Star Wars DVD Done ... Half-Assed

Link

In response to overwhelming demand, Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release attractively priced individual two-disc releases of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Each release includes the 2004 digitally remastered version of the movie and, as bonus material, the theatrical edition of the film. That means you'll be able to enjoy Star Wars as it first appeared in 1977, Empire in 1980, and Jedi in 1983.

Wow, Stars Wars DVD's that aren't the lame "special editions."

This means we get to see the versions of the original movies that don't suck.

Link

Wow, Stars Wars DVD's that aren't the lame "special editions."

This means we get to see the versions of the original movies that don't suck.

683982[/snapback]

I wasn't around to see the originals, and never really watched Star Wars before 1995. What exactly were the differences between the originals and the new ones.

I wasn't around to see the originals, and never really watched Star Wars before 1995.  What exactly were the differences between the originals and the new ones.

684004[/snapback]

Very little. People just like to complain.

I wasn't around to see the originals, and never really watched Star Wars before 1995.  What exactly were the differences between the originals and the new ones.

684004[/snapback]

A few extra scenes were added. The scene with Han and Jabba was originally shot with a person playing Jabba and wasn't shown in the original version of the movie.

The computer graphics also weren't as intense, but were incredibly cool for their day. Stuff like when the X and Y wings are in formation, you don't see the pilots moving around inside the cockpits. You also don't have the halo effect when stuff explodes. Fewer computer generated creatures (or more exactly, none) in the backgrounds of scenes. Luke's hovercraft (or whatever it's called) "hovered" in the original by having someone manually smearing out the supports under it on the film.

Nothing real major.

684004[/snapback]

Everyone's ignoring the biggest change -- Han shoots first!

684011[/snapback]

ha

ya i heard about that. whatever i'd prefer if he shot first, i mean he is a mercenary. :blush:

If a new original version comes out i might get my hands on it, although this doesn't mean that Lucas is getting any of my money. The fact that i paid a portion of my 7$ an hour income to see Ep I and II was enough.

684011[/snapback]

I'm not. i thought the special edition totally butchered that scene. IMO, the original cantina confrontation was soooooooooo much better than that special edition crap.

ha

ya i heard about that.  whatever i'd prefer if he shot first, i mean he is a mercenary.  :blush: 

684042[/snapback]

That's why the change was made; because the idea that Han wasn't a completely pure and good soul didn't appeal to your generation. Fact is, Han Solo wasn't a just a mercenary, he was a criminal and a rogue who, by the end of the movie, has to choose between his greed and self-interest, and acting for a higher purpose. In changing that one scene, and having Greedo shoot first instead of Han, Lucas butchered that entire line of character and plot development - with Han shooting in "self defense" in the updated release, he looks less like someone deciding against someone struggling with his nature than he does someone who's frankly slightly insane for being so inconsistent in his behavior. Yes, it's a small change...but that one small change in the scene was a drastic change in the movie.

And the fact that Lucas couldn't see how changing that scene changed the whole movie just shows what a sh------- filmmaker he is.

• 3 weeks later...

I just read on HTF that this release will NOT be anamorphic...

that is not "done right" at all. :)

I shall hold onto my laserdiscs and wait & see if this will be released in HD.

NO ANAMORPHIC = NO SALE :lol:

696882[/snapback]

It sounds like he's doing a half-assed job just so he can re-release the original versions once DVD switches to Blu-Ray or HD-DVD in the next 10 years or so.

Making these movies anamorphic is not expensive or difficult. Not doing it is unreal.

696882[/snapback]

I did not really understand what you meant until I saw this:

Anamorphic explained for dummies like me (with pictures)

And the fact that Lucas couldn't see how changing that scene changed the whole movie just shows what a sh------- filmmaker he is.

684196[/snapback]

I heard a story where Lucas was visiting Scorsese on the set of "Gangs of New York". They were looking at the vast set for one of the outdoor scenes and Lucas commented, "You can do all of this on computers now."

:lol:

I heard a story where Lucas was visiting Scorsese on the set of "Gangs of New York".  They were looking at the vast set for one of the outdoor scenes and Lucas commented, "You can do all of this on computers now."

:lol:

697035[/snapback]

Yes, if you want it to look terrible.

684004[/snapback]

no stupid hula hoop when the Death Star blows

fewer Stormtroopers, Dewbacks, Ewoks, and Jawas

more of the campy classic 70's Sci-Fi look :lol:

Changed the thread title to reflect that Lucas is doing a half-assed job releasing the new DVDs.

My initial excitement over these DVDs was uncalled for. This is a quick cash grab; the illegal bootleg fan DVDs on eBay will still have higher quality.