Len P piles on the Donahoe clusterf-

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Must be Monkey See Monkey Do over there at ESPN. Wasn't LP the one who wrote an article talking about what a great player McCargo would be -- and that he had cemented himself as a first round pick in the days leading up to the draft?

684659[/snapback]

Yup. I read the same thing man. He said he was the most overlooked DT in the draft. These guys cant remember what stance they take on anything. He raved about NC State having 3 DL going in the first rounf. Put down the donut Len and get a clue.

[B]This note for those critical of the past Buffalo football operation: According to our count, 32 of the 42 players selected by former Bills general manager Tom Donahoe are still in the league. [/b]

I think Lenny was knuckles-deep into the bucket of his 7 piece Meal Deal Kentucky Fried Chicken (extra crispy) when he was typing and neglected to include the final line in his article:

On the other hand, Donahoe is not.

I was a believer in the plan, I was willing to follow the plan that Donahoe had for the team over most of his tenure. Over time, the plan didn't work, we spent time in our lives watching some games (and my 9 year old made his first visit to the stadium back when the Bills rolled the Rams, thereby locking him in as a Bills fan forever) we'll never get back, but no hard feelings. In retrospect, I think Bills fans everywhere can take a measure of pride that those 32 players are still in the league. It's a moral victory, made all the sweeter knowing that some of those guys probably even played for winning teams last year.

Hold on a sec-----32? We had a great running back that had that number, and I think he had some personal problems after he left the league. And, this year, we drafted KO Simpson. And, it seems that Marv Levy was 32 the last time we went to the playoffs...

Coincidence???

And, this year, we drafted KO Simpson.  And, it seems that Marv Levy was 32 the last time we went to the playoffs...

Coincidence???

684667[/snapback]

eh? not even 32+42 is enough for marv's age when we last went to the playoffs

Very skewed to the last 3 years when everyone should still be in the league or at least a high % in the cap era...

A pretty BS stat to base an argument of competency on...

684645[/snapback]

The theory now is that it takes 3 years to really judge a draft class. Which means we can now judge TDs first 3 drafts (2001-2003)

2001: Still with team:

1/21 CB Nate Clements, who wants out but is locked into a Franchise Tag

2/46 DE Aaron Schobel, probably Donahoe's best selection as GM

2001: No longer with team:

2/58 RB Travis Henry, Tennesse

3/76 DT Ron Edwards, Kansas City

3/95 OT Jonas Jennings, SF

4/110 LB Brandon Spoon, Out of League/Injuried

5/144 OL Marques Sullivan, Out of League

6/178 S Tony Driver, ?

6/195 TE Dan O'Leary, ?

6/196 CB Jimmy Williams, ?

7/214 WR Reggie Germany, Out of League

7/238 DT Tyrone Robertson, ?

2001 Results: 2 out of 12 still with team. Both players still with team are solid starters, however one may not be a Bill much longer

2002: Still with team:

2/36 WR Josh Reed, backup WR

2/61 DE Ryan Denney, rotational DL selected over WR Antwaan Randel'El :lol:

3/97 S Coy Wire, Soon to be cut :lol:

6/176 CB Kevin Thomas, backup DB

2002: No longer with Bills

1/4 T Mike Williams, Jacskonville

5/139 DT Justin Bannan, Baltimore

7/215 G Mike Pucillo, ?

7/249 WR Rodney Wright, ?

7/251 RB Jarrett Ferguson, ?

7/260 LB Dominique Stevenson, ?

2002 Results: 4/10 still with team. Those 4 aren't much more than backups and one player no longer with team is one of of the biggest draft busts in team history

2003: Still with team

1/23 RB Willis McGahee, starter

2/48 DE Chris Kelsay, rotational DE

3/94 LB Angelo Crowell, backup, ST, and possible future starter

4/111 CB Terrence McGee, all around stud

4/127 WR Sam Aiken, backup

6/187 DT Lauvale Sape, fodder

7/228 LB Mario Haggan, ST player

2003: No longer with team

5/151 G Ben Sobieski, rehabbing with Jonas in SF

2003 Results: 7/8 A better than average RB, an average CB with excellent return skills, a couple backups and ST players, and one potential future starter

So in 3 years TD managed to find 13 out of 30 players worth keeping. Of those 13, only 4 were starting caliber (Clements, Schobel, McGahee, and McGee)

Lenney is obvously taking a shot but other then that you really cant argue with what he said

Whitner was drafted too high and the players the Bills signed are average at best with most if not all of them backups

He forgot Robert Royal, Tutan Reyes and the A-Train. :lol:

684621[/snapback]

Hey, those must be good signings if Pastabelly thought he shouldn't ruin his argument by including them.

A real Pittsburgh mafia story, to be sure.

Is it me or does half of the ESPN NFL front page consist of articles that you have to join their Insider membership to read. One of the reasons I cant stand ESPN anymore, they think their opinions are so important that people will pay to read them.

A number which includes Coy Wire and Mike Pucillo, in case anyone is counting.

Brutal.

684636[/snapback]

Let the pile on begin on the spin control clusterf.

I may be able to forgive Pucillo, because really shouldn't expect much from a 7th rd pick, but since Lenny started, we'll finish:

Free pass on the Coy Wire pick when the team had huge holes after 3-13?

Free pass on trading up to absolutely positively have Ryan Denney?

The more I think about it, the more I get steamed.

So the signing of Tripplett is bad, but only positive words for a guy who thought that friggin Ron Edwards was going to be a competent replacement for Pat Williams?

Anyone know if that $20 mil signing bonus number is really one of the highest in the league - before Whitner and Clements?  Wow.  Where did that money go?

684703[/snapback]

TS, I don't have the figures but here are the free agents--remember this counts players we resigned as well..

Tripplett

Andre Davis

Royal

Bowen

Fowler

Reyes

Anthony Thomas

Gibson

Kiwaukee Thomas

Matt Morgan (OL-signed when Thomas and Gibson Signed)

James Bethea (DB-signed when Thomas and Gibson Signed)

Denney

Peerless Price

Josh Reed

Mike Shneck (LS-Pro Bowl)

Greg Jerman

so 16 guys...11 or 12 of whom will probably make the team

We bought quantity and depth not superstars....$20M for 16 guys is pretty frugal...

Why do people get so worked up by a sportswriter's opinion?

Happy Cinco de Mayo.

684628[/snapback]

I'm with ya bro. remeber these are the same knuckleheads who had San Diego chitting the bed and as the worst team in the league two years ago, had the Cardinals and the Jets as the "sexy" picks last year, had the Colts as unbeatable in Novemebr and just wondering how much they would win the SB by, had the Ravens as the calss of the AFC North, had the Bears buried in August, but dam, I'm nervous cause they say the Bills are gunna suck!!!!!!

Woo Hoo derby weekend, the Sabres in the second rd, and all the experts hate us. Dam, cant get much better than that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is Marv your grandaddy or something, gentlemen?

It's like if someone criticizes the Bills; draft, they're criticizing YOU.

684733[/snapback]

Funny hearing that from you.

For the umpteenth time, it's not the criticism, but the ball washing of Donoahoe that comes with it. Raiders & Lions were worse brown creek as Bills were, yet you don't hear peep how they passed on Leinert.

If you're going to slam the 2006 draft, please don't hold the guy who presided over the disaster in 2002 as the standard bearer.

Funny hearing that from you.

For the umpteenth time, it's not the criticism, but the ball washing of Donoahoe that comes with it.  Raiders & Lions were worse brown creek as Bills were, yet you don't hear peep how they passed on Leinert. 

If you're going to slam the 2006 draft, please don't hold the guy who presided over the disaster in 2002 as the standard bearer.

684748[/snapback]

Oh, I despised Donahoe and his mismanagement more than just about everyone here.

Only difference between me and most here is that I'm actually requiring RESULTS from marv's regime before I get all excited about it.