anyone else think that Tom Hanks is a decent guy?

saw an interview with him this week and he really seems to be a decent non-typical hollywood type, i feel the same way about ron howard. You never hear stories of these 2 stepping out of line, getting in trouble etc...they do their craft and move along to the next project. with so many jackasses in hollywood I view these 2 as what is good about hollywood. hey its not a sabres thread!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

saw an interview with him this week and he really seems to be a decent non-typical hollywood type, i feel the same way about ron howard.  You never hear stories of these 2 stepping out of line, getting in trouble etc...they do their craft and move along to the next project.  with so many jackasses in hollywood I view these 2 as what is good about hollywood.  hey its not a sabres thread!

691460[/snapback]

yes

saw an interview with him this week and he really seems to be a decent non-typical hollywood type, i feel the same way about ron howard.  You never hear stories of these 2 stepping out of line, getting in trouble etc...they do their craft and move along to the next project.  with so many jackasses in hollywood I view these 2 as what is good about hollywood.  hey its not a sabres thread!

691460[/snapback]

they are a good example of people that are not running around begging for a headline or looking for the spotlight.

691460[/snapback]

Actually read a story a couple of years ago about how Tom helped out some stranded motorists. He was driving a Ram 1500 extended cab pick up at the time and apparently he isn't much on fancy foreign cars. I have always respected him for being a Dodge man.

Did anyone see Tom Hanks on Lettermen about a week ago? It was pretty bizarre....he went off on a Robin Williams like rant (as in wild, unfunny, and kind of looney) that went on for some time....still seems like a nice guy though. I just thought it was odd...Letterman seemed a little taken back by it too! Apparently the two of them are buddies...

he's also been married to the same woman forever, which is totally unhollywood

my friend who moved to LA to try and make it in acting ran into tom hanks by accident at a birthday party he was working (no, he claims he wasn't working as a clown) said tom hanks stopped to wish the kid he didn't know happy birthday and sign a bunch of birthdays

Newsflash. There is not a bigger percentage of !@#$s and not nice guys or women in Hollywood than there is in professional sports, the music business, politics, any form of entertainment, any big business, or anything anywhere where there is a lot of ego and money and ass-kissing involved.

Newsflash. There is not a bigger percentage of !@#$s and not nice guys or women in Hollywood than there is in professional sports, the music business, politics, any form of entertainment, any big business, or anything anywhere where there is a lot of ego and money and ass-kissing involved.

692017[/snapback]

Washington, DC, excepted of course, because those people are there to serve the country.

692017[/snapback]

Well sure, can't get higher than 100% :lol:

691460[/snapback]

Seems like a nice guy.

And I still couldn't care less about that Da Vinci movie.

Seems like a nice guy.

And I still couldn't care less about that Da Vinci movie.

692069[/snapback]

Unfortunately, for me, there are certain actors that reach a level of insanely lofty status, that far exceed their talents. At that point, I have no interest in seeing anything they are in. Hanks reached that for me, with "Forrest Gump", a movie I have never seen, and have no desire to ever see...Jim Carey, Robin Williams, Mel Gibson make my flesh crawl...I don't have as strong an aversion to Hanks, just can't imagine him being in anything I would ever pay money, or spend two hours seeing...the minute they get paid to narrate a documentary, they are dead to me.... :lol:

Tom Hanks is a great guy -- very genuine. He seems to be among the very, very few superstars who refuse to let all the fame and fortune go to his head. He donates more than 60% of his earnings. He lives in an average sized home, and he only owns three vehicles -- a pickup and two sedans. He puts a lot of time and energy into honoring veterans and helping the elderly. I've met him about a dozen times, and he always comes across as someone who is just doing what he loves and is very thankful for being able to do so.

One of my favorite things about him is that he tries not to become news and he doesn't blabber about political views.

Unfortunately, for me, there are certain actors that reach a level of insanely lofty status, that far exceed their talents.  At that point, I have no interest in seeing anything they are in.  Hanks reached that for me, with "Forrest Gump", a movie I have never seen, and have no desire to ever see...Jim Carey, Robin Williams, Mel Gibson make my flesh crawl...I don't have as strong an aversion to Hanks, just can't imagine him being in anything I would ever pay money, or spend two hours seeing...the minute they get paid to narrate a documentary, they are dead to me.... :lol:

692086[/snapback]

Road to Perdition was incredible. He still makes really good movies from time to time - but all this hype about the Da Vinci Code makes no sense to me. It looks like the most boring POS ever.

Road to Perdition was incredible.  He still makes really good movies from time to time - but all this hype about the Da Vinci Code makes no sense to me.  It looks like the most boring POS ever.

692134[/snapback]

I think Hanks said the movie was nonsense. The book was good - a nice thriller with the requisite twists and turns. The author, Brown, also wrote one about a madman Cardinal, which was a good read.

I think Hanks said the movie was nonsense.

692202[/snapback]

To who, you?

He said the media making a big hubbub about him playing a hit man gangster was nonsense. Everything I've read, he was very proud of the movie, and was particularly fond of the fact that all of the violence did not overpower the father-son themes explored within.

I doubt Hanks called a movie 'nonsense' that starred himself, Paul Newman, Daniel Craig, and directed by Oscar-winner Sam Mendes (2000 Best Director & Best Picture- American Beauty).