Bills tidbit in today's ESPN Insider

Lurker

ESPN Insider tidbit:

Updated: April 21, 2006, 12:13 PM ET

By Todd McShay

Scouts Inc.

Despite their switch from a two-gap defensive front to more of a one-gap penetration scheme, the Bills have Oregon DT Haloti Ngata rated ahead of Florida State DT Brodrick Bunkley. Ngata is a massive prospect (338 pounds) who seemingly fits the Ted Washington-mold as a space-eating nose tackle in the middle of a 3-4 scheme. However, Ngata spent most of his time as a 4-3 DT/NT at Oregon and would be asked to do the same if drafted by the Bills with the eighth overall pick.

Word has it that new general manager Marv Levy has concerns regarding Bunkley's off-the-field issues and also worries about the Florida State product adjusting to the cold winters in Buffalo. That said, the Bills are not as sold on drafting a defensive tackle with their first-round pick (No. 8) as most have been led to believe. In fact, we've been told the team would seriously consider drafting Texas DB Michael Huff if he's available.

Good timing, when the pencil neck geek says just the opposite.

Bills | Team focused on Bunkley?

Fri, 21 Apr 2006 13:04:26 -0700

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports the Buffalo Bills sound as though they are focused on taking Florida State DT Brodrick Bunkley with the eighth pick in the first round of next week's NFL Draft. Oregon DT Haloti Ngata is too big and not quick enough for their new Cover 2 defensive scheme, which needs quicker defensive linemen. The Bills could be tempted to trade down a few spots if they get the right offer and still be in position to come up with Bunkley.

667173[/snapback]

Too funny :flirt: . Gotta love these guys!

I think Marv's top 8 draft board is similar to this:

1. Bush

2. Fergy

3. Hawk

4. Super Mario

5. Leinart

6. Huff

7. Ngata

8. Davis

As you can see, I don't believe Bunkley even makes Marv's top 8 board.

But Young (who I suspect isn't on Marv's board either) and Davis are expected to be picked ahead of the Bills, leaving Huff and Ngata at #8. So in my best estimates, Huff is our man.

Huff makes sense, too. Has all the skills to be a Pro Bowl free safety, smart guy, great leader, GREAT production throughout college, VERY fast which is important to our cover 2, ballhawk, can play emergency CB, no injury or character baggage, and this could be a subtle but key point - plays the same position our coach played in the NFL.

His only conceivable negatives: went to the same college as Vagina Williams, and does not play OL or DL.

But then again, looking back, we would have been better off if we picked Roy Williams over Vagina. Let's not make a similar mistake!

667173[/snapback]

Though you did leave out a sentence.

Cornerback Michael Huff of Texas would be a consideration but the team looks at him as more of a safety.

Well...

If you take a Safety in the Top 10 he better be All-World...Especially on a Team in desperate Need of Interior Linemen on both Offense and Defense...

I don't think Huff will be All-World at Saftey or Corner. He's good, but not that good. I'm definitely not in favor of Drafting Huff at #8, which unfortunately for me means that is EXACTLY what The Bills will do...Seeing as though I never get their Pick right...ever... :flirt:

ESPN Insider tidbit:

Word has it that new general manager Marv Levy has concerns regarding Bunkley's off-the-field issues and also worries about the Florida State product adjusting to the cold winters in Buffalo. That said, the Bills are not as sold on drafting a defensive tackle with their first-round pick (No. 8) as most have been led to believe. In fact, we've been told the team would seriously consider drafting Texas DB Michael Huff if he's available. [/i]

667136[/snapback]

Let me get this strait. Marv is worried about Bunkley in the cold weather but is looking to take Huff from Texas? Didn't Huff recently praise the weather in Miami after his recent visit there?

Well...

If you take a Safety in the Top 10 he better be All-World...Especially on a Team in desperate Need of Interior Linemen on both Offense and Defense...

I don't think Huff will be All-World at Saftey or Corner. He's good, but not that good. I'm definitely not in favor of Drafting Huff at #8, which unfortunately for me means that is EXACTLY what The Bills will do...Seeing as though I never get their Pick right...ever... :lol:

667236[/snapback]

can someone please explain to me what the hell all world is lol

I have been contemplating this for a while and I think the best way to aproach this draft is to take Huff at #8, unless there is a trade down. Then with our 2nd, take a DT and with both or 3rds, select O-Line.

IMO, Huff seems like the safest pick because of his character and his talent. With proper coaching, I think he could become all world. I am not enamored with Huff, but I think he represents the safest pick as opposed to putting all or eggs in one basket with either Bunkley, Ngata, or Justice at #8, unless we trade down.

The best thing about Huff is the sound of his name.

I will say he does have good hand/eye coordination as his interceptions attest. But his highlight reel shows about 80% of his tackles are at the collarline and oddly doesn't feature any great pass defended plays - other than the interceptions - where he's shown to often be the opportunist beneficiary of his team's swarming harrassment of the opponent. His highlight reel is suspiciously silent about showing his close man coverage skills the likes of which he will have to play in the Pros.

I don't see The Bills taking him at 8.

JMHO

The best thing about Huff is the sound of his name.

I will say he does have good hand/eye coordination as his interceptions attest. But his highlight reel shows about 80% of his tackles are at the collarline and oddly doesn't feature any great pass defended plays - other than the interceptions - where he's shown to often be the opportunist beneficiary of his team's swarming harrassment of the opponent. His highlight reel is suspiciously silent about showing his close man coverage skills the likes of which he will have to play in the Pros.

I don't see The Bills taking him at 8.

JMHO

667413[/snapback]

It is a highlight reel and highlight reels are usually non-existent of pedestrian plays like good coverage or a defended pass and abundant of spectacular plays. He is a S and he may be responsible for covering a WR on a blitz or a TE or RB in normal coverage, but just because youdon't see him defending a pass in his highlight reel doesn't necessarily mean he is no good in coverage.

It is a highlight reel and highlight reels are usually non-existent of pedestrian plays like good coverage or a defended pass and abundant of spectacular plays.  He is a S and he may be responsible for covering a WR on a blitz or a TE or RB in normal coverage, but just because youdon't see him defending a pass in his highlight reel doesn't necessarily mean he is no good in coverage.

667414[/snapback]

Didn't say that. But if he's going to play safety in the NFL he'll get his fingernails ripped off if he tries to collar tackle RBs and TEs. He certainly doesn't show a habit of taking them on at the hips. I disagree about good coverage and defended passes as being "pedestrian plays." They're the bread and butter of every NFL level CB, and I've seen plenty of them on highlight reels of college hopefuls.

I don't see The Bills picking him at 8. 12 maybe, but not 8. And what does Cleveland want at our 8 spot anyway? Marv's saying 12, and Cleveland's sitting at 12. What does he know that we don't? :lol::lol::)

Didn't say that. But if he's going to play safety in the NFL he'll get his fingernails ripped off if he tries to collar tackle RBs and TEs. He certainly doesn't show a habit of taking them on at the hips. I disagree about good coverage and defended passes as being "pedestrian plays." They're the bread and butter of every NFL level CB, and I've seen plenty of them on highlight reels of college hopefuls.

I don't see The Bills picking him at 8. 12 maybe, but not 8. And what does Cleveland want at our 8 spot anyway? Marv's saying 12, and Cleveland's sitting at 12. What does he know that we don't?  :lol:  :lol:  :)

667427[/snapback]

Cleveland has been said to be eyeing one of the DTs at the #8 spot. I agree that Huff may be a reach at #8 but isn't that what they were saying about Roy Williams when he was drafted at the #8 spot the year that we the fat lazy retard MW? I don't think that he would be there at #12 if we swapped with Cleveland. If that were to happen, maybe Justice or either Bunkley or Ngata will still be available if we swapped.

I think Fewell, who was a DB when he played in the league, might be able to teach proper technique when it comes to tackling.

I am not saying that defended passes are pedestrian, and I agree that they are the bread and butter of an NFL DB, but I certainly wouldn't consider them highlight material.