I say overpay for Pickett

We have a bunch of money. There is ZERO way of knowing for sure if this guy is going to be a 3 or 4 or 5 million a year player. It's impossible to know that. What we do know is that we have money and we have a bunch of holes to fill. If we know we have Triplett lined up next to Pickett, with Anderson in the rotation, suddenly the linebackers are going to be a little better. And the only gaping hole on defense may be at safety, which is usually cheap to fill.

This would allow us to make some moves at OL, and allow us to draft a Vernon Davis or Huff. I really think some times you need to spend a little bit more money than you want, or you think a guy is worth, to be able to make some other moves. This would solve a big problem for us, probably the biggest problem in the entire 2005 problempalooza, our inability to stop the run on first and second down.

We have a bunch of money. There is ZERO way of knowing for sure if this guy is going to be a 3 or 4 or 5 million a year player. It's impossible to know that. What we do know is that we have money and we have a bunch of holes to fill. If we know we have Triplett lined up next to Pickett, with Anderson in the rotation, suddenly the linebackers are going to be a little better. And the only gaping hole on defense may be at safety, which is usually cheap to fill.

This would allow us to make some moves at OL, and allow us to draft a Vernon Davis or Huff. I really think some times you need to spend a little bit more money than you want, or you think a guy is worth, to be able to make some other moves. This would solve a big problem for us, probably the biggest problem in the entire 2005 problempalooza, our inabaility to stop the run on first and second down.

629771[/snapback]

Agreed, Pickett in the middle shores up the DT spots without having to use a draft pick on them. I'd argue that there would still be three glaring holes on D though, DE, SS, and FS. Granted, you can't have all pros at every position but all three of these spots could use upgrades in order to get them into the "average" category.

This would allow us to make some moves at OL, and allow us to draft a Vernon Davis or Huff.

629771[/snapback]

Not to be a wiseass KTD, but would you mind briefing us on what "moves" the Bills could make that would allow us to draft a Safety or a TE at #8?

C'mon Bro, we are WEAK! We need big, strong players to win football games. If Davis has the talent to be the next Kellen Winslow Sr., it wouldn't matter so much to us. He would flounder away while our qb is on the turf, bleeding and battered. Huff will be rendered useless if we are 3 and out on offense.

Sorry, these are probably the very last players we need. I don't care if we must trade up, down, or stay put. The Bills need players to block and tackle. We have enough "flash." It isn't working. :(

Not to be a wiseass KTD, but would you mind briefing us on what "moves" the Bills could make that would allow us to draft a Safety or a TE at #8?

C'mon Bro, we are WEAK! We need big, strong players to win football games. If Davis has the talent to be the next Kellen Winslow Sr., it wouldn't matter so much to us. He would flounder away while our qb is on the turf, bleeding and battered. Huff will be rendered useless if we are 3 and out on offense.

Sorry, these are probably the very last players we need. I don't care if we must trade up, down, or stay put. The Bills need players to block and tackle. We have enough "flash." It isn't working.  :(

629798[/snapback]

Runyan and Toniu Fonoti. Spencer or one of the other good guards in round two.

629809[/snapback]

I believe Fonoti signed with the Raiders, as far as Overpaying for pickett I have to disagree. If we're gonna overpay for a dt I'd rather it be rocky bernard. Bernard is quickly establishing himself as a great defensive tackle, where as pickett just isnt at that level, and I doubt he ever will be. Bernard/Triplett would be a much better tandem then pickett/triplett.

629809[/snapback]

One is old, and they both have health issues, no?

Don't get me wrong....they would probably still constitute an improvement, but not for the long term (at least not Runyan).

There are some damn good tackles and guards in this draft, or so they say.

One is old, and they both have health issues, no?

Don't get me wrong....they would probably still constitute an improvement, but not for the long term (at least not Runyan).

There are some damn good tackles and guards in this draft, or so they say.

629821[/snapback]

You cannot look past two years, IMO. Runyan would be that player, good for two years. I think we can sign a decent guard to start, and then have Anderson and Gandy and #2 picks as back-ups. With three decent tough veterans, Peters, Preston at C, and a blocking TE, we could probably move the ball. It wouldnt solve our decade long problem on the OL, but there simply is not a OL I would draft at #8.

Okay, William.  Once again:  considering Ferguson will be off the board by the 8th pick, which lineman do you take if you stay there?  If you move down, who do you trade w/ and what player do you target?

629828[/snapback]

Trade down to 11 or 12 and take winston justice? Not saying thats what I'd do I'd personally take Bunkley but if we're gonna take a linemen in the top 15 thats the guy other then brick.

I believe Fonoti signed with the Raiders, as far as Overpaying for pickett I have to disagree.  If we're gonna overpay for a dt  I'd rather it be rocky bernard.  Bernard is quickly establishing himself as a great defensive tackle, where as pickett just isnt at that level, and I doubt he ever will be.  Bernard/Triplett would be a much better tandem then pickett/triplett.

629815[/snapback]

Bernard would fit the bill, too. I would have no problem with that.

Okay, William.  Once again:  considering Ferguson will be off the board by the 8th pick, which lineman do you take if you stay there?  If you move down, who do you trade w/ and what player do you target?

629828[/snapback]

I know that this is a fair question. The thing is, I do not have the expertise of guys like you and Badolbilz, nor do I pretend to. That said, I am thinking that Peters should go to LT if we don't get The Brickman. As you said, this scenario would lend itself toward a tradedown.

I liked what little I saw of Trueblood at RT. I saw him beat the living **** of some highly regarded DE at a bowl game SO bad that he was ejected! :( Do I want him at #8? Of course not, he is a RT.

At Guard, I am reading great things about Joseph, and you are well aware of how I feel about Setterstrom. I am also loving Mangold at OC. Again, none of these guys might be worthy of the #8, but they are just what we need imo.

Also Rich, remember what the Bengals did with Jones? He wasn't supposed to go at #9, but I wish we took him instead of Williams. NE drafted Mankins at the end of round 1 last year. Nobody thought he would go that high either, yet he was able to step in and start.

My point is that our GM, coaches and scouts should already know who the best big guys are. We need them to kick ass up in the elements in which we play football. Imo, getting big, strong monsters is our only chance of winning.

You cannot look past two years, IMO. Runyan would be that player, good for two years. I think we can sign a decent guard to start, and then have Anderson and Gandy and #2 picks as back-ups. With three decent tough veterans, Peters, Preston at C, and a blocking TE, we could probably move the ball. It wouldnt solve our decade long problem  on the OL, but there simply is not a OL I would draft at #8.

629834[/snapback]

I like your idea, but I'd submit that Justice is worth the #8. I don't see him as being much of a drop off from Ferguson. I would much rather take him over Huff.

I know that this is a fair question. The thing is, I do not have the expertise of guys like you and Badolbilz, nor do I pretend to.  That said, I am thinking that Peters should go to LT if we don't get The Brickman. As you said, this scenario would lend itself toward a tradedown. 

I liked what little I saw of Trueblood at RT. I saw him beat the living **** of some highly regarded DE at a bowl game SO bad that he was ejected!  :( Do I want him at #8? Of course not, he is a RT.

At Guard, I am reading great things about Joseph, and you are well aware of how I feel about Setterstrom. I am also loving Mangold at OC. Again, none of these guys might be worthy of the #8, but they are just what we need imo.

Also Rich, remember what the Bengals did with Jones? He wasn't supposed to go at #9, but I wish we took him instead of Williams. NE drafted Mankins at the end of round 1 last year. Nobody thought he would go that high either, yet he was able to step in and start.

My point is that our GM, coaches and scouts should already know who the best big guys are. We need them to kick ass up in the elements in which we play football. Imo, getting big, strong monsters is our only chance of winning.

629879[/snapback]

Stephen Neal I would also strongly consider to sign now to play guard. I would be happy with Runyan and Neal.

Vikings | Team visits with Neal

Tue, 14 Mar 2006 16:13:08 -0800

Mike Reiss, of the Boston Globe, reports the Minnesota Vikings visited with free agent OL Stephen Neal (Patriots) Tuesday, March 14.

629828[/snapback]

It's always a tough call to say a specific team that you could trade down with. No one knows what GM's are thinking, but every year trades are made.

In this case, the Bills could trade down pretty much anywhere below the last couple picks in round 1 and be able to pick up Mangold and an extra 2nd (at least).

With 2 second rounders it is likely they could pull in two of Jean-Gilles, Spencer, Joseph, or Latui, all of whom I believe can start this year.

They could also have the choice of picking up tackles like Winston, O'Callaghan, or Scott if they choose to go that route....though I believe the guards offer better value/impact.

Again, it sucks projecting a trade down scenario, but if they can get another DT to sign, I think it gives us the best bet to help the team.

I wonder if he was going to visit the Giants next. I like him better than Bernard because he plays the run better and will probably be a little cheaper because of Bernards inflated sack numbers. We got our up the field guy, now get Pickett. Get er' done Marv. I think the whole sheduling conflict thing was Pickett going to visit the Giants, but couldn't find anything on it. We shall see, but I'm hoping for Pickett.