Arizona not so smart with Wells

'The contract is for five years and $17.6 million, ESPN.com reported, including a $3 million signing bonus and a $2 million guaranteed roster bonus. It would be a hefty raise over the “low” $712,000 tender offer the Cards gave Wells, when a tender of $1.55 million would have cost the Bills a first-round pick to go after Wells.'

PTR

They obviously never thought anybody in their right mind would offer him $1.55m per year.

It remains to be seen if they're correct. Err, it remains to be seen if they'll match the more-than-generous offer Marv put on the table.

'The contract is for five years and $17.6 million, ESPN.com reported, including a $3 million signing bonus and a $2 million guaranteed roster bonus. It would be a hefty raise over the “low” $712,000 tender offer the Cards gave Wells, when a tender of $1.55 million would have cost the Bills a first-round pick to go after Wells.'

PTR

634574[/snapback]

Its hard to imagine anyone giving up a 1st round picks for Wells......

All Arizona has to do is match the offer and they don't lose Wells. No harm, no foul. The only question now is if the Bills think that Wells is worth more than the Cardinals think Wells is worth.

But suffice to say that Buffalo never, ever, makes the offer if a 1st round pick is on the line.

JDG

PTR

634574[/snapback]

You can't seriously believe that the Bills would have even called Wells if he warranted 1st round compensation.

:devil:

You can't seriously believe that the Bills would have even called Wells if he warranted 1st round compensation.

634603[/snapback]

What i think he's saying is that they could have protected him more, not that they would ever get a pick.

Sorry I made a mistake Mr. Friendly.  I'll try never to do it again.

634634[/snapback]

I think what I was TRYING to say, was thank you for jumping in to contradict me without reading the subject line. It is hillarious that someone actually thinks Marv would be dumb enough to cough up a 1st round pick for a marginal starting guard who finished the season on IR though. Or is it just me.

They signed him to an offer sheet which Arizona has a week to match.  If they don't match it he's a Bill.

634651[/snapback]

...and the Bills give up a sixth round pick.

And if they do match, then they blew a bunch of money, as they would have clearly had no trouble keeping him for another year with the higher tender...

I think what I was TRYING to say, was thank you for jumping in to contradict me without reading the subject line.  It is hillarious that someone actually thinks Marv would be dumb enough to cough up a 1st round pick for a marginal starting guard who finished the season on IR though.  Or is it just me. 

634638[/snapback]

FWIW, I wasn't "jumping in to try to contradict you". I missed the second line of the subject (you know, the one in the 4 point font). Sorry. I was (incorrectly) interpreting his post.

Although I will make every effort on your behalf to never make another mistake as long as I live, it is possible that it could happen. If it does happen, you can rest assured that I am not simply "jumping in to try to contradict you". I really have no reason to do that.

They obviously never thought anybody in their right mind would offer him $1.55m per year.

It remains to be seen if they're correct. Err, it remains to be seen if they'll match the more-than-generous offer Marv put on the table.

634583[/snapback]

This is exciting! A battle of wits between the Arizona Cards and the Bills.

I am not sure who to root for in this battle. My guess is the only winner will be Wells.

Today's Arizona Repubic:

The Cardinals likely will match Buffalo's tender offer to guard Reggie Wells, a restricted free agent, Graves said. The Bills signed Wells to the offer sheet Friday, and the Cardinals have a week to match.

Cardinals officials will meet early this week to make a final determination, but Graves said he expects the club will keep Wells.

"Our position all along is we wanted to keep Reggie," he said, "and I think that's probably what we'll do."

The five-year contract includes a signing bonus of $3 million and a roster bonus of $2 million. The total value is believed to be between $16 million and $17 million. Wells, who will be entering his fourth season, is the starting left guard.

Can we offer to up our draft pick to like a 4th or 5th rounder if they choose not to match the offer?

635284[/snapback]

Do you mean if they match? If they don't, why whould you up the offer?

That said, there's no way a 4th or 5th changes anything, especially after they just signed Edge. It was a nice try on Marv's part, but the Cards have to bite the bullet on Wells.

Can we offer to up our draft pick to like a 4th or 5th rounder if they choose not to match the offer?

635284[/snapback]

If they choose not to match the offer we need to give them our 6th. However there's no reason we can't trade something different for him See the 49ers getting a 3rd and 4th for Brandon Lloyd from the Redskins.