anyone else think that Tom Hanks is a decent guy?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To who, you?

He said the media making a big hubbub about him playing a hit man gangster was nonsense.  Everything I've read, he was very proud of the movie, and was particularly fond of the fact that all of the violence did not overpower the father-son themes explored within.

I doubt Hanks called a movie 'nonsense' that starred himself, Paul Newman, Daniel Craig, and directed by Oscar-winner Sam Mendes (2000 Best Director & Best Picture- American Beauty).

692222[/snapback]

I think he was talking about Da Vinci, not Perdition.

EDIT: BTW, American Beauty was terrible. That movie was made specifically to win awards and you know that because after it won, it was immediately forgotten afterwards.

To who, you?

He said the media making a big hubbub about him playing a hit man gangster was nonsense.  Everything I've read, he was very proud of the movie, and was particularly fond of the fact that all of the violence did not overpower the father-son themes explored within.

I doubt Hanks called a movie 'nonsense' that starred himself, Paul Newman, Daniel Craig, and directed by Oscar-winner Sam Mendes (2000 Best Director & Best Picture- American Beauty).

692222[/snapback]

I heard someone on the radio say that this morming, when I was driving my wife to the airport. My take was he was commenting on the content, the thrust of the book.

Did you think I made it up to ridicule Hanks, who I like, or the book, which I've already read and made comment upon? ;)

Road to Perdition was incredible.  He still makes really good movies from time to time - but all this hype about the Da Vinci Code makes no sense to me.  It looks like the most boring POS ever.

692134[/snapback]

Can't do the comic book flicks anymore...the summer that Tim Burton ruined"Planet of the Apes", and that terrible, and highly overrated first "Spider Man" movie came out, I swore off "summer movies" or "blockbusters", or whatever you want to call them. It seems that the acceptance of comic books in Hollywood has been responsible for a lot of really crappy Hollywood movies.

A buddy of mine, whose opinion I trust, and is a huge comic-book nerd, loved "Road to Perdition", but told me he knew I wouldn't like it. I stopped going to movies regularly about 4 or 5 years ago. Now, I see maybe 2 or 3 a year, in the theaters. I just got sick of going to see movies that left me feeling empty....

One of my favorite things about him is that he tries not to become news and he doesn't blabber about political views.

692118[/snapback]

He may not blabber, but if I recall, he was a very open John Kerry supporter...I believe he hosted a pretty high-profile DNC function. He has also lent his voice, and support, to a number of "lefty-liberal" causes. He just has chosen not to star in any movies that are controversial as not to ruin his middle America "pretty good guy" persona. "Da Vinci Code" may be his first step!

Washington, DC, excepted of course, because those people are there to serve the country.

692035[/snapback]

Never been here have you?

It's hard to believe that a bunch of civil servants and politicians can as a collective be as un-helpful and hateful as they are.

QUOTE(GG @ May 15 2006, 11:05 PM)

Washington, DC, excepted of course, because those people are there to serve the country.

Never been here have you? 

It's hard to believe that a bunch of civil servants and politicians can as a collective be as un-helpful and hateful as they are.

692790[/snapback]

Sarcasm alert not working properly this morning? Least I assume GG was speaking tongue in cheek...

Hanks reached that for me, with "Forrest Gump", a movie I have never seen, and have no desire to ever see...

692086[/snapback]

That's really too bad because it was a tremendous movie, and Hanks put on a terrific performance. It is unfortunate that quips from flicks get overdone by people who love that stuff because it can prematurely ruin a flick for someone who doesn't care for using the latest slang.

What I mean is people embrace stuff like "Life is like a box of chocolates" to the extent that other people will ignore the source of the quip. I don't feel bad for not watching The Simpsons just because the whole world wore "Dont' have a cow, man" t-shirts. But "Forrest Gump" is just one of those amazing flicks that takes you through the journey of one person's life, and they did it with what were pretty decent special effects at the time: the footage of Hanks with Nixon, etc., was great.

Plus, he had terrific relationships with Bubba, as well as Gary Sinese's Lt. Dan, all through the eyes of a guy who is able to enjoy life because he's just not as smart as some people, but is seemingly smart enough to know he's not missing much.

You should really give the movie a shot. A great, great flick.

He may not blabber, but if I recall,  he was a very open John Kerry supporter...I believe he hosted a pretty high-profile DNC function.  He has also lent his voice, and support, to a number of "lefty-liberal" causes.  He just has chosen not to star in any movies that are controversial as not to ruin his middle America "pretty good guy" persona.  "Da Vinci Code" may be his first step!

692758[/snapback]

DaVinci Code is only controversial, because some small minded people do not know the difference between the fiction and non-fiction section in the library. :blink:

He has been actor and producer of a lot of really good films, and her has survived the Hollywood gauntlet pretty well. I do not think he has chosen his movies to protect his personna.

Just my $0.02

DaVinci Code is only controversial, because some small minded people do not know the difference between the fiction and non-fiction section in the library.  :blink:

He has been actor and producer of a lot of really good films, and her has survived the Hollywood gauntlet pretty well. I do not think he has chosen his movies to protect his personna.

Just my $0.02

692836[/snapback]

I agree. It is scary to think folks might take this film as anything but fiction. From Rosemary's Baby to the Exorcist to the most recent Devil film, its clear the purpose is to entertain, not inform.

I agree.  It is scary to think folks might take this film as anything but fiction.  From Rosemary's Baby to the Exorcist to the most recent Devil film, its clear the purpose is to entertain, not inform.

692840[/snapback]

I think it is because Dan Brown had a lots of factual material written into it, from the Dead Sea Scrolls, burning of documents and heretics, the transition of western religion from paganism to Christianity, the Priory of Scion, to the method of selection of which Gospels would comprise the modern New Testament.

Because he did such a damned good job on historical background, some mistake his drama for fact.

This is almost tame compared to what goes on in the prequel, Angels and Demons, as far as the Vatican!

I think it is because Dan Brown had a lots of factual material written into it, from the Dead Sea Scrolls, burning of documents and heretics, the transition of western religion from paganism to Christianity, the Priory of Scion, to the method of selection of which Gospels would comprise the modern New Testament.

Because he did such a damned good job on historical background, some mistake his drama for fact.

This is almost tame compared to what goes on in the prequel, Angels and Demons, as far as the Vatican!

692979[/snapback]

First off, I read the book and found it entertaining. I think the first page of the book says something about how all historical information in the book is completely factual. From what I understand, that was actually a lie. He did indeed take a lot of historical information, but he changed a lot of facts to fit his story. Since the book "sounded" historically accurate, it is fooling a lot of people. I would describe it as pseudo-historically accurate in the same sense that a Michael Crichton book is pseudo-scientifically accurate. Anyway, I don't get what all the controversy is about either. What about the 8 million other movies that have questioned the beliefs of Christians?

692979[/snapback]

It turned out a lot of the "factual material" he wrote in turned out to be wrong anyway. So it's a made-up story loosely based on made-up facts. That's not necessarily a deal breaker except that the idiot author can't get his story straight on how accurate his book is. Though he does get more free press the more controversial it/he is.

Unfortunately, none of that changes how friggin' boring the whole premise is. A conspiracy theory involving the Catholic church? Wow, fasten your seatbelts. :blink:

Since we know this movie, like every other summer movie, is just a bunch of nonsense anyway, why not go for the summer movies where cool things actually happen? At least in MI3, we got to see Philip Seymour Hoffman implant little explosive devices in people's heads and then detonante them (resulting in a cool lazy eye effect that grossed out the girls in the crowd), and Tom Cruise shot down an airplane with a machine gun. And lots of other stuff exploded. And there was a helicopter chase. And a long action sequence in Shanghai.

Or you could watch Tom Hanks pretend to unlock some secret code about the Church that everyone already knows about thanks to all the stupid hype.

Can't do the comic book flicks anymore...the summer that Tim Burton ruined"Planet of the Apes", and that terrible, and highly overrated first "Spider Man" movie came out, I swore off "summer movies" or "blockbusters", or whatever you want to call them.  It seems that the acceptance of comic books in Hollywood has been responsible for a lot of really crappy Hollywood movies.

692754[/snapback]

I don't know why people liked that first Spider-Man so much. The Green Goblin looked like something out of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and the plot...uh...there wasn't one.

Batman Begins was awesome, though. Maybe the most satisfying experience I've had in a movie theatre in years.

I don't know why people liked that first Spider-Man so much.  The Green Goblin looked like something out of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and the plot...uh...there wasn't one.

Batman Begins was awesome, though.  Maybe the most satisfying experience I've had in a movie theatre in years.

693096[/snapback]

I confess, I like the X-Men movies! :blink:

693175[/snapback]

I agree, I think they've done a good job with them. However, I never read the comic books, so I wouldn't really know if they were butchering it.

693175[/snapback]

If you like the X-Men flicks (and I dig 'em), you'll probably really dig Mystery Men. One of the funniest satires I'd seen in years and I'm not sure if I enjoyed William H. Macy more as The Shoveler or Paul Ruben as The Spleen. Great, great stuff. :doh:

The Money Pit and Volunteers should keep anyone humble

693180[/snapback]

I think Volunteers is where he met his wife. John Candy was pretty funny in that flick when he got brainwashed.

If anything should humble him, it should be Bachelor Party.