5th rounder to GB for Javon Walker?

As per ESPN and The Milwaukee Journal Sentinal:

The Packers opened their offseason workout program this week, but Walker was missing in action, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports. The wide receiver has reportedly ired a real-estate agent and will have his Green Bay home up for sale very soon.

Walker has made it clear that he has no desire to ever play another game for Green Bay. Even if the Packers were to offer Walker a lucrative contract, he would not consider returning.

"If I had to go back there, I'd retire," Walker told ESPN.com's Michael Smith. "I don't have to play. I really have no interest in being in a Green Bay Packers uniform or playing for Green Bay again."

The Packers have expressed disappointment with Walker's stance and have thus far denied his request for a trade. The club issued a statement that read, in part:

"During his time as a Green Bay Packer, Javon Walker has been well thought of by everyone here. I like Javon, certainly as a person and as a player. That said, Javon is under contract ... and we expect him to honor it ... I don't anticipate us making any concessions in this matter."

Walker is entering the final year of a five-year, $6.7 million contract. He underwent reconstructive knee surgery Oct. 7 in Houston to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament and torn meniscus cartilage.

Because Walker is damaged goods, the Packers might be fortunate to get even a mid- to late-round pick in return. However, his base salary of $650,000 would be attractive for any team.

I'd be willing to take a chance on Walker for a 5th rounder and a conditional pick in 07, especially given the lack of WRs in FA and the draft. With Moulds wanting out we're going to need to do something to take the coverage off Lee Evans and hopefully a fully recovered Walker could do just that.

I'd be willing to take a chance on Walker for a 5th rounder and a conditional pick in 07, especially given the lack of WRs in FA and the draft.  With Moulds wanting out we're going to need to do something to take the coverage off Lee Evans and hopefully a fully recovered Walker could do just that.

640776[/snapback]

I'd package Josh Reed and a conditional pick to acquire Walker. Unless of course the Pack wants a pick this year, then I say Reed and a 4th.

This topic came up a few weeks back and I'd still offer the Packers a trade of Moulds for Walker.  Neither one wants to play for their current team.

640828[/snapback]

I'll hold steady and say i'd give up EM and 1 of our thirds for Walker. the guy is a game breaker. With him at even 80% of what he was pre-injury, and Lee, we'd have a hell of a wideout tandem for the next 10 years.

I'll hold steady and say i'd give up EM and 1 of our thirds for Walker. the guy is a game breaker. With him at even 80% of what he was pre-injury, and Lee, we'd have a hell of a wideout tandem for the next 10 years.

640847[/snapback]

Looks like it wasn't just Walker's agent filling the diapers, eh? :lol:

I think that Walker, if traded, would expect to redo his contract immediately with his new team. I think that he would hold out this year considering what happened to him last year.

That being said, does anyone know when he is expected to return close to 100%? I would worry that he wouldn't be truly ready to go by the start of the regular season.

If he would be ready by pre season I would consider Walker and a conditional for Moulds.

edit: the reason I say walker and a conditional is because nobody knows if he will come back close to 100%.

640847[/snapback]

Hell yeah I agree.

Unfortunatley, :

I think that Walker, if traded, would expect to redo his contract immediately with his new team. I think that he would hold out this year considering what happened to him last year.

640847[/snapback]

And that's what will keep Moulds from getting traded, his sticking to his current contract/salary.

Hell yeah I agree.

Unfortunatley, :

And that's what will keep Moulds from getting traded, his sticking to his current contract/salary.

640854[/snapback]

New deals often get done in order to make the trade possible. If Moulds REALLY wants out of Buffalo he may be willing to restructure for the trade. (If he gets cut and signs somewhere else, his deal will automatically be "restructured" as it will be a breand new deal and highly unlikely to be the same as his old deal.)

He has 1 yr left on his deal. BEST case scenario, he plays lights-out and we lose him.

Actually that's ONE scenario. Best case, he signs a new multi-year deal to accomodate the trade.

Looks like it wasn't just Walker's agent filling the diapers, eh?

A difference between Walker and Moulds is, all of the extreme ("I won't play") talk is coming from Moulds' reps, but from Walker himself.

The Walker situation is an interesting one, because he was also a hold-out last year. He returned after the Packers made their stand, which included having Favre call Walker out publicly. Of course, soon thereafter, he blew out his knee. While intriguing, I'd want the following questions answered prior to even considering giving up a pick for him...

1. Is he healthy? If he is at least close to his 2004 form, Walker would instantly improve our WR corps. The dude is the total package of size and speed -- and would be a welcome addition to a roster of mostly under-sized WRs.

2. Is this hold-out threat two years in a row going to be a pattern for him? Maybe last year was understandable, as he was coming off a Pro Bowl caliber season. However, he missed virtually all of last season with his injury, so his leverage is nil now.

3. As this is the final year of his existing contract, is he up for negociating a long-term deal? (Of course, this is also contigent upon his health.)

Once those questions are answered then I'd be willing to talk about compensation in terms of a trade.

This topic came up a few weeks back and I'd still offer the Packers a trade of Moulds for Walker.  Neither one wants to play for their current team.

640828[/snapback]

I would take that in a heartbeat. I am not sure the extent of Walker's injury, but when healthy, he was the best receiver the Packers have had in ages. I think he was a notch above any of their other guys. Eric is a quite a bit older. I would trade a 4th rd pick, or Moulds for him...git 'er done TD! :blush:

On second thought, Marv is clearly stayin away from the Walker types, those cuasing problems for their current teams. I think Marv understands the Bills team he took over has serious lockeroom, motivation and morale problems. He is seemingly aiming at fixing that situation first thing.

As a Packer fan I think a straight up trade would shut both players up. I think it is a good deal because:

1) Walker got an 8 on his Wonderlic score. He knows only one WR position after 4 years. He would take much time to learn the offense.

2) In 4 years he has 2444 yards.

3) Last year he tore his ACL.

4) He is on his 3rd agent in three years. Rosenhaus was fired. After he got a 1000 yards for his only time in 04 season he wanted to renegotiate his rookie contract.

5) He has had only one good season and that was when 2 other receivers were injured.

Be careful what you wish for it can happen. The Packers would like Walker to shut up and play but since the end of the 2004 season he thinks he can just tear up his contract.