Aikman any good?

Dibs

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am "pro-Bledsoe" only in that I thought then, and still think, dumping him in favor of Losman and Holcomb was stupid!  He is still, sad as it may be to some, the best QB the Bills have had since Jim Kelly retired, except possibly, Doug Flutie...I really think that people underestimate the continuity factor, particularly in football. 

I think if Bledsoe had been kept this past season, whether the Bills made the playoffs or not, the Bills would be in much better shape going into the 2006 season, with or without Bledsoe.  It was an unnecessary gamble, and a step backward for the franchise.  It was very obvious, very early on (and should have been obvious to the then brantrust at OBD) that JP was not ready to be an NFL starter, just yet.  There was not a tremendous savings in cutting Bledsoe when they did.  Instead, we traded him, in effect for Holcomb, who was no more effective, and in some regards, was not better. 

That being said, I don't think Bledsoe walks on water either.  As I said in my earlier post, it would take at least another SB appearence, and an above (NFL) average season or two, for Drew to be considered a HOF'er, in my opinion.  The fact that Warren Moon made it in during his first year of eligibilty, again IMO, kind of lowered the bar.

695478[/snapback]

You can't underestimate having a veteran QB under center. It instills confidence in the whole team. You aren't given respect; you have to earn it. And unfortunately, Losman hasn't yet. Plus, I really thought Bledsoe was starting to develop something special with Evans. But oh well, what's done is done. As for Aikman, I despised him. But he is without a doubt, a HOFer. Sure he had a great line, but you don't win 3 Super Bowls in 4 years with an average QB. QBs and offensive lines go hand in hand. If a line blocks well and keeps the QB upright, it is on the QB to make the throws. However once in a while if there is a blown assignment, a QB can help out the line by making a quick decision and getting rid of the ball and not taking a sack. Unfortunately, this didn't happen last year. Hopefully with improved QB play and a some of the additions in FA, our line will look a lot better this year. Let's hope anyways. <_<

Gotta be careful... those are fighting words!

695484[/snapback]

lol, no doubt.....God forbid someone call ME pro-Bledsoe <_<

However once in a while if there is a blown assignment, a QB can help out the line by making a quick decision and getting rid of the ball and not taking a sack. 

695485[/snapback]

That's one of the main reasons why Bledsoe isn't here anymore.

In an important game. Count on Bledsoe to choke.

695502[/snapback]

With Losman and Holcomb, count on no game being "important"! <_<

Disclaimer: I don't necessarily agree with this statement, it just seemed like a snappy comeback!

Exactly. Many of the HOF greats had teammates who are also in the HOF. Should we now start discrediting each one of them in our desperate effort to elevate Drew's candidacy?

Tom Brady = Super Bowl with 2001 Patriots roster

Tom Brady = HOF caliber

Drew Bledsoe = failure to make playoffs with nearly identical 2000 Patriots roster

Drew Bledsoe = Vinny Testaverde

695455[/snapback]

I think some on this thread missed a little line at the start...

If Bledsoe had the O-Line & the skills talent that Aikman had around him, he would be HOF material as well. (read neither should be HOFers)

It's not an attempt to elevate Bledsoe, it's simply a view on Aikman & how Bledsoe-like he looked in his last 2? years at the Boys without his supporting cast.

I think your Brady analysis is correct. Brady is a HOF caliber QB. His ability & awareness has shown he can elevate an average team to greatness.

Bledsoe = Testaverde. Give either of them protection & they can be outstanding.

My point was simply Bledsoe=Testaverde=Aikman.

I view that if Bledsoe(or Testaverde) were with Aikmans 'Boys, they would have had similar success to Aikman.

I view that if Bledsoe (or Testaverde) were with Aikmans 'Boys, they would have had similar success to Aikman.

695534[/snapback]

I view that if Bledsoe was with Aikmans 'Boys, the Bills would've had 2 rings...

it's all about the meltdown (see 1996 SB Pats vs. Packers).

Aikman was a very good quarterback, and excellent for that team. IMO, however, if you put Bledsoe in his prime on those Cowboys teams, against the Bills, the Cowboys would have still won both of those Super Bowls. I do think perhaps Aikman would have been better than Bledsoe on a lousy team.

Aikman was a very good quarterback, and excellent for that team. IMO, however, if you put Bledsoe in his prime on those Cowboys teams, against the Bills, the Cowboys would have still won both of those Super Bowls. I do think perhaps Aikman would have been better than Bledsoe on a lousy team.

695538[/snapback]

Well said - time & circumstances = (HOF) success (these days)

Art Monk - still waiting is a travesty

Jim Kelly as a 1st rounder (along with Troy) - questionable

695538[/snapback]

I don't know, the Cowboys were far more talented, but a big part of those teams was attitude and swagger. Now, Aikman may not have added much attitude or swagger, but Bledsoe would've taken a lot of it away... just because he's Drew. The whole complexion of those teams would've been radically different, and not for the better. I don't think they'd get past the Niners either year.... and I definitely think the Bills would've matched up better against SF. If they did make it, I still think Drew would've done enough to botch those games.

I don't know, the Cowboys were far more talented, but a big part of those teams was attitude and swagger. Now, Aikman may not have added much attitude or swagger, but Bledsoe would've taken a lot of it away... just because he's Drew. The whole complexion of those teams would've been radically different, and not for the better. I don't think they'd get past the Niners either year.... and I definitely think the Bills would've matched up better against SF. If they did make it, I still think Drew would've done enough to botch those games.

695543[/snapback]

They had a fantastic line, a solid running game, a terrific TE, big play receivers, solid coaching and a defense that gave the team good field position. Drew would have excelled in that scenario.

I think some on this thread missed a little line at the start...

It's not an attempt to elevate Bledsoe, it's simply a view on Aikman & how Bledsoe-like he looked in his last 2? years at the Boys without his supporting cast.

I think your Brady analysis is correct.  Brady is a HOF caliber QB.  His ability & awareness has shown he can elevate an average team to greatness.

Bledsoe = Testaverde.  Give either of them protection & they can be outstanding.

My point was simply Bledsoe=Testaverde=Aikman.

I view that if Bledsoe(or Testaverde) were with Aikmans 'Boys, they would have had similar success to Aikman.

695534[/snapback]

My bad, although my comment was more of a broader reference to the TBD threads in the recent past that have considered Drew's HOF status. Of course, I never made that clear.

They had a fantastic line, a solid running game, a terrific TE, big play receivers, solid coaching and a defense that gave the team good field position. Drew would have excelled in that scenario.

695552[/snapback]

that's pretty much the same situation bledsoe had in 96 and 97. yet he utterly choked against pitt in 97, with the pats losing 7-6. the pats final offensive play? bledsoe gets sacked and fumbles on a blindside rush by none other than mike vrabel. he also played poorly against jax in 96 in the afc championship game, and the pats were saved by willie clay's int of brunell in the end zone.

that's pretty much the same situation bledsoe had in 96 and 97. yet he utterly choked against pitt in 97, with the pats losing 7-6. the pats final offensive play? bledsoe gets sacked and fumbles on a blindside rush by none other than mike vrabel. he also played poorly against jax in 96 in the afc championship game, and the pats were saved by willie clay's int of brunell in the end zone.

695572[/snapback]

The Pats had nowhere near the team that the Cowboys had. They had a bunch of good players, the Cowboys were loaded everywhere. I am not equating Bledsoe to Aikman, and I believe that Aikman probably would have been better on those Pat teams than Drew was. I only surmised that Drew would have won two SB's if he were QB of the Cowboys.

It wouldn't matter if Drew had HoFers at every position.  When it mattered most, he'd still have spit the bit.

695616[/snapback]

A tad harsh Darin? <_<

Tampa had a great defense and won the big one with Dilfer. So did the Bears with McMahon. The Dallas defense was comparable to both of those teams, and their offense was simply off the charts.

When speaking of those Cowboy teams, people seldom mention Erik Williams and Leaon Lett, but these guys were in the top 5 of anybody who ever played their positions. This is of course before they went nuts. 0:)

We will of course never know if Drew could have won it all with those teams, but again, lesser talents were able to do so, and Drew looked OK last year on a very young team who had both OTs out, and played in the toughest, best coached division in football.

A tad harsh Darin?  <_<

Nope. Drew is the guy who'll tease you with good early performances and fall apart late. There's always an excuse

We will of course never know if Drew could have won it all with those teams, but again, lesser talents were able to do so, and Drew looked OK last year on a very young team who had both OTs out, and played in the toughest, best coached division in football.

695623[/snapback]

Sure he did - until his team needed him. As far as Leon Lett being one of the five best DTs in football history, I'd say not.

Every time our Buffalo BILLS played Aikman's Cowboys in games not ending in a Roman Numeral, we beat them - regardless of who was at QB or how many injuries we had.

As far as Leon Lett being one of the five best DTs in football history, I'd say not.

695626[/snapback]

When I offered this opinion, I was not talking about an entire career, otherwise a case could be made for Alan Page for example being one of the all-time great DTs. Page however was shoved around as players got bigger. I am only talking about a few seasons.

For a couple of years, Lett was unstoppsable. Kent Hull actually said this to a friend of mine. Nobody pushed him around, and he even brought some pass rush to the table.

Whether it was conditioning, drugs, attitude, injuries, etc. that prevented him from having a career like Joe Green (my selection for best DT ever), I don't know, but lack of talent surely wasn't the problem.