What will it take to make the playoffs?

I against my better judgement am going to say that I think we have a chance at going 9-7 this year.

Do you think that gets us anything other than another opportunity to watch the teams in the playoffs or does that let us squeak in?

There's no way in hell we'll go 9-7 my friend. I wouldn't get your hopes up, unless you don't mind being let down. There's no playoffs for the Bills this year...No fuggin' way. :o

However...I don't see how we could do worse than we did last year...

my prediction (I know it's early) is 6-10

There's no way in hell we'll go 9-7 my friend. I wouldn't get your hopes up, unless you don't mind being let down. There's no playoffs for the Bills this year...No fuggin' way.  :o

699071[/snapback]

Did you know that optimists live longer?

699086[/snapback]

thats because they live in a dreamworld...I on the other hand live in the real world

this team has no shot at making the playoffs

thats because they live in a dreamworld...I on the other hand live in the real world

this team has no shot at making the playoffs

699094[/snapback]

It's not like there is a brick wall in between the Bills and the playoffs...

It's not likely to happen but not impossible (ie brick wall..)

NO shot?, rather a slim chance but that is better than no shot!

you may die early for nothing! Worry and toil!!! :o

There's no way in hell we'll go 9-7 my friend. I wouldn't get your hopes up, unless you don't mind being let down. There's no playoffs for the Bills this year...No fuggin' way.  :o

699071[/snapback]

We're talking professional sports here, people. Anything can happen. I bet there isn't one person, and I'm including Lindy Ruff and Darcy Regier, that thought the Sabres would be in the Eastern Conference Finals right now.

We've had several Bills' teams in recent years with lofty expectations that strongly disappointed. Perhaps we're due for the opposite to happen. In today's NFL there have been many instances of quick turn-arounds. Never say never!

699086[/snapback]

Real optimists do, but most of the so-called that reside here wallow in insufferable misery all season when the team they expected such great things from turns out to be a boring, overmatched, heartless bunch of junk. Then, when the scapegoats are culled from the herd using the blindfold/dart method, all is well for 5-6 months.

It gives a man courage to know what he is up against and I don't think it's healthy to not understand what you are getting into if you are heavily investing your emotions into something, as so many here do with the Bills.

If the Bills are good, I expect them to be good. If they are bad, and they play badly I can get past the losing easier and enjoy what I hope is the development of players that will hopefully become a good team in the future. To me, that is a much healthier approach than expecting a bunch of turds to be a playoff team every year then not being able to get out of bed on Mondays in the fall. :o

I against my better judgement am going to say that I think we have a chance at going 9-7 this year.

Do you think that gets us anything other than another opportunity to watch the teams in the playoffs or does that let us squeak in?

698986[/snapback]

I think 9-7 is possible. Four of the 11 losses in 2005 were by 6 pts or less so it could've easily been 9-7.

Looking at the schedule, both games vs the Jets are winnable.

The Miami rivalry doesn't matter what records were. A win in Buffalo is very possible. One win vs New England is a possibility.

Other AFC games at home vs Tennessee and at Houston are very winnable.

The Ravens were only 6-10 last season and didn't improve a lot so that's a winnable game.

The Chargers could slip with Rivers at QB and that game is in Buffalo in December.

Looking at the NFC games, Detroit and Green Bay will be very beatable. Minnesota was lucky to be 9-7 as they scored about 40 pts less than they gave up. That is an early home game for Buffalo so it's winnable.

That's 11 winnable games. Winning 9 of them is possible.

Ok ok, so maybe we've got a snowball's chance in hell to make the playoffs...:o I was optimistic last year and I was just let down once again...this year i'm going into it with a far lower expectancy with the hope that i'll be pleasantly suprised.

And Frez... who said anything about Willis?

I think 9-7 is possible.  Four of the 11 losses in 2005 were by 6 pts or less so it could've easily been 9-7.

699138[/snapback]

We can only hope that the magic that kept those spunky Bills within a touchdown in those FOUR losses out of ELEVEN isn't lost without Mularkey, his staff and the half dozen starters gone. :o

Seriously, being reasonably close in ONLY 4 of your 11 losses sucks. That's not a good thing, it just says that when you lose, 2/3 of the time you get STROKED.

698986[/snapback]

This is what it will take:

1. Losman needs to develop and be the starter

2. A great year from McGahee

3. The OL to be greatly improved

4. The defense to bounce back from a horrid 2005 -- Big years for Takeo, Shoebel, Tripplett and Clements.

5. The same strong special teams play we have enjoyed for the past few season

6. Six wins in our division

7. Win some close games for a change!!!!!

8. Some fortunate plays and calls in our favor.

9. The element of surprise

10. Winning attitude and character

Other than that, not much :o

I think 6-10 or 7-9 is more likely.

1.  Losman needs to develop and be the starter

2.  A great year from McGahee

3.  The OL to be greatly improved

4.  The defense to bounce back from a horrid 2005 -- Big years for Takeo, Shoebel, Tripplett and Clements.

5.  The same strong special teams play we have enjoyed for the past few season

6.  Six wins in our division

7.  Win some close games for a change!!!!!

8.  Some fortunate plays and calls in our favor. 

9.  The element of surprise

10.  Winning attitude and character 

Other than that,  not much  :o

699146[/snapback]

The way this team is set up, I think #10 is #1 and the key is everyone doing their job and equal amounts of production from every angle. It's fashionable to compare them to the Sabres right now, and IMO, they need to get everyone making plays in the same way because if there is a glaring weakness will be easy for teams to take away what little the Bills have in terms of playmakers.

I need to clear something up here, I am not an optimist. I am a cynical sarcastic bastard! :P

However I am really starting to warm up to Jauron. I think we are actually going to have a well coached, disciplined team for a change.

Unfortunately whenever I hear his name I immediately start playing that song.

Dick Jauron Jauron Jauron Jauron

Now then, Bob one thru seven are a given, nine and ten are likely.

But what the hell are you thinking about with number 8? :doh:

Edit: I had to say I am really starting to warm up to Jauron because well, saying I am really starting too warm up to Dick is gay. I am not gay and do not warm up to Dick.

Just need to be clear on that.

:o

4.  The defense to bounce back from a horrid 2005 -- Big years for Takeo, Shoebel, Tripplett and Clements.

Other than that,  not much  :)

699146[/snapback]

Other than that,  not much  :o

699146[/snapback]

Losman isnt even going to be the starter this year...they signed Nall to be the starter, its his job to lose

Real optimists do, but most of the so-called that reside here wallow in insufferable misery all season when the team they expected such great things from turns out to be a boring, overmatched, heartless bunch of junk.  Then, when the scapegoats are culled from the herd using the blindfold/dart method, all is well for 5-6 months. 

It gives a man courage to know what he is up against and I don't think it's healthy to not understand what you are getting into if you are heavily investing your emotions into something, as so many here do with the Bills.

If the Bills are good, I expect them to be good.  If they are bad, and they play badly I can get past the losing easier and enjoy what I hope is the development of players that will hopefully become a good team in the future.  To me, that is a much healthier approach than expecting a bunch of turds to be a playoff team every year then not being able to get out of bed on Mondays in the fall. :o

699136[/snapback]

Right you are my friend.

What I look forward to the most this season is hanging out with the "crowd" on 10/22 at RWS, and having the guys over to my house on Sundays to watch the games on DTV. :)

As far as the season, I hope that enough good things happen that ticket sales do not plummet because of the ineptitude of the Bills draft/management. The roster on this team is so bad that it honestly frightens the hell out of me.

I cannot think of any scenario where the Bills will have a strong OL. It COULD happen, but as much as I would like to, I just can't envision it. I WANT JP to be a great qb. I would settle for good to be perfectly honest. Possible? Sure, but I have seen no evidence of it taking place. I can't comment on Nall whereas I have never seen him play.

I have zero clue as to what to expect from the coaching staff either. How did the Lions wind up with Martz and Henderson as coordinators? Do ours even approcah this level?

In any event, I WILL be able to sleep well after games because while my hopes are high, my expectations are low. Who knows? I might even get permission from my wife to go to an extra game this season! :P:doh: