is it Legal to steal someones internet signal?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a felony.

Not necesarilly.

The guy was CHARGED with a felony (hell, girls are being charged with a felony for leaving cardboard boxes with question marks on them in a few places around the city), but he hasn't been convicted yet. I havn't seen an article stating whether the case has been dropped or what the situation is though.

Plus, that statute (probably) only affects Florida.

It's a very murky situation at this point. Personally, if the signal is unlocked and you're accessing it from a public location (or your own home), I don't see how it can be a crime. It's no different than if someone has a radio transmitter and you hear the signal. Now if you're cracking encryption, that's a different story altogether. But I can guarantee that in that case, it was an unsecured wireless connection.

Keep in mind that IANAL.

CW

This brings up an interesting point. I dont have a wireless router, but the apt either below or next to me has one. I can easily pick up their signal with my laptop. Its not secured, and theres no password/login. So if i were to connect my laptop to that network, they could charge me with a felony?

As Fez said, i can hear their radio, thats not illegal. I can go on the outside stairs and see their TV, thus seeing the broadcast, thats not illegal. So why is using their internet any different?

From the article, the guy was in his vehicle parked in front of the house, and then he tried to hide the fact that he was using the internet, like he was actively trying to swipe a connection. Thats a completely different situation from someone's network that broadcasts into my place of residence.

Edited by Ramius

This brings up an interesting point. I dont have a wireless router, but the apt  either below or next to me has one. I can easily pick up their signal with my laptop. Its not secured, and theres no password/login. So if i were to connect my laptop to that network, they could charge me with a felony?

As Fez said, i can hear their radio, thats not illegal. I can go on the outside stairs and see their TV, thus seeing the broadcast, thats not illegal. So why is using their internet any different?

From the article, the guy was in his vehicle parked in front of the house, and then he tried to hide the fact that he was using the internet, like he was actively trying to swipe a connection. Thats a completely different situation from someone's network that broadcasts into my place of residence.

652317[/snapback]

to me it's more like splicing into someone's cable and getting it for free...he's paying for it, you are not...it's stealing.

This brings up an interesting point. I dont have a wireless router, but the apt  either below or next to me has one. I can easily pick up their signal with my laptop. Its not secured, and theres no password/login. So if i were to connect my laptop to that network, they could charge me with a felony?

652317[/snapback]

The difference there is radio wave are free to anyone to receive. Transmission of a wireless signal belongs to an individual.

to me it's more like splicing into someone's cable and getting it for free...he's paying for it, you are not...it's stealing.

652327[/snapback]

I look at it like leaving garbage at the curb... If you aren't securing your signal... It is like leaving your junk at the curb for anyone to take and use.

If the insurance company finds out you unlocked your home or car and get robbed... Do they have to pay a claim?

I think that last scenario is the key...

The difference there is radio wave are free to anyone to receive.  Transmission of a wireless signal belongs to an individual.

652338[/snapback]

Yes... But, if you aren't securing it... Aren't you partially to blame?... I said partially.

If we don't hold the people ACCOUNTABLE for locking their crap up... What the hell is this world coming to... Why protect the meatheads.

You wouldn't leave $29.95 floating around in the air and then blame everybody but yourself when the thing comes up missing?

:):):lol:

I look at it like leaving garbage at the curb... If you aren't securing your signal... It is like leaving your junk at the curb for anyone to take and use.

If the insurance company finds out you unlocked your home or car and get robbed... Do they have to pay a claim?

652340[/snapback]

If someone enters your unlocked house and robs you is it a crime?

652340[/snapback]

Yes they do.

If someone enters your unlocked house and robs you is it a crime?

652347[/snapback]

Yes.

I made a bad point there...

I stick with the garbage analogy.

No if you are letting your sh*t drift into your neighbors yard... That is free game...

Not securing your connection is like saying I don't care... I am offering a free Wi-Fi hot spot... There are those around... Right...