Larry Felser's take on the NFL's "cold gesture"

TDRupp

On it's face, it does look like a pay-back for the anit new CBA stance. But a closer look says probably not:

They play 2 Florida teams (Jax & Miami), 1 California team (San Diego) and the 4th team is still (just) South of the Mason-Dixon line (Tenneesee). Four teams that very much used to much warmer weather after Thanksgiving. I'd say that is a nice thing about the schedule and of course it would behoove the Bills to be close to .500 in order to get a full house at each of them.

Now, at NE and at Miami might be viewed as a cold slap from the NFL because starting 0-2 on the road when everyone can watch could have a dampering affect on us. I like the schedule though. It gives us a chance to surprise a few teams (Miami without Culpepper or when he is not in-synch yet or Minny) early.

I agree, other than the first 2 games, I think we have a great schedule. Home games in Dec. and all 1pm starts are both good for us.

And even starting at NE isn't so bad, because they'll have zero film to study on our new offense. So it may be our best shot at them. And Miami may still be questionable at QB in week 2. So, I can even find silver linings in those two games.

I agree, other than the first 2 games, I think we have a great schedule.  Home games in Dec. and all 1pm starts are both good for us. 

And even starting at NE isn't so bad, because they'll have zero film to study on our new offense.  So it may be our best shot at them.  And Miami may still be questionable at QB in week 2.  So, I can even find silver linings in those two games.

663140[/snapback]

Having the bye on 10/29 sucks. This is a great time for a home game in Western New York. We need every edge to sell tickets.

I agree, other than the first 2 games, I think we have a great schedule. Home games in Dec. and all 1pm starts are both good for us.

And even starting at NE isn't so bad, because they'll have zero film to study on our new offense. So it may be our best shot at them. And Miami may still be questionable at QB in week 2. So, I can even find silver linings in those two games.

Good points. I predict the score of the first NE game will be 31-0, Bills. Just keeping the balance.

The 1st few posters don't get it. People are less inclined to go to games towards the end of the season due to the uncertainty of the weather. Add that fact to the Bills attempt to be a regional franchise & it multiplies multi-fold because now it's not just the cold but the gameday travel conditions for out of town fans like me.

I haven't missed a home game in over 15 years & with this schedule, I see no way I'll make all the games, especially with the final game of 4 games in 5 weeks taking place on Christmas Eve.

It may be a nice schedule for the "TV Fans", but for the "Stadium Fans" especially the ones who travel to get to the games, it's real bad news.

The 1st few posters don't get it.  People are less inclined to go to games towards the end of the season due to the uncertainty of the weather.  Add that fact to the Bills attempt to be a regional franchise & it multiplies multi-fold because now it's not just the cold but the gameday travel conditions for out of town fans like me. 

I haven't missed a home game in over 15 years & with this schedule, I see no way I'll make all the games, especially with the final game of 4 games in 5 weeks taking place on Christmas Eve. 

It may be a nice schedule for the "TV Fans", but for the "Stadium Fans"  especially the ones who travel to get to the games, it's real bad news.

663201[/snapback]

I thought that I "got it," no? :angry:

Btw, this year will be either NE or GB. See you then, and bring your friend. :angry:

I thought that I "got it," no?  :angry:

Btw, this year will be either NE or GB. See you then, and bring your friend.  :angry:

663204[/snapback]

I should have said 1st 3, you were the 1st to get it's about ticket sales, the whole point of Felser's article. Petrino plans on about 6 games this year, he'll be lucky if he makes 4-that extra hour really makes a difference. When I lived downstate (LI) I was lucky to make 1 game a year.

People are less inclined to go to games towards the end of the season due to the uncertainty of the weather.  Add that fact to the Bills attempt to be a regional franchise & it multiplies multi-fold because now it's not just the cold but the gameday travel conditions for out of town fans like me. 

663201[/snapback]

Plus as Ralphs says, winning is the best marketing. If the team gets off to a rough start, the casual fan will stay home from the crappy weather games against non-traditional opponents like Jax, SD and Tennessee.

I completly agree and was happy to see the warm weather teams come to our stadium in the 2nd half of the season. Felser is wrong.

663147[/snapback]

Felser's underlying point is that we may get off to a slow start with a new staff in place. If we stuggle early and fall behind in the standings then we may indeed have a tough time selling tickets later in the season.

Marv and Co need to field a competitive product.

I thought the consensus was that "we" loved having the late season home games because of the winter weather in Buffalo; that it was a positive for us. Now the mentality is "we" don't want the home games late in the year because no one will come to those games.

As already stated, the bottom line is wins: if the team is winning, people will pay to see them play no matter what the weather is like.

I thought the consensus was that "we" loved having the late season home games because of the winter weather in Buffalo; that it was a positive for us. Now the mentality is "we" don't want the home games late in the year because no one will come to those games.

As already stated, the bottom line is wins: if the team is winning, people will pay to see them play no matter what the weather is like.

663248[/snapback]

It's a competitive advantage for the team, but a hardship for the fans sitting in the seats. They'll endure it for a playoff contender, but not an also-ran.

I don't believe there to be anything sinister about the schedule. I don't think the "vast right wing conspiracy" had anything to do with it.

On the other hand, for all the people who have recently posted ideas to the effect that the reason the BILLS will leave is; lack of support, not buying enough team products etc. etc., this late season will be the perfect time demonstrate that missing support.

Buy those tickets, attend the games and start driving Toyota products because if we come up a few seats short of a sell-out, Toyota seems to be one of the few corporate sponsors who will step up and make a near capacity game a sell-out.

The 1st few posters don't get it.  People are less inclined to go to games towards the end of the season due to the uncertainty of the weather.  Add that fact to the Bills attempt to be a regional franchise & it multiplies multi-fold because now it's not just the cold but the gameday travel conditions for out of town fans like me. 

It may be a nice schedule for the "TV Fans", but for the "Stadium Fans"  especially the ones who travel to get to the games, it's real bad news.

663201[/snapback]

I understand your point as many season ticket holders or frequent game attendees will have a hard time making all those games around the holidays and only 3 before November.

BUT, if they are .500 going into Jax and NE or Miami aren't running away with it (okay I admit they are huge IFs) then they set up well for potential W's and very good attendence as well, especially if they somehow get to 6-5 in the Jax game.

I think Felser is off base with this one too. It's not like this is the first time it's happened.

There are 5 Sundays in December this year. That's almost 1/3 of the schedule. We've got three home games in December, which is about 1/3 of the schedule.

I think the Thanksgiving weekend and the Christmas Eve game will be sellouts. People will be home those weekends, visiting family, and they will want to see the Bills.

Would you have done so if they were playing Tennessee instead?

663621[/snapback]

I'm going to be in town for the holidays and I am definitely going to the Christmas Eve game. In fact on my way home, maybe I'll swing by Baltimore and catch that game too, if possible. With those two games and the Carolina preseason game, I may see them 3 times this year. That would be the most since I had season tix before I left.

The last Christmas Eve home game was in 1995 against Houston (now Tennessee). Todd Collins started his 1st game & the Stadium was clearing out by halftime. During the 2nd half the stadium got so empty that Petrino & I were able to move down to the 1st row of the club level (before they were premium seats) at the 50 yard line. Based on how fast the stadium emptied, a Christmas Eve game was not viewed as the December Place To Be in Buffalo.