Round 5 (#143) Selection: OT Brad Butler

SDS

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup definitely drafting high character guys. :)  This is the virginia tackle that cheapshoted Kiwanuka during the Virgina/BC game

http://virginiasports.cstv.com/sports/m-fo.../101005aac.html

678229[/snapback]

I love this guy. I can't wait to see him do a Conrad Dobler on Tedi Bruschi. Boy! The ESPN Papparazzi will swallow their teeth in disbelief. :huh:

I love this guy. I can't wait to see him do a Conrad Dobler on Tedi Bruschi. Boy! The ESPN Papparazzi will swallow their teeth in disbelief.  :)

678397[/snapback]

It'd be worth league minimum to watch him take that chump out. Tedy might set an NFL record in "hits" if we get this guy on the line.

Yup definitely drafting high character guys. :)   This is the virginia tackle that cheapshoted Kiwanuka during the Virgina/BC game

http://virginiasports.cstv.com/sports/m-fo.../101005aac.html

678229[/snapback]

Yup.... real high character....he's also been suspended from UVA rec sports program for threatening a female umpire..... a real class act...... people here in Charlottesville think he's an a$$. :huh:

My friend at UVA athletics tells me he's coming off shoulder surgery????

Yup.... real high character....he's also been suspended from UVA rec sports program for threatening a female umpire..... a real class act...... people here in Charlottesville think he's an a$$.    :)

My friend at UVA athletics tells me he's coming off shoulder surgery????

678442[/snapback]

Not To Blame :(
Bills director of college scouting Doug Majeski talked about Butler.

"He's a right tackle which is probably the best position for him to play for us," said Majeski. "He's a smart, tough guy. People want to knock him athletically, but he does everything we need a right tackle to do. His feet are good and he has good hand play. Being a taller guy he's not going to be an explosive run blocker, but he's a good fit and glue to block kind of guy. He gets the job done."

"He's a technician coming out of college," said Majeski. "He's already figured that out because he's so well coached. We'd like him to add a little more weight. He's about 300 pounds right now."

On the fight he had with Boston College DE Mathias Kiwanuka last season.

"He clipped Kiwanuka and they were having a pretty good battle during the game," said Majeski. "The president at Virginia suspended him. I'm not so sure it was warranted, but he's an aggressive player that is going to get after you. I like that in an offensive lineman personally. He's going to get after you."

:(:huh:

Though he sounds like a candidate for the Duke lacrosse team, my sense is that the Bills braintrust certainly would consider a malingerer or someone who had been charged with a crime a real character problem, they are quite comfortable with a player who has a bit of nastiness in the Chris Villarial mode.

I think folks are probably grasping at straws hoping for any thing more than a back-up contribution to the OL for anyone taken in this draft. The Bills 3rd round pick of Yerbouty (or however you spell it) in the 3rd marked a shift from a Billsbias toward a NEED approach to drafting (reaching to get Whitmer because he likely was the last of 2 guys who they thought could start immediately to fill our SS starter hole and trading up to get McCargo who likely was the lone plyer left they judged could immediately contribute on as DT).

They went with Yerbo who some had going as high as the 1st even though we are pretty set at CB for this year now that BC has been tagged, Competition is always good so glad to have him and this ratchets up negotiating pressure on NC another notch.

Particularly on the second day there really is no one who should reasonably be expected to start for this team this year even with us rebuilding.

It wasn't a bad pick, but I do remember when everyone was ripping that guy to shreds for his cheap shot.  It was pretty pathetic that he did that.  And I still say he's a goon for doing it.  Here's the clip if u need a refresher.  :lol:

http://media.putfile.com/CheapShotUVa_Kiwi25

678630[/snapback]

Ouch...looked like he might have had a handful or two of jersey also

The Bills 3rd round pick of Yerbouty (or however you spell it) in the 3rd marked a shift from a Billsbias toward a NEED approach to drafting (reaching to get Whitmer because he likely was the last of 2 guys who they thought could start immediately to fill our SS starter hole and trading up to get McCargo who likely was the lone plyer left they judged could immediately contribute on as DT).

They went with Yerbo who some had going as high as the 1st even though we are pretty set at CB for this year now that BC has been tagged,  Competition is always good so glad to have him and this ratchets up negotiating pressure on NC another notch.

678636[/snapback]

I think I disagree. Nickel CB virtually a starting position in this League, and anybody who watched the second Miami game last year has to think that Nickel CB was an area of need. I think Yerbouty instantly pushes King and Greer for serious playing time at Nickel Back.

Indeed, I think this draft is very interesting in that both Whitner and McCargo could be opening day starters, and sooner rather than later Yerbouty could have serious playing time as the nickel CB. Kyle Williams will also receive playing time as our fourth Tackle, and if Vincent goes down for any length of time, Simpson will be in the game.... So by my book, we got five players in this draft who will be active on game days and playing in games for us.

JDG

Gadfly hit the nail on the head. This was a good draft for the Bills. They may not have drafted flash, but they have a bunch of guys who will contribute immediately. Butler played in an NFL style offense under Al Groh at UVa and his play on the same line as the Brick can only benefit him. A guy with a bit of attitude blocking for McGahee is what we were missing last year, though how far his nastiness goes has to be a concern. But knowing the emphasis that Marv and the scouts put on character, they would not have drafted him if they did not feel he was generally a good guy.

Go Sabres!!!!