Bills sign UDFA Martin Nance WR

No what Im saying is that 70% of NFL fans now base their ENTIRE opinions on what the clowns in Bristol CT say about the draft 48 hours after it happens..."well if Sean Salisbury says it's good, then great, YES!!  We had a GREAT draft!!!"

Oh and I am not a newbie...registered under a new name becauce after all the crap Donte has received so far, I am rooting for him more then any draft pick in recent memory

679364[/snapback]

I'll say this for the 5046th time....I could care less what the ESPN jokers think. What I want is a dominating offensive line, and we've taken exactly ZERO steps toward getting that as a team.

Don't give me Reyes and Fowler.

They didn't make a play for Hutch OR Bentley. They didn't draft an OL on the first day. So, in my "meaningless" opinion, they've done nothing to show a serious inclination to fixing what has been a disasterous part of this franchise, a part which has kept the team out of the playoffs for 6 seasons now.

I'm sure some smartass is going to come along and say "quit whining". Well, hey, geniuses...tell me why YOU think this OL is going to be better. And don't give me "Well, Reyes isn't Anderson".

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Davis has a tough time making the final roster. Didn't we only sign him to a 1 year deal? Also, I have no idea about this stuff but if we sign a guy and he gets cut he surely doesn't make all the $ he was due to make does he? Like say Peerless were to get cut, is there some clause in the contract that voids it (except for the signing bonus) ?

I say our recievers for week 1 are:

Evans, Aiken, Parrish, Reed, Price, Nance

679366[/snapback]

there not going to get rid of davis that easy when they signed him to a contract

aiken is not a wr.......doesnt cut it

aiken is not a wr.......doesnt cut it

679443[/snapback]

As a WR, no he doesn't.

But he's the CAPTAIN of the Special Teams and a damn good one at that. Everytime I turned around he was making a nice tackle or downing balls on the one. You don't cut Sam Aiken.

Davis was signed to a 1-year deal for basically nothing. If we cut him, we lose basically nothing.

Andre' Davis = James Jett

I'll say this for the 5046th time....I could care less what the ESPN jokers think. What I want is a dominating offensive line, and we've taken exactly ZERO steps toward getting that as a team.

They didn't make a play for Hutch OR Bentley. They didn't draft an OL on the first day. So, in my "meaningless" opinion, they've done nothing to show a serious inclination to fixing what has been a disasterous part of this franchise, a part which has kept the team out of the playoffs for 6 seasons now.

I'm sure some smartass is going to come along and say "quit whining". Well, hey, geniuses...tell me why YOU think this OL is going to be better. And don't give me "Well, Reyes isn't Anderson".

679368[/snapback]

I think they genuinely believe that rookie O-Lineman are rarely ready to contribute- minus the occassional special player like Ferguson or maybe Davin Joseph- and they're not willing to break the bank on the splashy guard or center that command 10's of millions of dollars.

Fowler and Reyes are both upgrades over Teague and Bennie. Gandy seemed adequate at LT and, without the sieve that is Bennie Anderson next to him, he might be even slightly more than adequate. While adequate is not all you hope for, good LTs are not in abundance. Peters is solid. Villarial is old but now we have a bit more depth and experience behind him in Preston (and Bennie, who's a better fit on the right anyway).

Plus we have a new offensive system, which makes looking at last years production less reliable an indicator as to this year's status.

Basically we hope for the best. I for one am not willing to advocate spending 50 million on a guard or center. It's just foolish.

They didn't make a play for Hutch OR Bentley.

679368[/snapback]

Yeah because Hutch of Bentley really wanted to come here right? Bentley was a Brown before the FA period even started. Its his hometown.

Would you really throw the amount of money that the Vikings did to get Hutch. Yeah thats smart considering we have a ton of holes to fill.

You guys act like lineman are falling from the sky.

I like our line. Adding Fowler and Reyes is a step in the right direction. I also think that Gandy has some serious upside.

I still think he will beat out Parrish who's shown not a whole hell of a lot and is fragile beyond belief.

679350[/snapback]

Not a chance that happens. Parrish has great hands (likely the best on the team besides Evans), and he is our quickest/most agile WR. He actually progressed quite nicely last season after returning from injury. If some of you could simply get past your hangups with his height and your hate for the draft pick used to get him, you might see this.

This guy might be interesting. Football's Future had him as their #4 WR and a 1st day selection. :

Martin Nance WR 6’4 213 Miami(OH)

By: Robert Davis

NFL Combine Stats: 40-yard dash - 4.58

When people started to take notice of Ben Roethlisberger his junior year, people had no choice but to notice Big Ben’s top target, sophomore Martin Nance. He absolutely exploded onto the college football map that year with 90 catches for 1,498 yards and 11 touchdowns. As a junior, he was off to another fast start. In the first four games of the 2004 season, Nance had 25 catches for 337 yards, and a touchdown. On the first play of the 5th game that season however, Nance injured his knee and missed the rest of the season. He came back this season looking to re-establish himself. Nance did just that, finishing with 81 receptions, 1,107 yards, for 14 touchdowns.

Martin Nance is a flat out playmaker. At 6’5, with great athleticism, and jumping ability, he is nearly unstoppable in one on one situations. He’s not just big though, he has good straight-line speed. He can get deep, and make plays vertically. Some people questioned if his success in 2003 was due to Roethlisberger, but he showed early on in 2004, and has shown again this year that he is a talent.

Even though he is showing he is back from the knee injury in 2004, it is something teams will look into. Even though the MAC has gained some respect nationally, it still is not the most talented conference out there. With just over two years of experience on the field, he has not faced the most talented corners in college.

Nance fits the mold of the big, tall, athletic receiver teams have become enamored with lately. He has all the talent to develop in the NFL. Nance struggled at the combine, running a 4.58 40 and struggling to catch the ball in drills, and that hurt his stock. He should still hear his name called on the first day of the draft.

Bills | Team signs UDFA M. Nance

Sun, 30 Apr 2006 23:24:13 -0700

The Journal-News reports the Buffalo Bills have signed undrafted rookie free agent WR Martin Nance (Miami (Ohio)). "It's a done deal," Nance said Sunday night, April 30, from his home in St. Louis. "I'm headed to Buffalo on Thursday. That's when they'll have their minicamp."

679287[/snapback]

It's the MAC for god's sakes. And I went to Ball State, so I'm a MAC fan, but cmon. Depsite playing with Big Ben, Nance wasn't even the best WR in the MAC. Dante Ridgeway caught over 90 passes once, and caght 107 passes once for Ball State at the same time Nance was playing, despite BSU being one of the worst teams in the country in Division 1. Ridgeway was a big time playmaker, the best WR in the MAC two years running, hands down, and was actually drafted and cut by the Rams. He has since been picked up by the Jets and I think is in danger of not making the roster this season.

If Ridgeway couldn't do it, I have a hard time thinking Nance can. I hope Nance can, I love it when MAC guys succeed, but Nance was no where near Ridgeway, despite playing with Big Ben and that great Miami OH offense.

Not a chance that happens. Parrish has great hands (likely the best on the team besides Evans), and he is our quickest/most agile WR. He actually progressed quite nicely last season after returning from injury. If some of you could simply get past your hangups with his height and your hate for the draft pick used to get him, you might see this.

679479[/snapback]

OK,

Well, I've hammered on Reed his whole career too and haven't been wrong yet WRT him. i have a feeling I'll be right on this guy too.

I want production, especially from wideouts. How's his route running? How about his ability to improvise on the fly when his QB is being chased down? How many TDs does he have so far?

Scouts Inc. Analysis:

Strengths: He has great size and good speed for his size. Is tall, well-built and muscular. He tends to build speed as he goes, but does have good top-end speed for his size. He has long arms, great height and impressive leaping ability -- he reportedly as a vertical leap of 34.5". He comes down with a lot of jump balls and is a true threat on fade routes and in the red zone. His size, wingspan and leaping ability make him a potential mismatch versus smaller DB's in man-coverage.

He is a savvy route runner. Not explosive but smooth as a route runner. He will doe a great job of finding soft spots in zone. He isn't afraid to go over the middle. His hands are very reliable. He has big hands and good concentration. Will pluck the ball on the run and also shows the consistent ability to make the tough catch in traffic. He adjusts well to the deep ball and can catch over his shoulder. He has good sideline awareness and is a tough runner after the catch. He shows good vision and some quickness as a runner. He lacks explosive speed but is shifty and has better yards-after-catch production than most players like him. He is a willing blocker with good size and technique. A high-character player with no off-the-field issues. Quiet demeanor but competitive.

Weaknesses: Durability is a concern following season-ending knee injury in 2004. He is fluid but lacks suddenness. He gears down too much when getting into his breaks and he also lacks explosive burst out of his breaks. He is deceptively fast but it takes him a while to reach top speed. He's not going to run away from many defenders in the NFL. He may have a more difficult time separating from man-coverage at the next level, as well, due to his lack of explosive top-end speed.

Overall: Nance redshirted in 2001 and played as a reserve in 2002 before emerging as one of the nation's most productive and explosive receivers as a sophomore in 2003, when he finished with 90 receptions for 1,498 yards and finished fourth nationally with an average of 107 receiving yards per game. A left knee injury (partial tear of ACL) prematurely ended his junior season in 2004, as he played in just five of 13 games and finished with 25 receptions for 337 yards and one TD. Nance bounced back with a hugely productive season as a senior in 2005, when he finished with 1,107 yards and 14 touchdowns on 81 receptions, including a nine-catch, 106-yard performance versus Ohio State.

Nance does not have great initial quickness and he seems to lack suddenness as a route runner. While he has developed into a consistent vertical playmaker at the collegiate level, Nance does not possess elite top-end speed to run by NFL defensive backs. There is some long-term concern regarding his durability, as well. However, Nance showed no signs of lingering affects from his season-ending 2004 knee injury and he continued to dominate the mid-major level of competition as a senior in 2005.

His outstanding production versus Ohio State as a senior helps ease concerns regarding level of competition. Nance has excellent size and is a fluid athlete with deceptive speed. He also possesses elite leaping ability and hands. In our opinion, Nance is worth selecting early on Day 2 of the 2006 draft.

OK,

Well, I've hammered on Reed his whole career too and haven't been wrong yet WRT him. i have a feeling I'll be right on this guy too.

I want production, especially from wideouts. How's his route running? How about his ability to improvise on the fly when his QB is being chased down? How many TDs does he have so far?

679491[/snapback]

He's a slot WR. You're not going to ever get the production I assume you're expecting from him. I'm just saying there's no chance he'll be cut relative to some of the other, lesser WR's on out team. I also forgot to mention he was among the AFC leaders in punt returns for the time that he played last season.

He's a slot WR. You're not going to ever get the production I assume you're expecting from him. I'm just saying there's no chance he'll be cut relative to some of the other, lesser WR's on out team. I also forgot to mention he was among the AFC leaders in punt returns for the time that he played last season.

679524[/snapback]

Ahh....

See, I have no problem with him returning punts. But he DEFINITELY shouldn't be our slot receiver.

Do we keep six WRs?  Evans, Davis, Parrish, Reed, Price, Nance

679330[/snapback]

We did last year, and our receivers only got better. Plus, I think Fairchild's offense calls for a lot of 3, 4, and 5-wide spreads.

Hey Lurker, can you help us out and post the Scouts, Inc. rankings for all our draftees? Thanks.

It's the MAC for god's sakes.  And I went to Ball State, so I'm a MAC fan, but cmon.  Depsite playing with Big Ben, Nance wasn't even the best WR in the MAC.  Dante Ridgeway caught over 90 passes once, and caght 107 passes once for Ball State at the same time Nance was playing, despite BSU being one of the worst teams in the country in Division 1.  Ridgeway was a big time playmaker, the best WR in the MAC two years running, hands down,  and was actually drafted and cut by the Rams.  He has since been picked up by the Jets and I think is in danger of not making the roster this season.

If Ridgeway couldn't do it, I have a hard time thinking Nance can.  I hope Nance can, I love it when MAC guys succeed, but Nance was no where near Ridgeway, despite playing with Big Ben and that great Miami OH offense.

679490[/snapback]

Didn't Miami have a WR named Robinson as their "go to" guy and punt returner? I seem to remember him burning UB on many occassions. I've heard of Nance....just didn't know he was so highly regarded.

Ahh....

See, I have no problem with him returning punts. But he DEFINITELY shouldn't be our slot receiver.

679527[/snapback]

Just because? Does his height prevent him form being a good slot guy to you? He seems to work well in space, so I'm thinking his route running is atleast passible for a slot guy. Different strokes I guess.

Nance bounced back with a hugely productive season as a senior in 2005, when he finished with 1,107 yards and 14 touchdowns on 81 receptions, including a nine-catch, 106-yard performance versus Ohio State.

His outstanding production versus Ohio State as a senior helps ease concerns regarding level of competition. Nance has excellent size and is a fluid athlete with deceptive speed. He also possesses elite leaping ability and hands. In our opinion, Nance is worth selecting early on Day 2 of the 2006 draft.

679497[/snapback]

this apparently against our 1st and 3rd round draft picks! ;):D

It's the MAC for god's sakes.  And I went to Ball State, so I'm a MAC fan, but cmon.  Depsite playing with Big Ben, Nance wasn't even the best WR in the MAC.  Dante Ridgeway caught over 90 passes once, and caght 107 passes once for Ball State at the same time Nance was playing, despite BSU being one of the worst teams in the country in Division 1.  Ridgeway was a big time playmaker, the best WR in the MAC two years running, hands down,  and was actually drafted and cut by the Rams.  He has since been picked up by the Jets and I think is in danger of not making the roster this season.

If Ridgeway couldn't do it, I have a hard time thinking Nance can.  I hope Nance can, I love it when MAC guys succeed, but Nance was no where near Ridgeway, despite playing with Big Ben and that great Miami OH offense.

679490[/snapback]

Just because he caught more passes on an admittidly "bad" team does not mean Ridgeway was better than Nance. In fact by being a standout on a bad team, his numbers may have been inflated as the only go to guy. And saying Ridgeway was hands down the best receiver in the MAC for two years running is debateable since Nance had better numbers in 2003 and also made 2nd team all MAC as a sophomore. Ridgeway didn't even make the all MAC team in 2003. If Nance doesn't go down early in 2004, he puts up big #'s again, doesn't start rusty this year, and is probably a high round draft pick.

Hopefully he takes Parrish's spot.

679295[/snapback]

Why?

Maybe you do not like one of the top return men in the NFL.

Give the kid a break. Let's see what he can do with a year under his belt and healthy.