In this thread, you say what you hate about ESPN

Not sure if you are being sarcastic, but you do know that ESPN does not have NHL games? 

I guess what you are saying is that ESPN, conceptually, is fabulous...on that would agree.  It is just that, it seems, they have lost track of their concept, or have shifted their focus more on the E than the S, in ESPN!  That is where they score low.  Sports is sports, you are wathcing ESPN because you are a sports fan.  What is entertainment is more subjective.

698035[/snapback]

First, I meant at times they have had all four major sports. I know they now have three of them.

Second, I don't mean only conceptually, I mean it's fabulous overall. They do what's best for them and what their audience likes. And if it doesn't work they go on to something else. It's the most important channel on your cable package. And if anyone here could only have one channel on a desert island, I am betting that 90% of you say fukk ESPN and then order ESPN as your only station.

And again, I can't stand these announcers. I don't like any of them. But ESPN is still friggin' great. And just because you get older, or you don't like the way they handle some of their shows or decisions, shouldn't make you, IMO, lose sight of the fact that it remains fabulous despite its glaring and obnoxious shortcomings.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not hate all of it. I hate a lot of it. But really, what other choice is there for national highlights? What other choice is there for certain games?

697960[/snapback]

That is how brainwashing begins. We think there is no other way to watch highlights etc...plenty of other ways to catch highlights etc (FOX Sports, internet, local news stations etc)

I barely watch ESPN (I will watch ESPN classic occassionally or if my team is on there and have no other choice) and I am better off for it.

And if anyone here could only have one channel on a desert island, I am betting that 90% of you say fukk ESPN and then order ESPN as your only station.

698043[/snapback]

I dont know about you, but i'd probably go with the spice channel myself.

Things I hate about ESPN (part 1)

Kenny Mayne

Neil Everett (sp?)

Joe Thiesman

Host of Around the Horn (better than Max...still REALLY bad)

Around the Horn

Steven A

Salisbury

Mike Patrick

...to be continued...

Host of Around the Horn (better than Max...still REALLY bad)

698102[/snapback]

Funny thing is, Max Kellerman is probably 10000000000% more well-read and intelligent than the other idiots on that channel. He's always on Tucker Carlson's show and does a good job.

Funny thing is, Max Kellerman is probably 10000000000% more well-read and intelligent than the other idiots on that channel. He's always on Tucker Carlson's show and does a good job.

698118[/snapback]

I've never seen Tucker's show. I've seen Max do other things...boxing and something else. He's sucked HARD every time I've seen him.

I've never seen Tucker's show.  I've seen Max do other things...boxing and something else.  He's sucked HARD every time I've seen him.

698126[/snapback]

He comes on billed as "The Outsider" and tries to provide a counterpint to Carlsen. And I'm telling you, he's good. He should have done news rather than boxing.

He comes on billed as "The Outsider" and tries to provide a counterpint to Carlsen. And I'm telling you, he's good. He should have done news rather than boxing.

698132[/snapback]

The whole sports world and entire non-sports world since dawn of man and well into the far off future absolutely sucks but MAX FRIGGIN KELLERMAN is GOOD?!

The whole sports world and entire non-sports world since dawn of man and well into the far off future absolutely sucks but MAX FRIGGIN KELLERMAN is GOOD?!

698134[/snapback]

But, as Joe has made clear, in NEWS...not in Sports. :(

Why sure, I'd be happy to chime in.

Once the ESPN anchors became parodies of themselves, I couldn't watch it anymore. It's limited now to their prime time games and PrimeTime, because Berman and Jackson never, ever get old.

Of course, if I followed hockey, I'd be kinda pissed right now that the highlights are missing, but truthfully...get !@#$ing TIVO and watch the game all you want.

Unless you need someone telling you what you saw. In which case, you're !@#$ed.

Non-NFl season, I pretty much watch only ESPN News. Even then, not all that much. 

I used to listen to sports talk radio constantly, but no more.  I only want the highlights, I don't really care what most of these guys think anymore about most things. They rarely have any "fresh" takes on any issue, because, fact it, the issues really don't need all of the attention they get.  There is only so much you can say. 

For just highlights, even ESPN News is pretty sub-par.  After the first Carolina/Buffalo playoff game, they had two different hightlight packages they showed throughout the day. On neither of them, did they show the prettiest plays, just the first two goals scored, and the last two...there used to be a time when they showed you every goal. 

Same with football.  NFL Primetime used to give you a great capsule of every game played, all of the scores, and the unusual, funny miscues, etc etc...you really felt like you knew what happened in every game, even if you couldn't see them all.  Now, if they even show highlights from every game, it is the same abbreviated clip package they show on Sportcenter. 

Overall, I think ESPN has gotten too into cross promotion, and too "into itself" to be of much use to me anymore.  I used to chuckle at the Sportcenter commercials, but I think they are what did ESPN in, for the hardcore sports fan.  Sports have become secondary to the networks' personalities. 

I guess that is why I am one of the few (very few it seems) who has been delighted by OLN's coverage of the NHL playoffs.  Everybody complains about camera work, and analysts that don't give their favorite team its' due, but I just love that they really cover the games well...their highlight show ("On the Fly") is to the NHL, what Primetime used to be to the NFL.  Even when ESPN carried the NHL, they never covered it as well, IMO, as the much lower budgeted OLN.

698001[/snapback]

I believe that On The Fly is actually produced by the NHL network in Canada, but you are right. That show is what NHL2Night should have been.

OLN runs hockey ads pretty much all day long, and their evening programming is entirely hockey oriented ever since the playoffs started.

While they could definitely improve their camera work and some of their announcer choices have been questionable, overall, they have done a good job. This is their 1st season broadcasting the NHL and they only had about 2 months to get their act together as they didn't get a chance at the contract until after ESPN declined its option.

Even when ESPN SHOWED hockey, they rarely if ever led Sportscenter with a hockey story unless it was a McSorley or Bertuzzi type thing. They probably led a show with the Tocchet scandal this year, but you get the idea. They rarely if ever cross promoted hockey.

My only problems with the games switching to OLN is OLN isn't in enough households and too many non-hockey fans don't even know it exists. When hockey was on ESPN, I'm sure a few casual fans watched simply because they always watch ESPN, but I doubt there were many that did.

Bottom line, hockey on OLN is 1000% better than it was on ESPN.