Just Watched 1Q Buffalo/NE

I just re-watched the first quarter of Buffalo/NE from this past December(?). A couple comments.

1) As of this game, the bills were +40 in the first quarter, which led the league.

2) JP Losman had a nice bomb to Lee Evans. (Note: this is the game moulds was suspended). Evans was double teamed and ran past them.

3) JP seemed to make good decisions with the football (Most of the time). He knew where he was on the field all the time and was constantly throwing from the run.

4) JP had NOOO time (but we all knew this).

5) JP was jittery. Constantly running aronud, couldnt stand still etc.

It was interesting watching a game I already knew the outcome, but watching it specifically for individual performances.

I really think JP will be okay. He needs to take a deep breath, calm down just a tad and just relax. He has shown good skills, and (reasonably) good decision making, but he needs to stop rushing all the time. That said an upgraded OL (Are you listening Marv?) goes a long way, but I didnt need to see the game to tell me that.

I also think point #1 above is very very telling. How can we lead the league in first quarter point differential and wind up 5-11? I submit 2 options. 1) We were under conditioned and got very tired late in the game. and 2) We stuck our tails between our legs, went very conservative and beat ourselves alot. Its probably a combination of both. Hopefully our new Strength and conditioning coach knows what he is doing (i assume we have a new one anyway...), and letting Mularkey go does alot of for the play calling.

So, in retrospect, I think we will be okay. I have been thinking we are going for the #1 pick this year, and maybe if I take off my hot sauce stained glasses I would see it, but give JP some time and confidence and even without EM, I think he can succeed...BUT HE NEEDS AN OL.

Oh, and Willis man...what an ugly quarter. Guy couldnt see a hole if it was right in front of him. Granted the OL sucked (per usual), but he needs to cut outside if its not there. So many times in the quarter (too many because losman was pretty good), he tried to run into a non-existant hole when cutting outside would have gained 5-7 yards. I dont know how to correct this problem, other than a new OL to give him holes, but he needs to see this stuff or he is in trouble.

And one more thing...King was all over the field. Good quarter by him

I just re-watched the first quarter of Buffalo/NE from this past December(?).  A couple comments.

1) As of this game, the bills were +40 in the first quarter, which led the league.

2) JP Losman had a nice bomb to Lee Evans.  (Note: this is the game moulds was suspended).  Evans was double teamed and ran past them.

3) JP seemed to make good decisions with the football (Most of the time).  He knew where he was on the field all the time and was constantly throwing from the run.

4) JP had NOOO time (but we all knew this).

5) JP was jittery.  Constantly running aronud, couldnt stand still etc.

It was interesting watching a game I already knew the outcome, but watching it specifically for individual performances.

I really think JP will be okay.  He needs to take a deep breath, calm down just a tad and  just relax.  He has shown good skills, and (reasonably) good decision making, but he needs to stop rushing all the time.  That said an upgraded OL (Are you listening Marv?) goes a long way, but I didnt need to see the game to tell me that.

I also think point #1 above is very very telling.  How can we lead the league in first quarter point differential and wind up 5-11?  I submit 2 options.  1) We were under conditioned and got very tired late in the game.  and 2) We stuck our tails between our legs, went very conservative and beat ourselves alot.  Its probably a combination of both.  Hopefully our new Strength and conditioning coach knows what he is doing (i assume we have a new one anyway...), and letting Mularkey go does alot of for the play calling.

So, in retrospect, I think we will be okay.  I have been thinking we are going for the #1 pick this year, and maybe if I take off my hot sauce stained glasses I would see it, but give JP some time and confidence and even without EM, I think he can succeed...BUT HE NEEDS AN OL.

Oh, and Willis man...what an ugly quarter.  Guy couldnt see a hole if it was right in front of him.  Granted the OL sucked (per usual), but he needs to cut outside if its not there.  So many times in the quarter (too many because losman was pretty good), he tried to run into a non-existant hole when cutting outside would have gained 5-7 yards.  I dont know how to correct this problem, other than a new OL to give him holes, but he needs to see this stuff or he is in trouble.

And one more thing...King was all over the field.  Good quarter by him

660510[/snapback]

Awesome post, JimBob....feels good to talk a little game film. I really don't understand those who want to give up on JP. The kid is going to have a Drew Brees type of year, I can just feel it. That's assuming we get him a line. I just hope Fowler can provide us a bit more stability at the center position. I only saw a few games last year, but to me it seemed like the pocket (if you can even call it that) was collapsing from the inside more often than our tackles were getting beat outside. That's obviously going to kill your offense. I'd love to get Bunkley in here with Tripplett, finish revamping the left side of our line, get Willis going, and let JP do his thing.

MM was complaining about Willis not running strait ahead all last season. That he was doing to much dancing in the back field. I thought like you, that he didn't bounce it outside enough because there wasn't any holes up the middle. Thanks for the re-cap.

Granted I dont remember much about that game and dont have it on tape to watch it but from what I can vageuly remember other then that one throw to evans losman was downright horrible. I also remember tom brady had more rushing yards then our entire team and richard seymour absolutly owned us that game as a de, as an under and when he was playing nose. Seymour was a beast. That was one of the worst games for our oline imo, and truly exposed a huge weakness in the interior of our oline as the pats dline had them for breakfast.

Also forgot to add. For what it's worth I remember hearing stuff about how the bills practice indoors last season and then remember reading a post game quote from tom brady along the lines of "We love snow we practice outside in the cold and wet conditions in ne so we were prepared for the weather" and I just remember coming away thinking that the bills seemed compleltly out of their element for a cold weather team. They got owned in all phazes of the game.

I've posted before that the Bills had the best offense in the league for the first drive in the game, and the worst after that. This shows that they have the talent to score a lot of points, but poor play calling during the game.

Fairchild can come up with adjustments and good play calling during the game, and this offense will be just fine.

Granted I dont remember much about that game and dont have it on tape to watch it but from what I can vageuly remember other then that one throw to evans losman was downright horrible. I also remember tom brady had more rushing yards then our entire team and richard seymour absolutly owned us that game as a de, as an under and when he was playing nose.  Seymour was a beast.  That was one of the worst games for our oline imo, and truly exposed a huge weakness in the interior of our oline as the pats dline had them for breakfast.

Also forgot to add. For what it's worth I remember hearing stuff about how the bills practice indoors last season and then remember reading a post game quote from tom brady along the lines of "We love snow we practice outside in the cold and wet conditions in ne so we were prepared for the weather"  and I just remember coming away thinking that the bills seemed compleltly out of their element for a cold weather team.  They got owned in all phazes of the game.

660552[/snapback]

Dammit man, can we not just have one thread where we're looking at a few positives going into next season???? :rolleyes:

Ok Ok..... Josh Reeds td receptiption to avoid the shutuout was really nice.... there feel better?  :rolleyes:

660578[/snapback]

lol.....I'll take it

I also think point #1 above is very very telling.  How can we lead the league in first quarter point differential and wind up 5-11?

660510[/snapback]

You're more optimistic than myself in terms of why you think we sucked. By the end of the year it became clear to me that our coaching staff was only good enough to get their way out of the first quarter, and had absolutely no answer for adjustments of any kind. The Miami game really sealed it for me. We were great in the first quarter...and even the first half, sometimes...but our ability to adjust was about as inventive as bottled water. It was almost like the coaches thought that as long as they were ahead, they could win. This was very disappointing to me because I think (I have a very bad memory) as early as three years ago we were quite good at half-time adjustments.

Crazy. I really hoped Mularky could do it, and he may well do it somewhere else, but he didn't do it here.

You're more optimistic than myself in terms of why you think we sucked. By the end of the year it became clear to me that our coaching staff was only good enough to get their way out of the first quarter, and had absolutely no answer for adjustments of any kind. The Miami game really sealed it for me. We were great in the first quarter...and even the first half, sometimes...but our ability to adjust was about as inventive as bottled water. It was almost like the coaches thought that as long as they were ahead, they could win. This was very disappointing to me because I think (I have a very bad memory) as early as three years ago we were quite good at half-time adjustments.

Crazy. I really hoped Mularky could do it, and he may well do it somewhere else, but he didn't do it here.

660594[/snapback]

Actually in Mularkey's first year, not last year but the year before, we were amongst the best in the league in the third quarter after the halftime adjustments. We didnt give up one TD the entire year and only gave up a total of 12 points in the entire season I think.

Actually in Mularkey's first year, not last year but the year before, we were amongst the best in the league in the third quarter after the halftime adjustments. We didnt give up one TD the entire year and only gave up a total of 12 points in the entire season I think.

660625[/snapback]

Dick LeBeau can account for the D part at least.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Our biggest problem last year was coahing. It was miserable! Granted, the players need to play better and definitely we need to revamp the lines; but the single best thing we've done this off season was get a new front office and coaching staff. Even if we made no other changes, I'd feel optimistic.

We were great in the first quarter...and even the first half, sometimes...but our ability to adjust was about as inventive as bottled water. It was almost like the coaches thought that as long as they were ahead, they could win.

660594[/snapback]

GuessWhozBack21  Today, 07:43 PM  Also forgot to add. For what it's worth I remember hearing stuff about how the bills practice indoors last season and then remember reading a post game quote from tom brady along the lines of "We love snow we practice outside in the cold and wet conditions in ne so we were prepared for the weather" and I just remember coming away thinking that the bills seemed compleltly out of their element for a cold weather team. They got owned in all phazes of the game.

These things more than anything last year quickly turned me from a Mularkey believer to a Mularkey must go guy.

I was absolutely dumbfounded by our lack of being able to adjust either our offense or defense last year! How many games did we see the Bills start out strong (especially the first offensive drive at home), only to be beat down by the end of the 2nd quarter? Terrible adjustments, terrible conditioning...just terrible, terrible, terrible!

660594[/snapback]

I kept getting visions of our opponents coaches standing around chuckling while looking at the "complete idiots guide to coaching football" like on the waterboy..:P

MM was complaining about Willis not running strait ahead all last season. That he was doing to much dancing in the back field. I thought like you, that he didn't bounce it outside enough because there wasn't any holes up the middle. Thanks for the re-cap.

660547[/snapback]

Meathead. :P

MM, not you Mike.

I kept getting visions of our opponents coaches standing around chuckling while looking at the "complete idiots guide to coaching football" like on the waterboy..:P

660733[/snapback]

I sat 5 rows up behind their bench at that game, and there were a few times I thought I saw him chuckle a bit.

I also got to see Bruschi sitting on the bench too, I was amazed and humbled by getting to sit so close to a god. You could feel the energy from him throughout the stadium, I had to kneel and prey to him to have mercy on this team.

One thing that may help is the speed of our revamped WR crew. With spread formations and quick throws -- it should be easy to beat the blitz. Doing that just a couple of times a game for a big gain, should force opponents to back off, which should in turn open things up more for Willis.

In a way, I am glad that we start the season against NE. If they have a weakness on defense it is definitely their secondary. If the OL can manage to keep JP upright, I think the offense could be surprisngly good this year.

At least that's my story -- and I'm sticking to it!

I sat 5 rows up behind their bench at that game, and there were a few times I thought I saw him chuckle a bit.

I also got to see Bruschi sitting on the bench too, I was amazed and humbled by getting to sit so close to a god. You could feel the energy from him throughout the stadium, I had to kneel and prey to him to have mercy on this team.

660832[/snapback]

Predator or prey, Bruschi is on the hunt.