F*cking Ralph

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So where's the signing bonus money to compete with the 'Skins and 'Boys going to come from?

622709[/snapback]

Unfortunately the Skins have a huge advantage, unless Ralph digs into his own pocket (not going to happen). I understand that the Bills are at a disadvantage, but i also believe that the cap is the only way the Bills can survive. Even with a 85 million cap the skins will have a 100+ million team. But without a cap the skins would have a 200 million team, ala the Stanks...

If your so upset then raise the money and buy the team from Ralph and run it the way you think it should be run. Dont have the money ? Then maybe you shouldn't bag on Ralph.

622723[/snapback]

Exactly, Ralph's the man and no ones going to stick it to the man.

Go Bills!!!

Ralph near the end of his life. He's 87 year old! Give him a break. He's nearing the end of his life. He was just voicing his own opinion and everyone around this city goes crazy. Doesn't seems like fans around here really support Ralph anymore. How sad becuase he created this team and must of had a tough time in doing it. And now fans are turning their back on him for his opinion. How dare Bills fans do this to him.

Unfortunately the Skins have a huge advantage, unless Ralph digs into his own pocket (not going to happen).  I understand that the Bills are at a disadvantage, but i also believe that the cap is the only way the Bills can survive.  Even with a 85 million cap the skins will have a 100+ million team.  But without a cap the skins would have a 200 million team, ala the Stanks...

622717[/snapback]

The problem with you theory is that a team can throw as much money as they want at a player for bonuses, but that money will have to be accounted for sometime under the salary cap. So if snyder wanted to offer all his players 1 million dollar contracts a year, but give them 30-50 million dollar signing bonuses that money will count against the cap in some form and screw the team over. Thats why cutting moulds will cost the bills a bit of money this year

Ralph near the end of his life.  He's 87 year old!  Give him a break.  He's nearing the end of his life.  He was just voicing his own opinion and everyone around this city goes crazy.  Doesn't seems like fans around here really support Ralph anymore.  How sad becuase he created this team and must of had a tough time in doing it.  And now fans are turning their back on him for his opinion.  How dare Bills fans do this to him.

622737[/snapback]

Exactly :)

Ralph near the end of his life.  He's 87 year old!  Give him a break.  He's nearing the end of his life.  He was just voicing his own opinion and everyone around this city goes crazy.  Doesn't seems like fans around here really support Ralph anymore.  How sad becuase he created this team and must of had a tough time in doing it.  And now fans are turning their back on him for his opinion.  How dare Bills fans do this to him.

622737[/snapback]

Who the hell is turning their back on him?!?!?! All I said is he embarrassed himself. Which he did. I love the man. I love what he has done for the community. I love the Bills. I love hot cocoa and long walks on the beach. Fact is, he embarrased himself. The business he is in, which is played out for all to see, has a trickle down effect. For better or worse. It's perception. Wether it's media generated or not, his actions are a reflection on the organization. Top to bottom.

I'll say it one more time. I love and respect the man. I say these things so he can maintain his dignity. I believe others might feel the same.

There was a LOT more to Ralph's interview than what the sensationalistic media showed.  Ralph knew that there wasn't enough time to properly vote on the CBA and after readind it, he says it's a bad deal for smaller markets.  Be embarrassed at YOURSELVES for believing what the media feeds you.

623240[/snapback]

That's great. If you have access, put on WEEI right now!! They are doing an "interview" with RW. Only it's not really RW. They hired some comedian to play RW. It's the PERCEPTION people. Justified or not. Right or wrong. The perception is not favorable.

RW may have been the only one in that room the other day with a clue. But you'd never guess it.

Here's the thing...

Ralph says he didn't understand it, but the whole deal is too complicated for an actuary to figure out. He was one of two owners to vote against something that was almost incomprehensible for the time they were given to consider it (45 minutes). Not to mention, this is something that would affect his business for the next 10 years...if I were a CEO in that position, I'd vote it down purely on the basis that I wouldn't want 45 minutes to decide my company's fate for the forseeable future.

When I also hear that other owners voted for the proposal just so they wouldn't look like jerks, it makes me respect Ralph a little more.

Get past the fact that he just *sounds* like an old coot...I think he's a little smarter than some of us think.

Here's the thing...

Ralph says he didn't understand it, but the whole deal is too complicated for an actuary to figure out. He was one of two owners to vote against something that was almost incomprehensible for the time they were given to consider it (45 minutes). Not to mention, this is something that would affect his business for the next 10 years...if I were a CEO in that position, I'd vote it down purely on the basis that I wouldn't want 45 minutes to decide my company's fate for the forseeable future.

When I also hear that other owners voted for the proposal just so they wouldn't look like jerks, it makes me respect Ralph a little more.

Get past the fact that he just *sounds* like an old coot...I think he's a little smarter than some of us think.

623268[/snapback]

OK, but this league, like no other, is set up to be balanced. The "poor" Steeler franchise proved that they could be the Paul Allen Seahawks.

Are you telling me that you think that RW is capable, through an "involved" role, of doing this?

I WANT to think that he can, but it isn't easy. Not at all.

OK, but this league, like no other, is set up to be balanced. The "poor" Steeler franchise proved that they could be the Paul Allen Seahawks.

Are you telling me that you think that RW is capable, through an "involved" role, of doing this?

623280[/snapback]

All I'm saying is that he voted against this on principle, despite how he sounded saying that he didn't understand it. Knowing that this is an extremely complicated deal (which other owners admitted to) and that he had 45 minutes to decide the near future of his franchise, he wouldn't do it. This is where I think he was smart.

623280[/snapback]

Your exactly right. But now just about every move that the Bills make has to be right. There is no room for bad FA signings because the Bills have to make sure every penny is accounted for and well spent. They don't get anywhere near the $200,000 that the Skins get for their luxury boxes. So it's not going to be easy, but it can be done.

Here's a quote I read today:

"The revenue sharing basically solidifies the future of the Bills in Buffalo “after” Ralph for the next several years, unless the Bills new Levy-Jauron team completely blows the on-field product."

That's the main reason I am happy about the deal! Do I love the deal, NO. Is it better than the alternative, ABSOLUTELY YES!!! Winning will sell tickets, always has and alway will. This offseason and the next will be critical and I am hoping for the best.

All I'm saying is that he voted against this on principle, despite how he sounded saying that he didn't understand it. Knowing that this is an extremely complicated deal (which other owners admitted to) and that he had 45 minutes to decide the near future of his franchise, he wouldn't do it. This is where I think he was smart.

623305[/snapback]

I think this is a legitimate point of view and one I'd likely share if I owned a company and was about to sign a contract that had a major impact on its value and direction. I honestly don't know how one could argue to the contrary.

What an embarrasment that old bastard is. I guess it's time to face the fact that our favorite franchise is now the butt of the biggest jokes in the NFL. How sad.

622033[/snapback]

Actually, I credit Ralph for being a stand-up guy and being frank. Ralph is 100% right. It sounds like there wasn't enough investigation into what was actually happeing. Maybe he didn't explain it well, but Ralph is right.

I know for sure that when I bought our house I didn't understand what the hell all the documents meant in front of me, so I took my damn sweet time to read it before I signed anything. This is called prudent business.

623280[/snapback]

That was the old NFL where the salary cap was defined as a percentage of shared revenues. This basically ensured that any NFL team could field a salary cap level team if they wanted to. This was also before some of the high-revenue franchises realized that coaching salaries were uncapped, and so that with everyone having essentially balanced rosters, that coaching staff could provide a huge margin of difference. We'll have to see if Buffalo's bargain-basement coaching staffs will be able to compete with the all-star coaching staffs of teams like the Redskins in the future. The Steelers are fortunate to have gambled and won on an unkown Schottenheimer assistant named Bill Cowher who has clearly been happy to stay in Pittsburgh as one of the very best coaches in the NFL.

JDG

That's great. If you have access, put on WEEI right now!! They are doing an "interview" with RW. Only it's not really RW. They hired some comedian to play RW. It's the PERCEPTION  people. Justified or not. Right or wrong. The perception is not favorable.

RW may have been the only one in that room the other day with a clue. But you'd never guess it.

623248[/snapback]

Sure the perception was bad, but the more that comes out about this deal I think that Buffalo and Cincinnati were right. I think this is a terrible deal for the small-market teams, and they might have needed to gamble on the unknown in order to win a better deal.....

JDG