Aikman any good?

Dibs

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comparing Troy Aikman to Bledsoe isn't a good comparison at all. Bledsoe smokes Aikman in every statistical catagory statistically which btw is what I think  The HALL OF FAME should be about not team accomplishments, anyway the statistically the qb most compareable to Aikman is Mark Brunell

TOTAL  | 147 |  2576  4334  59.4 30037 6.9 174 102= Brunell

TOTAL  | 165 |  2898  4715  61.5 32942  7.0 165 141 = Aikman

Why is Aikman in the hall of fame?  Because he had an allstar offensive line a rb to carry the load and a tremendous defense.  Statistically he's not better then Mark Brunell let alone....

TOTAL  | 188 |  3749  6548  57.3 43447  6.6 244 198= Drew Bledsoe

Maybe I'm wrong but the hall of fame to me shouldnt be based on a team accomplishment.  Aikman was a good quaterback but he doesnt match up statistically to even Mark Brunell and if you asked the average fan if Brunell or Bledsoe should make the Hall they'd likely respond no way in hell.  Aikman was given praise because of what the cowboys did. It wasnt justly deserved imo.

695022[/snapback]

come on. he doesn't have their stats because the cowboys focused on rushing for their yards and tds instead of passing for them. that's easier to do, of course, when you're up 10-0 at the end of the first quarter, as the cowboys in their hayday often were.

Troy Aikman: 3 SB wins and 16-4 record as a playoff starter.  Winningest QB of ANY decade.  24 TDs, 17 interceptions as a playoff starter.  5 TDs, 1 interception in the SB. 64% competions in the post season.

Drew Bledsoe: Zero SB wins and a 8-38 record all time vs teams with 10 or more wins.  3 wins, 4 losses as a playoff starter.  5 TDs, 12 interceptions as a playoff starter. 51% completions in the post season.

Mark Brunell:  Zero SB wins and 5-6 career playoff record.  11 postseason TDs, 11 postseason interceptions.  51% completions in the playoffs.

Legends are made in the postseason and the best play their best when there's more on the line.  There aren't too many guys who've outplayed Troy Aikman when it matters most.  One of the most accurate QBs of all time.  Great players play on great teams - it's not mutually exclusive.

695039[/snapback]

great, great post.

1. Aikman = winner

2. Bledsoe = loser

Simple as that.

695021[/snapback]

That's exactly correct, IMO.

Troy Aikman: 3 SB wins and 16-4 record as a playoff starter.  Winningest QB of ANY decade.  24 TDs, 17 interceptions as a playoff starter.  5 TDs, 1 interception in the SB. 64% competions in the post season.

Drew Bledsoe: Zero SB wins and a 8-38 record all time vs teams with 10 or more wins.  3 wins, 4 losses as a playoff starter.  5 TDs, 12 interceptions as a playoff starter. 51% completions in the post season.

Mark Brunell:  Zero SB wins and 5-6 career playoff record.  11 postseason TDs, 11 postseason interceptions.  51% completions in the playoffs.

Legends are made in the postseason and the best play their best when there's more on the line.  There aren't too many guys who've outplayed Troy Aikman when it matters most.  One of the most accurate QBs of all time.  Great players play on great teams - it's not mutually exclusive.

695039[/snapback]

In the words of Emeril......"BAM!!"

This is absurd....anyone who makes the argument that a guy only had success because the quality of his teammates, totally discounts any talent that the player in question, contributed to the teams' success. 

695337[/snapback]

Exactly. Many of the HOF greats had teammates who are also in the HOF. Should we now start discrediting each one of them in our desperate effort to elevate Drew's candidacy?

Tom Brady = Super Bowl with 2001 Patriots roster

Tom Brady = HOF caliber

Drew Bledsoe = failure to make playoffs with nearly identical 2000 Patriots roster

Drew Bledsoe = Vinny Testaverde

End communication.

I must be losin' my mind...I thought Kelso's Helmet, Buftex, and Dave McBride were all pro-Bledsoe. You guys just feel differently now or do I have it wrong?

I must be losin' my mind...I thought Kelso's Helmet, Buftex, and Dave McBride were all pro-Bledsoe. You guys just feel differently now or do I have it wrong?

695456[/snapback]

I've been anti-Drew since the beginning of the 2004 season (I can't tell if you are being sarcastic, ajzepp <_< ).

I've been anti-Drew since the beginning of the 2004 season (I can't tell if you are being sarcastic, ajzepp  <_< ).

695459[/snapback]

I think you and I were just so far in the opposite direction with the TD issue that I just threw you in with the pro-Bledsoe crowd, too 0:)

If Bledsoe's OL in New England was sooo bad how come the one player they switched (Tom Brady) took the same OL to the Super Bowl. Always made me wonder about the DB would be so good if he had a good OL. He did have a good OL. He just was average with it!

Maybe what they could do is add a 2nd football HOF for those fans who read stats. They could leave the one in Canton for those fans who watch the games and put the new one in Cooperstown, NY. This year, Aikman can go to Canton and David Kreig can go to Cooperstown. In future years, both Vinny Testaverde and Drew Bledsoe would also be honored... in Cooperstown. It's a win-win situation, everyone would be happy... except me because I'd owe Fez money. <_<

Maybe what they could do is add a 2nd football HOF for those fans who read stats. They could leave the one in Canton for those fans who watch the games and put the new one in Cooperstown, NY. This year, Aikman can go to Canton and David Krieg can go to Cooperstown. In future years, both Vinny Testaverde and Drew Bledsoe would also be honored... in Cooperstown. It's a win-win situation, everyone would be happy... except me because I'd owe Fez money. <_<

695466[/snapback]

Would they actually need to make a statue of Bledsoe, or would that be redundant? 0:)

Would they actually need to make a statue of Bledsoe, or would that be redundant?  <_<

695469[/snapback]

0:)

It'd be better if they put him in a cage like a monkey & you could throw sh-- at him when the guard wasn't looking... I'd buy a ticket for that! :P

<_<

It'd be better if they put him in a cage like a monkey & you could throw sh-- at him when the guard wasn't looking... I'd buy a ticket for that! :P

695471[/snapback]

LOL! 0:)

695456[/snapback]

I am "pro-Bledsoe" only in that I thought then, and still think, dumping him in favor of Losman and Holcomb was stupid! He is still, sad as it may be to some, the best QB the Bills have had since Jim Kelly retired, except possibly, Doug Flutie...I really think that people underestimate the continuity factor, particularly in football.

I think if Bledsoe had been kept this past season, whether the Bills made the playoffs or not, the Bills would be in much better shape going into the 2006 season, with or without Bledsoe. It was an unnecessary gamble, and a step backward for the franchise. It was very obvious, very early on (and should have been obvious to the then brantrust at OBD) that JP was not ready to be an NFL starter, just yet. There was not a tremendous savings in cutting Bledsoe when they did. Instead, we traded him, in effect for Holcomb, who was no more effective, and in some regards, was not better.

That being said, I don't think Bledsoe walks on water either. As I said in my earlier post, it would take at least another SB appearence, and an above (NFL) average season or two, for Drew to be considered a HOF'er, in my opinion. The fact that Warren Moon made it in during his first year of eligibilty, again IMO, kind of lowered the bar.

695456[/snapback]

me? i've never been pro-bledsoe! i do, however, think that he's not the worst qb to ever live. i did support getting rid of him last year, but in retrospect think it was the wrong move. 20-20 hindsight is easy, though.

<_<  0:)  :P  :(

Though it would have been funnier had you not laughed at your own joke.

695480[/snapback]

lol...well usually I'm the only one who finds my comments funny, so I couldn't help it :huh: