Easterbrook on the Bills Draft

Rico

Halfway Down

Buffalo: Since 1990, Buffalo has had 17 first-round draft picks; the team has used seven on defensive backs, versus five on linemen of all types. Buffalo seems addicted to drafting skinny guys: this may explain why the Bills were consistently blown off the ball on both sides of the line in 2005. Once again it was Skinny City on draft day as Buffalo went first for a safety, then used three of its first four selections on defensive backs. The Bills, having one of the league's worst offensive lines, ended 2005 with waiver-wire acquisitions starting at both offensive tackles -- yet signed no OT in the offseason and did not choose one in the draft until the fifth round. Eric Mangini, product of the New England success system, took over the Jets and at the top of the draft immediately went offensive line, offensive line. It's a winning formula. Endlessly drafting skinny guys who get clobbered because there is no one in the trenches is not a winning formula.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Halfway Down

Buffalo: Since 1990, Buffalo has had 17 first-round draft picks; the team has used seven on defensive backs, versus five on linemen of all types. Buffalo seems addicted to drafting skinny guys: this may explain why the Bills were consistently blown off the ball on both sides of the line in 2005. Once again it was Skinny City on draft day as Buffalo went first for a safety, then used three of its first four selections on defensive backs. The Bills, having one of the league's worst offensive lines, ended 2005 with waiver-wire acquisitions starting at both offensive tackles -- yet signed no OT in the offseason and did not choose one in the draft until the fifth round. Eric Mangini, product of the New England success system, took over the Jets and at the top of the draft immediately went offensive line, offensive line. It's a winning formula. Endlessly drafting skinny guys who get clobbered because there is no one in the trenches is not a winning formula.

681312[/snapback]

I love Easterbrooke but that's an oversimplification of the reality. If Brick was available, he'd be a Bill. There was no lineman even close to being worth a #8 overall pick. And they DID use another 1st rounder on a big body, so I'm not sure he's hitting the nail on the head here.

The Bills did address defensive line needs, and I'm not sure there were all that many great offensive linemen available. I think they decided to fix the defensive side of the ball and are playing patchwork for this year with the offense. You only have so many picks and I appreciate the strategy. Me..I'd have gone all big linemen on both sides of the trenches, but I see the logic in what was done and I'll be supporting it.

How many offensive lineman did Eric Mangini draft in the 1st round when he was with the Pats?

681321[/snapback]

Remember now, Mangini is ALREADY a GREAT NFL coach...he is a Belichek disciple....let's keep things in proper perspective now please.

Halfway Down

681312[/snapback]

but ... but the bills drafted three linemen in the first 143 picks (one a first rounder) and 5 linemen overall (out of 9 picks)!

as i said above, he should stick with his day job.

but ... but the bills drafted three linemen in the first 143 picks (one a first rounder) and 5 linemen overall (out of 9 picks)!

as i said above, he should stick with his day job.

681379[/snapback]

That's a wee bit disingenuous. most of the linemen they drafted are camp fodder.

True. DaBrick wasn't there. Then, the Bills gave away a pick and chased small players. Is anything new?  :D

681370[/snapback]

Yes. At least these small players aren't afraid of snow... that we know of, anyway... :P

That's a wee bit disingenuous. most of the linemen they drafted are camp fodder.

681382[/snapback]

they must have seen something in them that they liked or they wouldn't have drafted them - there were other options. moreover, new draftees are almost never camp fodder - the team wants them to succeed. camp fodder are the guys who were drafted 2 or 3 years ago and haven't panned out and the annual army of street free agents.

regardless, the bills drafted 2 DTs and 3 o-linemen out of 9 picks. i doubt that many teams had a higher ratio of linemen drafted than the bills.