With the 8th selection...

From the University of Oregon, Defensive Tackle Haloti Ngata

Reasons...

1. This is the number 1 need area for the Bills. We can't wait until the second round to address our Defensive Tackle weakness. Even though I love all the Buckeyes, Tim Anderson should not be starting.

2. Major smoke screen: This idea that Ngata doesn't fit into the Bills new scheme! This is not true, in fact Ngata fits pefectly. Fewell's system wants agressive playmaking tackles and not big run stuffers... that's a load of crap. Triplett will be our agressive tackle, but we need someone who will constantly take up two blockers and can still get to the runningback/quarterback. Ngata is the man.

Due to these reasons... Ngata has to be the man in Buffalo. If someone like Da'Brick or even A.J. Hawk fall to number 8, I STILL believe that the Bills need to take Ngata. Sure I'd love to see a playmaker like Hawk or even Huff taken, but it would be foolish to have Hawk backing up Spikes for three years, while our defensive line remains the worst in the league.

By the way: This opinion is coming from a person who was NEVER ga ga over this mammoth tackle... but at the same time I look forward to him putting on the Bills uniform.

Ngata has to be the man in Buffalo.  If someone like Da'Brick or even A.J. Hawk fall to number 8, I STILL believe that the Bills need to take Ngata.  Sure I'd love to see a playmaker like Hawk or even Huff taken, but it would be foolish to have Hawk backing up Spikes for three years, while our defensive line remains the worst in the league. 

By the way:  This opinion is coming from a person who was NEVER ga ga over this mammoth tackle... but at the same time I look forward to him putting on the Bills uniform.

665213[/snapback]

Hawk would immediately put Posey out of the lineup and perhaps on waivers. Ferguson would be a very wise choice.

Best athlete available in Round 1. Never reach for a need where $$ is critical. Ferguson and Hawk are rated far above Ngata overall.

By the way:  This opinion is coming from a person who was NEVER ga ga over this mammoth tackle... but at the same time I look forward to him putting on the Bills uniform.

665213[/snapback]

So you're not, as you put it, "ga ga" over Ngata yet you'd select him over Hawk or D'Brick? Are you high? :ph34r:

If someone like Da'Brick or even A.J. Hawk fall to number 8, I STILL believe that the Bills need to take Ngata. 

I'm not saying what should happen, or what would be financially advantageous to happen... I'm just saying what WILL happen 10 days from now.

665228[/snapback]

OK, you're saying that if Hawk and/or D'Brick are available the Bills will take Ngata...? Ngataeffin way.

I honestly doubt we will be drafting in the 8th slot. I have a feeling we will trade down for additional picks. Plus I don't think ole Ralph wants to pony up the coin required to sign a top 10 pick.

I honestly doubt we will be drafting in the 8th slot. I have a feeling we will trade down for additional picks. Plus I don't think ole Ralph wants to pony up the coin required to sign a top 10 pick.

665275[/snapback]

I don't doubt the Bills moving down in the first round, but if they do, it won't have anything to do with money. It will be because there isn't a player at 8 at a position of great need. Huff...yeah, a safety would be nice, but not a must have. The Bills must haves are along both lines, and there isn't anyone likely to be available @8 who is worth that high a pick. No sense reaching...It aint about the coin.

i am beginning to think the Bills will go with either Ngata or Bunkley with their first pick. (unless they manage to trade down.)

my preference would be to see them take Winston Justice first but I also think there will be OLinemen available with their 2nd and 3rd round picks that can contribute right away, while the DL depth will drop off significantly after the first round.

The Bills must haves are along both lines, and there isn't anyone likely to be available @8 who is worth that high a pick. 

665282[/snapback]

Maybe, maybe not. I do see your point, but I hoping that the Bills management/scouting staff can do what the Bengals did when they drafted Levi Jones.

Jones was projected to go in the late teens or even twenties, and the Bengals grabbed him at #9. They could have traded down and risked losing him, but instead they gambled, and their reward is having one of the best LTs in the NFL.

The teams that win are the teams who can find and draft good blockers. Our record is directly tied into our failure to do so imo.

I agree about Ngata being the pick but not if brick or Hawk are on the board

but it is moot, they won't be, so your prediction should hold true.

Draft SHOULD go

Bush - Williams - Leinart - Brick - Hawk - Davis - Young

Then Bills select from

Ngata - Bunkley - Huff - Justice

I think they will go with Ngata

I like the other three fine, though.

The guy who might fall , in my opinion, is Davis.

I would be ecstatic if they get Davis.

A trade up MIGHT change the order a bit (Denver is salivating over Davis - to get him, they would have to trade with someone in 1-5 slots. Green Bay should be the match for the broncos (cheapest spot to get their guy). San Fran, unable to grab Davis might then go for Ngata but they might take Hawk then. Interesting how Hawk starts to slide south if Denver butts in........

Right now, it seems like the Bills brass view DT as a much greater need than OT. During the Levy/Polian years, the team almost always drafted based on need and then talent and was willing to make moves to reconcile the two. However, I think if Hawk, Ferguson, or Williams somehow falls to 8, Marv will go with one of them as they are all positions of need as no one knows if Spikes will be the same player. If those guys aren't there, I think Marv will entertain offers to move down a few spots if somebody wants one of the 3 QB's. If someone is willing to give up say a 3rd rounder, the Bills could move down and still be guaranteed to get Bunkley, Ngata, Justice, or even Huff. 2nd round - best Guard available as it seems there are some good ones slotted around our pick.

I'm not saying what should happen, or what would be financially advantageous to happen... I'm just saying what WILL happen 10 days from now.

665228[/snapback]

Will ya stop wasting your gift on such trivial stuff and just give us the Powerball numbers?

i am beginning to think the Bills will go with either Ngata or Bunkley with their first pick.  (unless they manage to trade down.)

my preference would be to see them take Winston Justice first but I also think there will be OLinemen available with their 2nd and 3rd round picks that can contribute right away, while the DL depth will drop off significantly after the first round.

665299[/snapback]

Conversely, I don't think the drop off at DT is as you say. At this point, I'd like us to drop 2-3 spots and take Justice. IMO, Detroit and Arizona will bypass WJ. Justice, IMO, will be better at his position than Ngata will be at his. Quality interior lineman, offensive and defensive, can be had in subsequent rounds.

Conversely, I don't think the drop off at DT is as you say. At this point, I'd like us to drop 2-3 spots and take Justice. IMO, Detroit and Arizona will bypass WJ. Justice, IMO, will be better at his position than Ngata will be at his. Quality interior lineman, offensive and defensive, can be had in subsequent rounds.

665324[/snapback]

i agree there will still quality DL available, but not any that will contribute right away.....the key for the Bills management is to at the very least be competitive. if they don't draft someone that will help make them competitive, they won't sell tickets, and that is the name of the game.

Did anyone watch the Oregon-Oklahoma Holiday Bowl? Ngata was handled with ease by a single blocker. I really think Buffalo would be better off trading down and trying to accumulate some draft picks. I don't think Ngata is not all he's hyped up to be.

I don't doubt the Bills moving down in the first round, but if they do, it won't have anything to do with money. 

665282[/snapback]

That is where i stand.With so many holes picking up extra picks in this draft is essential...of course it goes without saying...ones who can step in and contribute.Lots of goodies will still be available in rounds 2 &3...

Did anyone watch the Oregon-Oklahoma Holiday Bowl? Ngata was handled with ease by a single blocker. I really think Buffalo would be better off trading down and trying to accumulate some draft picks. I don't think Ngata is not all he's hyped up to be.

Yes, and that single blocker will be our second round pick after taking Ngata in the 1st....LG Davin Joseph.

Hawk would immediately put Posey out of the lineup and perhaps on waivers. Ferguson would be a very wise choice.

Best athlete available in Round 1. Never reach for a need where $$ is critical. Ferguson and Hawk are rated far above Ngata overall.

665222[/snapback]

Hawk is a weak side linebacker or inside linebacker. We play a 4-3 therefore dont have an inside linebacker but rather a middle linebacker which Hawk is not. I have no problems releasing Posey, he plays the strong side so Hawk could not play there. If you draft Hawk you would have to move Spikes to the strong side.

665275[/snapback]

Maybe I am just being too negative, but Marv doesn't seem to have a ton of moxy thus far. Somehow, I get the feeling if we trade down, we are going to get fleeced somehow...I hope we stay at #8, or move up...