Bills sign UDFA Martin Nance WR

Didn't Miami have a WR named Robinson as their "go to" guy and punt returner?  I seem to remember him burning UB on many occassions.  I've heard of Nance....just didn't know he was so highly regarded.

679536[/snapback]

That would be Ryne Robinson you're thinking of. He is a hell of a punt returner and a very good reciever but he's real small. He's like Dante Hall a few years ago in that whenever he touches the ball he can break one. He'll be a senior next year and will probably be drafted in the late rounds as a return man if he doesn't persue a baseball career (he probably will because he's a star baseball player too).

That being said, Nance was always the "go to" guy. Robinson really only emerged as a legit receiving threat in 2004 after Nance went down. If he was healthy all of 2004, I think a lot of people would have heard of him coming into this draft. FWIW, after Roethlisberger was drafted he said in some interview something along the lines of "I won't be the biggest name to come out of Miami, it wil be Martin Nance." Obviously, that isn't going to happen but it says something about his talent.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think he will beat out Parrish who's shown not a whole hell of a lot and is fragile beyond belief.

679350[/snapback]

Jonathan Mr. Dancing Smith will be gone....Aiken will stay for a year more...

Parrrish will return punts.

Jonathan Mr. Dancing Smith will be gone....Aiken will stay for a year more...

Parrrish will return punts.

679614[/snapback]

I would rather have Fast Freddie. He can at least take a hit and isn't afraid of the snow.

Just because he caught more passes on an admittidly "bad" team does not mean Ridgeway was better than Nance. In fact by being a standout on a bad team, his numbers may have been inflated as the only go to guy. And saying Ridgeway was hands down the best receiver in the MAC for two years running is debateable since Nance had better numbers in 2003 and also made 2nd team all MAC as a sophomore. Ridgeway didn't even make the all MAC team in 2003. If Nance doesn't go down early in 2004, he puts up big #'s again, doesn't start rusty this year, and is probably a high round draft pick.

679566[/snapback]

Ummmmmmmmmm, Ridgeway was one of four WR's up for the Biletnikoff (SP?) award, was actually invited to that ceremony at the college awards show, and was drafted. If you know the MAC at all, you would know Dante Ridgeway was the premiere WR in the league. Hands down.

The MAC has sent some good football players to the pros. However, their WR's hardly ever pan out. I guess Randy Moss would be considered a MAC WR, but the only reason he was in the MAC, at the time, was because of behavior problems. Other than Moss, Ridgeway was one of the MAC's most acclaimed WR's ever.

Ummmmmmmmmm, Ridgeway was one of four WR's up for the Biletnikoff (SP?) award, was actually invited to that ceremony at the college awards show, and was drafted.  If you know the MAC at all, you would know Dante Ridgeway was the premiere WR in the league.  Hands down.

The MAC has sent some good football players to the pros.  However, their WR's hardly ever pan out.  I guess Randy Moss would be considered a MAC WR, but the only reason he was in the MAC, at the time, was because of behavior problems.  Other than Moss, Ridgeway was one of the MAC's most acclaimed WR's ever.

679656[/snapback]

I'm not saying he wasn't one of the conference's premier recievers for his career, and the premier receiver during his final year (I know he was also a 2nd team all american that year). All I meant was that it seems hard to say hands down he is the best for two stright years when in the first one, 6 guys all together were named 1st or 2nd team all conference players and he wasn't one of them. His final year, yeah he was the best for sure. The previous year, you can make cases for some others. Didn' t mean to ruffle your feathers. Also, Darius (sp?) Watts was one of the recent MAC recievers who has caught on and had a little success at the NFL level.

I'm not saying he wasn't one of the conference's premier recievers for his career, and the premier receiver during his final year (I know he was also a 2nd team all american that year). All I meant was that it seems hard to say hands down he is the best for two stright years when in the first one, 6 guys all together were named 1st or 2nd team all conference players and he wasn't one of them. His final year, yeah he was the best for sure. The previous year, you can make cases for some others. Didn' t mean to ruffle your feathers. Also, Darius (sp?) Watts was one of the recent MAC recievers who has caught on and had a little success at the NFL level.

679864[/snapback]

You didn't ruffle my feathers at all. But Ridgeway's QB's, especially three years ago were awful. They were so bad his 2nd year, they had a local High School Walk-On take over the job about 4 games in. This football program was a mess when Ridgeway was there, which makes his on the field accomplishments even better. He came out for the draft early because of the state of BSU's program. He was widely known and regarded as the conferences #1 WR by far, even though BSU doesn't even play in a passing offense. They are alot more balanced now that former Michigan coach Brady Hoke has taken over, but what Ridgeway accomplished was unreal.

But anyway, Watts is a perfect example of a MAC WR. He pretty much is a zero in the NFL that will get replaced when a team has better depth at the position. The MAC has developed some great QB's, and alot of solid offensive lineman and special teams skill players in recent years. WR's are not the conferences strong suit. You have to figure that with Big Ben, Omar Jacobs, Bruce Gradkowsi and some of the other elite MAC offenses, no WR's have really caught on with anybody from any of those teams. Nance will be another guy cut during camp, and he might get a chance on another team then will disappear.

Switching subjects though......where did Gradkowski end up?

I'll say this for the 5046th time....I could care less what the ESPN jokers think. What I want is a dominating offensive line, and we've taken exactly ZERO steps toward getting that as a team.

Don't give me Reyes and Fowler.

They didn't make a play for Hutch OR Bentley. They didn't draft an OL on the first day. So, in my "meaningless" opinion, they've done nothing to show a serious inclination to fixing what has been a disasterous part of this franchise, a part which has kept the team out of the playoffs for 6 seasons now.

I'm sure some smartass is going to come along and say "quit whining". Well, hey, geniuses...tell me why YOU think this OL is going to be better. And don't give me "Well, Reyes isn't Anderson".

679368[/snapback]

Some of us were bitching about a line for years now but some clowns thought that would fix itself once McGahee was proclaimed starting tail back and when DB was released. So hush :doh:

Not a chance that happens. Parrish has great hands (likely the best on the team besides Evans), and he is our quickest/most agile WR. He actually progressed quite nicely last season after returning from injury. If some of you could simply get past your hangups with his height and your hate for the draft pick used to get him, you might see this.

679479[/snapback]

I still like Parrish. He can take over McGee's spot returning kicks. He's already the punt returner is he not?