Easterbrook on the Bills Draft

Rico

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

as i said above, he should stick with his day job.

681379[/snapback]

Sure. Our stellar record indicates that the man is dead wrong, and that we should continue our winning method of trading away picks, and taking small players as early as we can.

Maybe we are not taking skill players early enough, and should trade away more first day picks. :D:P;)

I love it. Classic denial. :P

The man is right.

Halfway Down

Buffalo: Since 1990, Buffalo has had 17 first-round draft picks; the team has used seven on defensive backs, versus five on linemen of all types. Buffalo seems addicted to drafting skinny guys: this may explain why the Bills were consistently blown off the ball on both sides of the line in 2005. Once again it was Skinny City on draft day as Buffalo went first for a safety, then used three of its first four selections on defensive backs. The Bills, having one of the league's worst offensive lines, ended 2005 with waiver-wire acquisitions starting at both offensive tackles -- yet signed no OT in the offseason and did not choose one in the draft until the fifth round. Eric Mangini, product of the New England success system, took over the Jets and at the top of the draft immediately went offensive line, offensive line. It's a winning formula. Endlessly drafting skinny guys who get clobbered because there is no one in the trenches is not a winning formula.

681312[/snapback]

I love Easterbrooke but that's an oversimplification of the reality. If Brick was available, he'd be a Bill. There was no lineman even close to being worth a #8 overall pick. And they DID use another 1st rounder on a big body, so I'm not sure he's hitting the nail on the head here.

681351[/snapback]

Like you, I suspect, I read Easterbrooke for the irony, not the analysis. The skinny guy thing is funny, but would be less so had he mentioned the no. 26 pick. I'll give him a pass for erring upon the side of humor.

Who nobody here knows anything about, methinks.

681393[/snapback]

And everybody here positively knows that the OLs that Bills didn't draft will become the next Ogden, Pace, Munoz & Mawae. How certain are the draft geniuses that Mangold won't be the next version of Jeff Faine?

I don't know how many times this needs to be said, but I'll say it again, if the 3rd best OT prospect in the draft lasts until the 3rd round, the prospects suck, and you're better using the draft picks where the draft is strong.

I don't know how many times this needs to be said, but I'll say it again, if the 3rd best OT prospect in the draft lasts until the 3rd round, the prospects suck, and you're better using the draft picks where the draft is strong.

681414[/snapback]

I think that the above applies less to RTs Gerry, no?

Yeah, we did go small and I question the tactics as well. But if these DB's pan out, and we get Clements to sign a five year deal, then our secondary will be good for the next 5 to 7 years. Youboty was being projected for the 1st round, just like his college teammate Whitner. These guys already know how one another plays so there's an element of chemistry already there. Add in Clements and you have 3 Ohio St. guys. They all know the same terminology from playing in the same systems in college so they will be able to communicate well amongst each other. Ko Simpson is a fast and athletic Free Safety. A little raw, but ALOT of potential and upside. Simpson has good hands and instincts. He also seems to tackle well even though he's only a shade over 200lbs. He's about the size of Will Demps, but hits harder and plays stronger. I just hope that McCargo and Williams turn out well for the D-Line. At worst, we could be looking at getting Brady Quinn with the 1st selection in next year's draft. :P

they must have seen something in them that they liked or they wouldn't have drafted them - there were other options. moreover, new draftees are almost never camp fodder - the team wants them to succeed. camp fodder are the guys who were drafted 2 or 3 years ago and haven't panned out and the annual army of street free agents. 

regardless, the bills drafted 2 DTs and 3 o-linemen out of 9 picks. i doubt that many teams had a higher ratio of linemen drafted than the bills.

681386[/snapback]

you forgot the most important idea, dave. remember the draft is only 2 rounds long, and if you dont draft OL in the first 2 rounds, then its the same as not drafting any. :P

Sure. Our stellar record indicates that the man is dead wrong, and that we should continue our winning method of trading away picks, and taking small players as early as we can.

Maybe we are not taking skill players early enough, and should trade away more first day picks.  :D  :P  ;)

681394[/snapback]

Easterbrook is not dead wrong at all.

However, he only tells part of the story as a big part of the Bills not drafting OL studs since 1990 is:

1. In the early part of the 90s they did not have to as a great OL led by Kent Hull had things firmly in place on the OL. You gotta reload if you want to keep a unit strong (even in the old days prior to the workers gaining more equal control with the team owners as reflected in the CBAs and there was far less player movement) but these Bills teams were drafting not to build or sustainably maintain the franchise, but to find the one or so missing pieces that would theoretically give them the one missing player to give them the SB win they fell just short of four times in a row.

2. The OL foul-up story of the early 2000s is much more defined by hiring an HC with no OL feel whatsoever and who made two straight massive OC hiring miscues the fired whatever his name was he first hired and then 'upgrading' to Kevin Killdrive. To make matters worse for the O and OL, GW hired his nor ready to OL coach buddy Vinky and then replaced him with the equally inexperienced Ruel. These non-OL idiots oversaw the selection of MW and the non-training of this man who may not have even been saved by good training.

One should expect a more complete and accurate picture of the situation from a sports journalist.

However, Easterbrook is clearly for entertainment purposes only when he writes and should not be taken seriously by anyone looking for good football analysis.

you forgot the most important idea, dave. remember the draft is only 2 rounds long, and if you dont draft OL in the first 2 rounds, then its the same as not drafting any. :P

681502[/snapback]

it's be a convincing argument you've got there if any of them were picked before round 5. We ALL know how sucessful picks from rounds 5,6, and 7 are, right?

it's a bit disingenuous, to say the least. Think ANY of those guys will be starters? In 06?

it's be a convincing argument you've got there if any of them were picked before round 5. We ALL know how sucessful picks from rounds 5,6, and 7 are, right?

it's a bit disingenuous, to say the least. Think ANY of those guys will be starters? In 06?

681532[/snapback]

Should we have taken an o-lineman in the first just so we could say we drafted an o-lineman high? Isn't there something to be said for considering whether the players on the board at that point were worthy of the pick?

Should we have taken an o-lineman in the first just so we could say we drafted an o-lineman high?  Isn't there something to be said for considering whether the players on the board at that point were worthy of the pick?

681539[/snapback]

Now THERE is a convincing argument....seriously.(no, I'm not being a smartass, really...) OK, so let's assume that none of the OL on the board were worth first rounders. Are you telling me that the likes of Mangold or Justice were not worthy of 2nd or third?

If that's the prevailing opinion, it's REALLY going to be interesting who does more for their team(s)...

Yeah, we did go small and I question the tactics as well. But if these DB's pan out, and we get Clements to sign a five year deal, then our secondary will be good for the next 5 to 7 years. Youboty was being projected for the 1st round, just like his college teammate Whitner. These guys already know how one another plays so there's an element of chemistry already there. Add in Clements and you have 3 Ohio St. guys. They all know the same terminology from playing in the same systems in college so they will be able to communicate well amongst each other. Ko Simpson is a fast and athletic Free Safety. A little raw, but ALOT of potential and upside. Simpson has good hands and instincts. He also seems to tackle well even though he's only a shade over 200lbs. He's about the size of Will Demps, but hits harder and plays stronger. I just hope that McCargo and Williams turn out well for the D-Line. At worst, we could be looking at getting Brady Quinn with the 1st selection in next year's draft.  :P

681497[/snapback]

Of course, why will the Bills' opponents be throwing the ball anyways??? It should be easy again to run the ball. And the Bills' offense won't do anything so the opponents will be ahead, running to use up the clock. But we'll have good DBs just in case they do decide to throw.

Maybe we are not taking skill players early enough, and should trade away more first day picks.  :D  :P  ;)

681394[/snapback]

if memory serves, easterbrook was the leader of the bills chearleading section in from the mid/late 90s onward and talked up wade/cottrell/marv every chance he could get. i love how he neglects to mention that the bills actually are under a different regime now, one that is headed by a guy he has man-love for.