Smerlas Bashing

Doesn't bother me at all, he was a great player with the Bills who showed up every week and played hard. Then again, I haven't lived in Buffalo for years, so I'm pretty immune to the inferiority complex that so many people from there seem to have everytime something not favorable is said.

Truth. There's a lot of naysaying on the part of the "fans", which boggles my mind because I seem to be (as my dad puts it) the only optomistic Bills fan to ever walk this earth. My dorm is plastered with Bills memorobilia and I have put up with getting bashed since I exited the womb (boy-named-sue kind of thing, my dad knew that I would need to beat some people up for the Bills in the future). What bothers me is the people who come here and constantly criticize the Bills, yet still consider themselves to be "Die-hard, unmovable" fans.

I'm not saying they aren't, they just have to stop complaining and see what happens.

I see quite often on this board negative comments about Smerlas.  What did he do to annoy so many people.  I'm not defending him, I'm just ignorant as far as what prompted the hatred.

691520[/snapback]

I live in NH so I can hear WEEI. Smerlas is on mostly during football season, or the draft, any football-related event etc. Smerlas never skips a chance to mock out and put down the Bills and the city of Buffalo. I've been listening to him for a couple of years now. It's gone way beyond expressing an opinon on how good/bad the Bills are. It's turned into downright hatred.

Smerlas apparently still carries a grudge against the Bills, and Levy in particular, that he was cut from the team. So along with becoming the biggest Patriot/Belichick ballwasher, he takes evey chance to talk about how much the Bills suck, Levy is an idiot, Wilson is a fool, and how much the city of Buffalo sucks in general, which his WEEI buddies have a good laugh about.

I want to stress this has NOTHING to do with having a negative opinion of the Bills as a team. Guys like Steve Tasker who may criticize the Bills as part of their national media duties are just doing their jobs. There is a difference between making a critical judgement of a team and being malicious.

It's a free country and a man is entitled to any opinion he wishes to express. I only ask why should the Bills continue to honor a player who has such deep contempt for his old team.

PTR

I live in NH so I can hear WEEI.  Smerlas is on mostly during football season, or the draft, any football-related event etc.  Smerlas never skips a chance to mock out and put down the Bills and the city of Buffalo.  I've been listening to him for a couple of years now. It's gone way beyond expressing an opinon on how good/bad the Bills are.  It's turned into downright hatred. 

Smerlas apparently still carries a grudge against the Bills, and Levy in particular, that he was cut from the team.  So along with becoming the biggest Patriot/Belichick ballwasher, he takes evey chance to talk about how much the Bills suck, Levy is an idiot, Wilson is a fool, and how much the city of Buffalo sucks in general, which his WEEI buddies have a good laugh about.

I want to stress this has NOTHING to do with having a negative opinion of the Bills as a team.  Guys like Steve Tasker who may criticize the Bills as part of their national media duties are just doing their jobs.  There is a difference between making a critical judgement of a team and being malicious.

It's a free country and a man is entitled to any opinion he wishes to express.  I only ask why should the Bills continue to honor a player who has such deep contempt for his old team.

PTR

691577[/snapback]

Well put PTR.

Doesn't bother me at all, he was a great player with the Bills who showed up every week and played hard. Then again, I haven't lived in Buffalo for years, so I'm pretty immune to the inferiority complex that so many people from there seem to have everytime something not favorable is said.

691527[/snapback]

OJ came and played hard for the Bills, Does that mean no one should have any type of hatred or dislike for him????

OJ came and played hard for the Bills, Does that mean no one should have any type of hatred or dislike for him????

691677[/snapback]

OJ never said what Smerlas said (in public, anyway) about the Bills or Buffalo.

PTR

I have harped on Smerlas so many times in the last 6 months or so, and am sick of explaining. PTR did it much better, and with less hate than I could probably muster. Just listen to his segments on WHAM out of Rochester (they stream), and you will know why he is held in such low regard by some.

It kills me to say it, because the Knox-era Bills are my favorite all time Bills teams, and Smerlas was a big part of their success. The guy is just a tool.

OJ never said what Smerlas said (in public, anyway) about the Bills or Buffalo.

PTR

691695[/snapback]

To the contrary, OJ was a big booster of Buffalo, and was always seen supporting the Bills in his national media role.

I have harped on Smerlas so many times in the last 6 months or so, and am sick of explaining.  PTR did it much better, and with less hate than I could probably muster.  Just listen to his segments on WHAM out of Rochester (they stream), and you will know why he is held in such low regard by some. 

It kills me to say it, because the Knox-era Bills are my favorite all time Bills teams, and Smerlas was a big part of their success.  The guy is just a tool.

691709[/snapback]

Have I mentoned recently how much I DESPISE Smerlas? :lol:

Promo basically said it all. I've heard him lambast the team, Ralph, the city, the fans (that REALLY pissed me off)...everything Buffalo SUCKS, according to Smerlas.

What made it worse, is he tried to play nice to get in good graces wih the team a few years later...as if he hadn't already said all of these horrible things.

I see quite often on this board negative comments about Smerlas.  What did he do to annoy so many people.  I'm not defending him, I'm just ignorant as far as what prompted the hatred.

691520[/snapback]

I saw him once at the "Canadian Ballet" during his playing days, and he was hogging all of the hot dancers. Never liked him since.

stir that pot!!!

:lol:

691674[/snapback]

No, you've got me all wrong. :P

Not from me. No BS, he's still my all-time favorite Bill.