Most of our FA signings are built for speed.

Matt Bowen is considered one of the faster safeties in football. The Bills signed him for his speed and ability to fly down the field. Andre Davis has size and speed. He's 6-foot-1 and 195 pounds and ran the 40-yard dash in 4.37 seconds coming out of Virginia Tech. That's as fast as what Lee Evans runs. Davis was the Browns' second-round draft pick in 2002, taken 11 spots after Josh Reed. The Patriots acquired him from Cleveland for a fifth-round draft choice last August. Larry Tripplett is a smaller, quicker, penetrating lineman suited to the one-gap style used by Colts coach Tony Dungy. That's precisely the defense the Bills are adopting under new head coach Dick Jauron and defensive coordinator Perry Fewell.

In addition we have Everett, who if stays healthy, could be a big time pass catching TE. Lee Evans is a burner who now has great experience. It would be great to be able to retain Eric Moulds but only if he has a good attitude otherwise it would be time for him to go. Now if MaGahee can shut his mouth, stay healthy and perform like we all know how he can and with our young D-Line and our solid CBs, this line-up is really starting to look formidable.

Obviously we need to pay attention to our O-Line and I think we are and will. I'm also starting to be concern with our LBs. Spikes took a serious injury, Posey has never has been outstanding and is aging and Fletcher is getting up there in age also. Crowell hopefully will be a bright spot in this position. I would like to see some kind of infusion in this area if we can. Last but not least is our QB situation. I won't comment here other than to say that it would be quite a blessing if JP could come with a solid performance this year. This would make a huge difference for everybody.

One last aspect that I would like to mention. People can say what they will but from all the early reports on Jauron he seems to be a class act and who players really respect and play for. I think with a 16 game season it's more than being lucky to win Coach of the Year like he did in 2001.

I think this time I like that we're not getting any respect or high expectations. We have no pressure to be at any lofty goals. Underdogs seem to have more motivation than favorites. With more speed, focus, motivation and hopefully team chemistry this makes a very dangerous trap for teams who will be overlooking us. I hope that we are all in for a very pleasant surprise this year. Good luck to our favorite team-the 2006 Buffalo Bills!

One last observation. I failed to mention that we do have the BEST STs in the league. With Moorman booming the ball for great field position and awesome punt/kick returners, we have a great advantage for our newly vamped defense. It makes it so much easier to play from ahead than from behind when it comes to field position. This only makes it more effective to control opposing offenses with our speed defense. Speed should always be the first priority and I think that's exactly what Marv is accomplishing.

In addition we have Everett, who if stays healthy, could be a big time pass catching TE. Lee Evans is a burner who now has great experience. It would be great to be able to retain Eric Moulds but only if he has a good attitude otherwise it would be time for him to go. Now if MaGahee can shut his mouth, stay healthy and perform like we all know how he can and with our young D-Line and our solid CBs, this line-up is really starting to look formidable.

I didn't know our dline and solid cb's could open up holes for mcgahee to run through. :D

If we can get some solid linemen Mcgahee will be able to talk as much trash as he pleases. To run the offense Fairchild is going to run I'm assuming it's a version of the air coryell system which will rely on speed at skill positions, and solid linemen. Hopefully he runs it more like Al Saunders and less like Mike Martz. My guess is he'll be more run oriented as he's stated he wants to this to be a run based offense with big play potential. The way Saunders ran it it was a haven for runningbacks, so we'll see. Lee Evans in that system has the potential to be a star. I have high hopes for everett. I liked him coming out last year, but it's another wait and see.

Free Agency is far from over, and the draft isn't for another month, so we have no idea how this team will be shaped up by then. I doubt highly what we see now is what we'll get. It's good every once in awhile to read a post like yours minus all the pessimism. One of my biggest complaints the last few years about this team is that other then a few people we lacked team speed, we seem to be acquiring that now. So far so good, but theres a long way to go yet.

I think that there is three components that is being overlooked. It seems that Marv is truly assembling speed, character, and chemistry. I don't think that there is any kind of measuring device that determine what these last two qualities can equate to. I know that New England parlayed a bunch of no-names and seasoned veterans into championship teams. Maybe it can be our turn. Matter of fact there is suddenly an eerily similiar blueprint going on in Buffalo. By no means are we able to compare ourselves to them at this time but this might be the beginning of good things to come. We even have a coach who, on paper, have a very similiar parallel to Belichek's previous coaching history. He found great success on his second time around. Can we be as fortunate?

Nice takes, Tipster....I think that superior team speed can overcome a WHOLE lot of shortcomings. I don't know how I feel about these free agent signings thus far, but I remain optomistic. I like the fact that Modrak is still around, cause I think Modrak/Levy is far superior than just Levy alone. If they feel strongly enough about these players, then I'm with 'em. I, for one, would love to see our overall team speed on defense go through the roof, while having the offensive focus on a smash mouth running attack. They've been saying it for YEARS now, so it would really be nice it if came to fruition.

I think the most vital area on offense to have speed pertains to the QB's brain. That's why we failed with Bledsoe, IMO. JP is lightening quick with his set-up, and with a little more experience I think the same will be able to be said about his decision making and delivery.

My take on the Andre Davis pickup was to use that speed to stop teams from crowding the line. Josh Reed, Moulds, Aiken, Campell cannot run by anyone. Davis, Evans and Roscoe can stretch the field. Now getting them the ball is another issue.

The Sabres were picked to finish 25th.  No big names, but lots of team speed and toughness.  Maybe Marv is copying the Sabres more than the Patriots.

PTR

633079[/snapback]

The new name of the 2006 Bills.

The Lunch Bucket Gang.

We're going to the Super Bowl with blue collar dudes on baloney sandwiches.

Matt Bowen is considered one of the faster safeties in football. The Bills signed him for his speed and ability to fly down the field. Andre Davis has size and speed. He's 6-foot-1 and 195 pounds and ran the 40-yard dash in 4.37 seconds coming out of Virginia Tech. That's as fast as what Lee Evans runs. Davis was the Browns' second-round draft pick in 2002, taken 11 spots after Josh Reed. The Patriots acquired him from Cleveland for a fifth-round draft choice last August. Larry Tripplett is a smaller, quicker, penetrating lineman suited to the one-gap style used by Colts coach Tony Dungy. That's precisely the defense the Bills are adopting under new head coach Dick Jauron and defensive coordinator Perry Fewell.

Obviously we need to pay attention to our O-Line and I think we are and will. I'm also starting to be concern with our LBs. Spikes took a serious injury, Posey has never has been outstanding and is aging and Fletcher is getting up there in age also. Crowell hopefully will be a bright spot in this position. I would like to see some kind of infusion in this area if we can. Last but not least is our QB situation. I won't comment here other than to say that it would be quite a blessing if JP could come with a solid performance this year. This would make a huge difference for everybody.

One last aspect that I would like to mention. People can say what they will but from all the early reports on Jauron he seems to be a class act and who players really respect and play for. I think with a 16 game season it's more than being lucky to win Coach of the Year like he did in 2001.

I think this time I like that we're not getting any respect or high expectations. We have no pressure to be at any lofty goals. Underdogs seem to have more motivation than favorites. With more speed, focus, motivation and hopefully team chemistry this makes a very dangerous trap for teams who will be overlooking us. I hope that we are all in for a very pleasant surprise this year. Good luck to our favorite team-the 2006 Buffalo Bills!

633056[/snapback]

LOL. Under-rated? Ummm no.

The Sabres were picked to finish 25th.  No big names, but lots of team speed and toughness.  Maybe Marv is copying the Sabres more than the Patriots.

PTR

633079[/snapback]

If the Bills sign Chris Drury then i'd be happy

well,

i like the move on D. our D was great against Carolina last year using a poor man's cover 2 (only team to shut down smith).

the move to cover 2 and getting the new quicker guy to replace milloy lets us take advantage of the best thing about our D -- the super fast secondary.

if we nab 2 more DTs by the end of the draft I will be pretty happy about our chances at a top 10 D (assuming spikes is back).

we have no downgrades at Oline and our skill positino situation is better than last year.

i think we will be better than last year fo sho

PTR

633079[/snapback]

Marv has a plan no doubt, but Marv is not copying anbody. He is doing what he can within the constraints he has. He is going to turn this thing around but it won't happen in just one off season.

I love the Promo gig by the way :D

... this line-up is really starting to look formidable.

633056[/snapback]

I never dreamed that anybody- even the biggest homer- could look at the current Bills roster and believe the above.

I think you have officially transcended homer-ism and moved right to delusional.