)

Anyway, in 1999 Yahoo felt like they had too much money, and decided to give Mark Cuban $5.7 BILLION for his crappy little website. I'm sure Mark had to wait almost a nanosecond to accept their offer.

No sooner did Yahoo buy Broadcast.com, the whole internet royalty thing exploded, nearly killing online broadcasting I might add. Needless to say, Broadcast.com was rendered worthless. In fact, if you try to go to Broadcast.com now, all it does is redirect you to Yahoo. $5.7 BILLLION for that!!!!

Mark Cuban has since devoted his life to finding out how much fun he could have with $5.7 BILLION dollars, including buying an NBA franchise to play with.

Mark Cuban is the luckiest mofo in the world. He didn't just win the lottery, he won the biggest Powerball jackpot 20 times over!! And he did it by selling nothing but a domain name, and an idea that turned to crap.

All hail Mark Cuban!!

PTR

Cuban cornholes Yahoo

I was researching internet radio royalties and came across that article about Mark Cuban.  Considering his team, the Dallas Mavericks, are about to go 2-up on the Miami Heat, I was just contemplating how this guy literally **** gold!

In the 90's, during the dot.com craze, he had a website called Broadcast.com.  It was were you could hear and see any radio or tv station online.  Great idea, right? Of course this was all during the wild west days before internet streaming royalties.  (I should also point out that in the 90's there was no such thing as high-speed internet, so everything came down a piss-poor 56K dial-up.  You can imagine what that was like!)

Anyway, in 1999 Yahoo felt like they had too much money, and decided to give Mark Cuban $5.7 BILLION for his crappy little website.  I'm sure Mark had to wait almost a nanosecond to accept their offer.

No sooner did Yahoo buy Broadcast.com, the whole internet royalty thing exploded, nearly killing online broadcasting I might add.  Needless to say, Broadcast.com was rendered worthless.  In fact, if you try to go to Broadcast.com now, all it does is redirect you to Yahoo.  $5.7 BILLLION for that!!!!

Mark Cuban has since devoted his life to finding out how much fun he could have with $5.7 BILLION dollars, including buying an NBA franchise to play with.

Mark Cuban is the luckiest mofo in the world.  He didn't just win the lottery, he won the biggest Powerball jackpot 20 times over!!  And he did it by selling nothing but a domain name, and an idea that turned to crap.

All hail Mark Cuban!!

PTR

706843[/snapback]

You know, I keep reading that, and still can't believe I'm seeing a "B" in front of the "illion".

well....i don't about the luckiest. it isn't like he just went online and licenced the website: broadcast.com and turn around and sold the rights for a few billion.

i don't know for sure, but isn't he the one that developed the technology that allows "online streaming" and that is what was sold?

well....i don't about the luckiest.  it isn't like he just went online and licenced the website:  broadcast.com and turn around and sold the rights for a few billion.

i don't know for sure, but isn't he the one that developed the technology that allows "online streaming" and that is what was sold?

706922[/snapback]

OTR, i do not remeber 100% coreectly, but I think your going down the right path. But yes, Yahoo way overpaid, but remeber the fight then was eyeballs and content, P&L meant nothing, only POTENTIAL profits, and he hgad a ton of eyeballs going to his site.

Now this is the funny part and no chit(pardon the pun). He is the largest investor in company that has desinged a new toilet that incorporates bidet like features, with a heating element and less water needed. Thinks he his going to make another Billion on it as they have a patent for the technology and design.

So, there may be money to made in dealing with chit after all.

Cuban cornholes Yahoo

I was researching internet radio royalties and came across that article about Mark Cuban.  Considering his team, the Dallas Mavericks, are about to go 2-up on the Miami Heat, I was just contemplating how this guy literally **** gold!

In the 90's, during the dot.com craze, he had a website called Broadcast.com.  It was were you could hear and see any radio or tv station online.  Great idea, right? Of course this was all during the wild west days before internet streaming royalties.  (I should also point out that in the 90's there was no such thing as high-speed internet, so everything came down a piss-poor 56K dial-up.  You can imagine what that was like!)

Anyway, in 1999 Yahoo felt like they had too much money, and decided to give Mark Cuban $5.7 BILLION for his crappy little website.  I'm sure Mark had to wait almost a nanosecond to accept their offer.

No sooner did Yahoo buy Broadcast.com, the whole internet royalty thing exploded, nearly killing online broadcasting I might add.  Needless to say, Broadcast.com was rendered worthless.  In fact, if you try to go to Broadcast.com now, all it does is redirect you to Yahoo.  $5.7 BILLLION for that!!!!

Mark Cuban is the luckiest mofo in the world.  He didn't just win the lottery, he won the biggest Powerball jackpot 20 times over!!  And he did it by selling nothing but a domain name, and an idea that turned to crap.

All hail Mark Cuban!!

PTR

706843[/snapback]

broadcast.com might be a defunct website at this point but the technology sold to yahoo they continue to use and develop. When you watch hockey games live on yahoo, thank Mark Cuban. He developed the technology. Cuban took a couple of giant gambles to get where he is. Is he lucky? Absolutely. Did he bust his ass to the bone to get there? Hell yeah.

Mark Cuban is a very interesting success story who achieved it with hard work and balls. Before Broadcast.com he was a millionare in college running a computer company. Read his whole background- the dude was destined to be a success

Yeah, he got lucky. :):lol:

As an aside, he one of the only media people who is completely against DRM. He actually supported Grokster financially in the Grokster vs MGM case. He's a very interesting character on many levels.

Promo - You are smoking crack, and you have absolutely no clue. I don't know where to start poking holes in your theory.

Cuban is a very smart guy who made A LOT of money in the computer business before he made A TON of money with broadcast.com

I should also point out that in the 90's there was no such thing as high-speed internet, so everything came down a piss-poor 56K dial-up.

That's interesting, cause I had DSL in my apartment in 1998.

In fact, if you try to go to Broadcast.com now, all it does is redirect you to Yahoo.

That means nothing, and it happens all the time. They rolled up the assets into Yahoo itself. Have a look at Yahoo sports and all of the streaming they do - I'm sure none of that has any relation to the original broadcast.com, right? :D

Mark Cuban is the luckiest mofo in the world. He didn't just win the lottery, he won the biggest Powerball jackpot 20 times over!! And he did it by selling nothing but a domain name, and an idea that turned to crap.

And by Lucky you mean starting a company when he was 22, selling it when he was 32 for $2 million profit, and then starting up broadcast.com, growing it to 300 + employees, taking it public and selling it to Yahoo?

sounds like luck to me :D:w00t::lol: