Marv as Analyst

Remember the preseason games that Marv teamed to cover with Steve Tasker last year? That was just a few months ago, and at that time, he seemed somewhat complimentary of JP from an overall standpoint, if I recall correctly. (If anyone has copies of those games last season, please correct me if I am wrong.)

Not saying that means anything -- however, it could give us an early indication of his views on JP. Of course, I seem to recall TD siding with Flutie over RJ -- prior to taking the Bills' GM job, only to later say that that was his "media personna".

You have to learn not to take sports announcers as gospel. They are there to fill the empty spaces, that's all. Most keep their commentaries positive, especially when they are doing games for the home team.

Besides, that was pre-season. I assume Marv's opinion of JP was formed on his regular season performance.

PTR

I saw Marv and Tasker do the Packer game twice on NFL network. I was impressed because they spoke football and they knew what they were talking about. They did their homework and did not mispronounce names.

I would rather have them than "broadcasters" who talk about fashion, local restaurants, and their conversations with the coaches.

I watch football because I like it; not to hear idle chatter. I would much rather have Marv in the booth than Tony Korn Hoser. Marv knows what he is talking about.

Just wanted to get this off my chest and this seems like the appropriate thread.

Somewhere around week 5 while Marv was playing analyst on WGR every Monday or Tuesday, Simon asked him a question and his reply was that he hadn't seen the game.

So I thought, WTF? Why am I listening to you break down players you didn't even watch? I stopped listening to his show from that point on.

Thanks I feel better now. :doh:

I found a video tape of that game (Bills/Packers 8/20/05). You are correct, Marv had some nice things to say about Losman's performance, but warned a few times, that he was still very raw....

What I found more interesting, however, was watching Craig Nall in the second half. While the Packers didn't score, Nall made a couple of really nice, hard throws, in the middle of the field, granted, against the scrubbiest of the Bills scrubs. He was actually pretty impressive, albeit pre-season. If you recall, in that particular game, the Bills defense was blitzing on nearly every down. Nall hung in the pocket pretty well, and made some plays. No happy feet! I wonder if Marv had this game in mind, when he went after Nall...

What I found more interesting, however, was watching Craig Nall in the second half.  While the Packers didn't score, Nall made a couple of really nice, hard throws, in the middle of the field, granted, against the scrubbiest of the Bills scrubs.  He was actually pretty impressive, albeit pre-season. If you recall, in that particular game, the Bills defense was blitzing on nearly every down.  Nall hung in the pocket  pretty well, and made some plays.  No happy feet!  I wonder if Marv had this game in mind, when he went after Nall...

650961[/snapback]

Problem is, just as you pointed out, Nall was playing against 2nd and 3rd stringers. Here's a season progression for the Bills....

Training Camp - "Book your rooms now for the SuperBowl, this team is great!"

Pre-Season - "It's pre-season, so in 1-4 weeks these games won't matter"

1st 3 games of the season - "They're still working out the quirks"

Game 4 and on - "Who are we drafting in April"

Problem is, just as you pointed out, Nall was playing against 2nd and 3rd stringers. Here's a season progression for the Bills....

Training Camp - "Book your rooms now for the SuperBowl, this team is great!"

Pre-Season - "It's pre-season, so in 1-4 weeks these games won't matter"

1st 3 games of the season - "They're still working out the quirks"

Game 4 and on - "Who are we drafting in April"

650965[/snapback]

Yeah, and then there is that too.... :w00t:

You gotta have dreams, or all you have is nightmares!

Remember the preseason games that Marv teamed to cover with Steve Tasker last year? That was just a few months ago, and at that time, he seemed somewhat complimentary of JP from an overall standpoint, if I recall correctly. (If anyone has copies of those games last season, please correct me if I am wrong.)

Not saying that means anything -- however, it could give us an early indication of his views on JP. Of course, I seem to recall TD siding with Flutie over RJ -- prior to taking the Bills' GM job, only to later say that that was his "media personna".

650153[/snapback]

What said in front of thousands of people on live television and what said in private are two different things.

I found a video tape of that game (Bills/Packers 8/20/05).  You are correct, Marv had some nice things to say about Losman's performance, but warned a few times, that he was still very raw....

What I found more interesting, however, was watching Craig Nall in the second half.  While the Packers didn't score, Nall made a couple of really nice, hard throws, in the middle of the field, granted, against the scrubbiest of the Bills scrubs.  He was actually pretty impressive, albeit pre-season. If you recall, in that particular game, the Bills defense was blitzing on nearly every down.  Nall hung in the pocket  pretty well, and made some plays.  No happy feet!  I wonder if Marv had this game in mind, when he went after Nall...

650961[/snapback]

One other issue that might go against JP is how much Marv values Van Millers thoughts...If I remeber Nick (From England) mentioning that Miller kept bitching in the PressBox about how JP is very inaccurate QB....If Marv values opinions like that then JP is really going to be in the dog house....

Again, my question is where is Juron's voice in all this ?