2001 Draft Grades

Enjoy!

Great picks:

Gerrard Warren, Quincy Carter, Kenyatta Walker, James Boyd, Kenyatta Jones, Chris Weinke, Onome Ojo

Bad Picks:

Alge Crumpler, Ryan Pickett, Marcus Stroud, Steve Smith, LaMont Jordan, Reggie Wayne, Duece McAllister.

We got a C+ for a draft that landed Schobel, Clements, Jennings, and Travis Henry.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We got a C+ for a draft that landed Schobel, Clements, Jennings, and Travis Henry.

678032[/snapback]

I could have seen this being a B at best. Henry was good for us but has falen to sh-- lately. Schoebel is a high-end of the average category of a DE. Jennings? Useless. Clements has been good up until last season.

CAROLINA      WR Steve Smith. He isn't ready to contribute at

receiver, and it's doubtful he will wrestle the

kickoff-return chores from Michael Bates. The Panthers

spent a third-round pick on a punt returner

INDIANAPOLIS  WR Reggie Wayne. He's a solid player, but there

really isn't much upside here. The Colts need

someone to complement Marvin Harrison; Chad

Johnson was that guy.

Yeah. All really bad picks with no possible impact to the teams that selected them...

Great find!!!

I could have seen this being a B at best. Henry was good for us but has falen to sh-- lately. Schoebel is a high-end of the average category of a DE. Jennings? Useless. Clements has been good up until last season.

678041[/snapback]

Isn't B better than C+ ?? :lol:

This one is great!

DETROIT      Millen couldn't have done any better in his first

draft. The Lions got stronger in the trenches on both

sides of the ball with three potential impact players

(Jeff Backus, Raiola and Shaun Rogers). Grade: A-

Don't interrupt him when he's on such a roll.

678067[/snapback]

ATTENTION ALL PLANETS OF THE SOLAR FEDERATION

WE HAVE CONSUMED A ROLL

WE HAVE CONSUMED A ROLL

WE HAVE CONSUMED A ROLL

:lol:

Some more goodies:

Carolina Panthers

Reach Pick: Steve Smith, WR Utah, 3rd round

Smith is a good player but they took him too high. Weinke might be a steal in the 4th round. We like this draft more than most do as they strengthened their defense by leaps and bounds.

Chicago Bears

1st pick: David Terrell, WR Michigan

Best Value Pick: Karon Riley, DE Minnesota, 4th round

Reach Pick: Mike Gandy, OG Notre Dame, 3rd round

After opening their mouths about wanting Andre Carter, San Francisco snaked ahead of the Bears to grab him. Good for Chicago as Terrell is a better need player. Getting Riley later negates the loss of Carter. Michigan RB Anthony Thomas will contribute right off the bat.

Grade: A

I love this one. They nailed the grade, but for the wrong players.

Buffalo Bills

1st pick: Nate Clements, DB Ohio State

Best Value Pick: Marques Sullivan, OT Illinois, 5th round

Reach Pick: Dan O'Leary TE Notre Dame, 6th round

We LOVE this draft. Clements is great, but they got NFL starters in RB Travis Henry of Tennessee, LB Brandon Spoon of North Carolina and DT Ron Edwards of Texas A&M. DB Jimmy Williams of Vanderbilt in the 6th round is a steal.

Grade: A

NE

1st pick: Richard Seymour, DT Georgia

Best Value Pick: T.J. Turner, LB Michigan State, 7th round

Reach Pick: Kenyatta Jones, OG South Florida, 4th round

We love the tight ends they got in Notre Dame's Jabari Holloway (4th) and South Carolina State's Arther Love (6th). T.J. Turner should be a steal in the 7th round. Their three picks after Seymour, Purdue OG Matt Light, Notre Dame DB Brock Williams and South Florida OG Kenyatta Jones, were all reaches.

I love this one:

BUFFALO RB Travis Henry. He indeed has second-round

talent, but is he really an upgrade over what the

Bills already have? Sammy Morris and Shawn

Bryson could keep Henry on the bench as a rookie.

He proved 'em wrong for a little while.

I love this one:

BUFFALO      RB Travis Henry. He indeed has second-round

talent, but is he really an upgrade over what the

Bills already have? Sammy Morris and Shawn

Bryson could keep Henry on the bench as a rookie.

He proved 'em wrong for a little while.

681784[/snapback]

And when you look at the career-span for a RB, TH lasted longer than the average of ~ 2 seasons... then, we got a 3rd in a trade. Not bad value for him (even tho there is a sad chew-'em-up-spit-'em-out quality to the story), I'd say.

But then, that requires someone who types for a living to realize that not every RB will have a 15-year career like Emmitt Smith.

Enjoy!

Great picks:

Gerrard Warren, Quincy Carter, Kenyatta Walker, James Boyd, Kenyatta Jones, Chris Weinke, Onome Ojo

Bad Picks: 

Alge Crumpler, Ryan Pickett, Marcus Stroud, Steve Smith, LaMont Jordan, Reggie Wayne, Duece McAllister.

678032[/snapback]

Actually if you read what they say much of their reasoning is right on. Many times they're not critiquing the player but that the team didn't draft to fill its needs. Considering the lack of success some of these teams have had I'd say the guy writing the article did a pretty good job.

Alge Crumpler: They criticize the Falcons for taking Crumpler when they already used high round picks on the position in 2 our of the last 4 years. They say he has a lot of upside but don't understand the logic of the pick for the Falcons. That sounds fair to me.

Duece McAllister: Their point here is that this is a luxury pick for a team with so many holes. Why draft Duece when Ricky Williams was drafted a few years earlier and had been productive? Again a solid point.

Lamont Jordon: They simply say that the Jets had greater needs, like the DL and should have addressed those needs instead. What did Jordon ever do for the Jets? He sat on the bench. The guy was spot on.

Reggie Wayne: One of the beefs is that he felt Chad Johnson would have been a much better pick for the Colts. Would anyone say otherwise?

Ryan Pickett: They didn't have a problem with the player (if you read the Rams draft grade they give them a good grade and mention Pickett). The problem he has it that they could have moved back and still got him. I don't recall the draft well enough to know if I agree with this but it's worth pointing out that he didn't say Pickett was a bad player.

Overall I'd say this might not have been the best choice in trying to illustrate your point (and your point is a valid one to be sure).

Actually if you read what they say much of their reasoning is right on.  Many times they're not critiquing the player but that the team didn't draft to fill its needs.  Considering the lack of success some of these teams have had I'd say the guy writing the article did a pretty good job.

Alge Crumpler: They criticize the Falcons for taking Crumpler when they already used high round picks on the position in 2 our of the last 4 years.  They say he has a lot of upside but don't understand the logic of the pick for the Falcons.  That sounds fair to me.

So, what's your opinion on Bellichick continuing to stack his roster with TEs?

Duece McAllister: Their point here is that this is a luxury pick for a team with so many holes.  Why draft Duece when Ricky Williams was drafted a few years earlier and had been productive?  Again a solid point.

And how did that pick turn out for the Saints?

These analyses prove one thing. Usually teams know a hell of a lot more about what their needs are, then those who populate the draft guide cottage industry.

Schoebel is a high-end of the average category of a DE.

678041[/snapback]

Not that I have faith in any anylist anymore but for what it's worth....

2005 league DE rankings & grades from Scouts. Inc.

1 Julius Peppers 95

2 Dwight Freeney 94

3 Michael Strahan 93

4 Jason Taylor 90

5 Jevon Kearse 85

6 Shaun Ellis 84

7 Charles Grant 83

8 Aaron Schobel 82

9 Leonard Little 82

10 Simeon Rice 82