"Buffalo Wings"

Regarding weck: when the Buffalo Wild Wings chain started, it was actually BW3 ("Wild Wings and Weck"). My dad went to the one in Muncie, IN to check it out; their version appeared to be Steak-umms on a salted hamburger roll (no caraway seeds). And when he asked for horseradish, the waitress stared at him for a few seconds and then asked, "You're not from around here, are you?"

:devil:

I believe they dropped the weck attempt shortly thereafter...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, 400 degrees as opposed to the normal fryer temp of 350.  However the time?  Standard professional chef answer....until they're done.  :devil:

634803[/snapback]

Switching to 400 was the key for me. I always let them go at least 20 minutes before testing if they "sound" right.

Also, I have my best luck with keeping the sauce from being too runny when I start making it shortly after starting to heat the oil and keeping it covered on low heat until the wings are done. I still don't seem to time making the 2nd and 3rd batch of sauce properly though. If I might ask, Chef, do you have any tips to avoid "wing soup"?

Switching to 400 was the key for me.  I always let them go at least 20 minutes before testing if they "sound" right.

Also, I have my best luck with keeping the sauce from being too runny when I start making it shortly after starting to heat the oil and keeping it covered on low heat until the wings are done.  I still don't seem to time making the 2nd and 3rd batch of sauce properly though.  If I might ask, Chef, do you have any tips to avoid "wing soup"?

634839[/snapback]

I go by "sound" too. I was using 375 in a deep fryer. I'm wary of doing semi-frozen because I don't have the professional skills and when I've tried that before the meat was tough. Not overdone, but tough.

As for sauce, something I didn't put in my recipe was a new batch of sauce for each batch of wings. I've never found the right temp to keep it from breaking up. Sauces break up easy. I'd think too much heat, but it doesn't work letting it get too cold, either.

And Chef just told us to screw ourselves, whaddaya gonna do?

Regarding weck: when the Buffalo Wild Wings chain started, it was actually BW3 ("Wild Wings and Weck"). My dad went to the one in Muncie, IN to check it out; their version appeared to be Steak-umms on a salted hamburger roll (no caraway seeds). And when he asked for horseradish, the waitress stared at him for a few seconds and then asked, "You're not from around here, are you?"

:P

I believe they dropped the weck attempt shortly thereafter...

634806[/snapback]

I still call the place BW3 - old habit. I never ordered the Beef on Weck to know if it was authentic or not. The wings are usually hit or miss (more often miss). The last time we went there, I swear they took the wings off of 2 week old chickadees. :lol:

CW