"Buffalo Wings"

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting antsy? That happens. Sometimes we all need a change. I'm looking at Southern France, for a while. My conservative friends would call me a traitor. Those nasty French people suck. Got a line on southern Greece too, through a Polish connection believe it or not. Nobody is bitching about them yet. Better watch out for them Polish people. They might want to run our ports or something.

Us Polacks are pretty savvy.

634053[/snapback]

One of the best trips I ever made was to the south of France. Small villages is the best way to go. Great people, great food, great wine

Glad it doesn't bother you what either of us think. Greece is actually pretty cool. If you know the right people.

I need a change. I'm mostly talking to myself, not you.

634117[/snapback]

I Love Greece..I def would like to go back there someday...

Hmmm...cool!  I remember that next time I'm there.  B-)  I will be going back soon.  I gotta go try those garbage plates you guys keep talking about too.  They sound.....interesting.  :lol:

634189[/snapback]

While doing your WNY culinary tour, don't forget the Beef on Weck!

Hmmm...cool!  I remember that next time I'm there.  B-)  I will be going back soon.  I gotta go try those garbage plates you guys keep talking about too.  They sound.....interesting.  :lol:

634189[/snapback]

Remember, garbage plates are Ra-cha-cha drunk food. Super Mighties are Bufflo drunk food.

Wings are just good any time, in either locale.

I'm from Rochester and have no idea what that is, although I've heard it referenced.

634330[/snapback]

It's a Buffalo thing, just like garbage plates are a Rochester thing. I've only found one place in Roch that served great beef on weck and they went out of business.

Hmmm...cool!  I remember that next time I'm there.  :)  I will be going back soon.  I gotta go try those garbage plates you guys keep talking about too.  They sound.....interesting.  :devil:

634189[/snapback]

I just can't bring myself to try one of those... They look painful. ;)

CW

It's a Buffalo thing, just like garbage plates are a Rochester thing. I've only found one place in Roch that served great beef on weck and they went out of business.

634347[/snapback]

One question, what's a weck? :devil:

I just can't bring myself to try one of those...  They look painful. :devil:

CW

634403[/snapback]

Garbage plates are surely the drunk man's (or woman's) delight. Sober they are good but under the influence, they are simply superb. ;)

One question, what's a weck?  :devil:

634406[/snapback]

It's basically a roast beef sandwich on a kimmelweck roll (a roll with caraway seeds). I hate the flavor of the kimmelweck rolls, but lots of people love 'em.

CW

What are you- sick or something? :devil:

In Organic Chem class, one of the lab experiments wsa to distill the oil out of caraway seeds. The whole lab smelled like a warehouse of weck rolls. Yum!!!!

It's basically a roast beef sandwich on a kimmelweck roll (a roll with caraway seeds).  I hate the flavor of the kimmelweck rolls, but lots of people love 'em.

CW

634410[/snapback]

The rolls are also salted, and you can't forget to slather everything with a hearty dose of horseradish.

Done correctly, the beef on weck is a heluva sandwich!

It's basically a roast beef sandwich on a kimmelweck roll (a roll with caraway seeds).  I hate the flavor of the kimmelweck rolls, but lots of people love 'em.

CW

634410[/snapback]

When I was a little kid, growing up in Hamburg NY, and the child of south Buffalo natives, we always had Friday night dinners at the Cloverbank Hotel on Lakeshore Road. It was a local pub, and people took the family there. By mutual choice, Dad's hung out in the bar area, and the Mom's and kids hung out in the restaurant section. It was the social watering whole. :devil:

Back then beef on Weck was a roast beef and gravy sandwich. Beef on Kimmelweck was the seeded salty roll.

Fish fry take-out dinners were wrapped in newspaper and the shrimp in a basket was HUGE!

We did not know what Buffalo wings were (late 50's) - when did the Anchor Bar "invent" them?

I just can't bring myself to try one of those...  They look painful. ;)

CW

634403[/snapback]

You gotta put the look out of your mind....focus on the smell....and of course, the absolutely GLORIOUS taste......just as your coming down off your buzz, there is your garbage plate....like your own little security blanket....to comfort you and put you at ease.....ahhhhhhhh......mmmmmmmmmmmmm.....garbage plates....... :devil:

Well I would say about 90% of the people cooking Buffalo wings seeing as they are rarely as crispy as they should be.  Oh and BTW, the line was VERY hot oil.

634246[/snapback]

So, how do you compensate? 400 degrees and about 15 minutes with partly frozen?

Fish fry take-out dinners were wrapped in newspaper and the shrimp in a basket was HUGE!

634458[/snapback]

Man, that's one of the thigns I miss the most.....Friday fish fry.....nice big portion of fish, lots of tartar sauce, and a HUGE helping of mashed potatoes......yummy :devil:

So, how do you compensate? 400 degrees and about 15 minutes with partly frozen?

634639[/snapback]

Yes, 400 degrees as opposed to the normal fryer temp of 350. However the time? Standard professional chef answer....until they're done. :devil: