Jaguars expected to make a push for:

OnTheRocks

Jaguars Eyeing LeCharles Bentley --

Sat Feb 18, 2006

CBS Sportsline's Pete Prisco reports the Jacksonville Jaguars are expected to make a strong push to sign Saints free-agent C LeCharles Bentley when the signing period opens. The team would love to move C Brad Meester back to guard to replace disappointing OG Vince Manuwai, who is a restricted free agent. Bentley would bring nastiness to an offensive line that needs it, and word is the Jaguars have him high on their wish list. The Saints would love to keep him but are believed to be unwilling to put the franchise tag on him. That would be fine with Bentley, who would love to test the market; word is he prefers leaving. Meester played guard his first two years in the league.

The Bills, Browns, Jaguars.....the price continues to get pushed up.

Why would Bentley be interested in Buffalo? Many teams will offer him comparable money. Our front office is a holy mess, we've had 4 coaches in 7 years, and our owner/GM have one foot in the hole...

Couple the that with the attractiveness of Buffalo as a destination (relative to other NFL cities) and I don't see it happening....

Why would Bentley be interested in Buffalo?  Many teams will offer him comparable money.  Our front office is a holy mess, we've had 4 coaches in 7 years, and our owner/GM have one foot in the hole...

Couple the that with the attractiveness of Buffalo as a destination (relative to other NFL cities) and I don't see it happening....

606654[/snapback]

Marv will be offering a discount to Bills players for Depends and prune juice.

Why would Bentley be interested in Buffalo?  Many teams will offer him comparable money.  Our front office is a holy mess, we've had 4 coaches in 7 years, and our owner/GM have one foot in the hole...

606654[/snapback]

Woe is me. Poor poor me.

Bentley would bring nastiness to an offensive line that needs it, and word is the Jaguars have him high on their wish list.
No one needs nastiness more than the Bills OL. :doh: That's why I don't want to draft any pussies like Da Brick or Winston, & I don't want to sign any FA pussies like Mike Pearson either. I want an OL that plays physical & stays physical & won't wilt in the clutch against a tough physical defensive front (see Colts vs. Steelers playoff). Let's get some mean SOB's like Bentley in here! :P

NO MEAN STREAK = NO PICK = NO SIGN

Bentley is from the Cleveland area and made it known in January that he would like to go home and play.

I happen to remember a certain LB that wanted to go home and play in Cleveland and we happened to sign him from under Cleveland's nose.

It's just a matter of how much commitment the Golden Boys show as far as the money and future plans of the Origanization go.

Let's hope they get it done

:P

I'm guessing he'll go to the highest bidder.

606670[/snapback]

"highest" can be relative in this case. I don't think he goes to the place that offers him $1 more. It wiill take considerably more $$$ to make Buffalo more attractive than other teams for the top FA's at this point.

Bentley is from the Cleveland area and made it known in January that he would like to go home and play.

I happen to remember a certain LB that wanted to go home and play in Cleveland and we happened to sign him from under Cleveland's nose.

And apparently Fletcher and Bentley work-out. Hopefully that's a way-in to getting him, not to mention a good deal.

606654[/snapback]

Somebody is cranky... :devil:

606654[/snapback]

Then why even bother? Why would anyone want to come here? There just isn't a point anymore. Sell the team to LA and get it over with.

Then why even bother?  Why would anyone want to come here?  There just isn't a point anymore.  Sell the team to LA and get it over with.

606782[/snapback]

nice straw man... :devil:

the point is that many teams will want the services of the top FA OL and we will be bidding for their services behind the 8-ball. I assume people will freak when we don't land him or Hutch, but I think it is unrealistic that we will get either of them.

This org has to work it's way out of a deep hole. That doesn't mean don't try - it only means that we may not succeed in landing the best of the best right off the bat.

This org has to work it's way out of a deep hole. That doesn't mean don't try - it only means that we may not succeed in landing the best of the best right off the bat.

606852[/snapback]

The above is precisely why the draft means more to the Bills than to many other teams. We don't have a sunny warm climate, nor Paul Allen for an owner.

I agree that our chances at signing Hutch appear to be slim. Guys as good as him are rarely let go by their respective teams under any conditions. If he DOES become a ufa, the Bills would have to make him the highest paid OG in NFL history to get him, or so I think.

In the "old days," you claimed that we gave Ruben too much cash as a ufa to play OG. In retrospect, you were right.

That said, were it up to me, I would offer Hutch 35 mil. over 5 years with a 15 mil signing bonus.

Would you?

The weather excuse is bull. There are a lot of teams in this league that are in cold cities that most players don't want to live in, and top free agents go everywhere. GB, New England, NY, Denver, Cinci, Minnesota, Cleveland (a team Bentley has said he wants to go to) all have cold weather and will all be players in FA like they are every year.

Too many people seem to be under the impression that TD is still here. His cheap approach to FA is gone. As far as anyone here knows, Marv/Modrak are going to be overspending on everyone they bring in. Is that good? Of course not, my point is we don't know.

A few players have said they want to play for Jauron. They like the guy; like how he coaches and treats the players. He may not be considered the top coach in the league, but I don't think he's going to drive players away from Buffalo.

Yes, we have a new front office. So what? Players want to get paid. As long as Marv isn't telling players they have to take LESS to play in Buffalo (ahem), we have just as much shot as bringing these guys in as ALMOST every other team.

ALMOST = Of course players will want to play for the top 4 or 5 teams (Pitt, Indy, NE, etc...) IF the money is close. But those teams can't take everyone.

Buffalo can be a player in FA if they want to.

Free agency will be slow for the Bills.  I don't think the big names will be arriving just yet.

Put yourself in Bentley's shoes.....same money.....Jacksonville or Buffalo?

606885[/snapback]

If I'm Bentley? Buffalo. It's a couple hour drive home.

Given what Bentley has said, if all the teams in comepetition all offered him the same contract, Cleveland would be the team standing in our way.

Buffalo will have to outbid Cleveland, and I don't think that's out of the realm of possibility.

And to go on record, I don't really care if we get Bentley or not. There are a few different routes the Bills can take this off-season, he is just one. I just don't think that players will not play for the Bills just because they are the Bills. If the money is in line with the other offers they get and the deal feels right, they will come.

Bentley was on Sirius today. One thing's for sure is that he won't be back with the Saints, since he didn't like the direction of the team. Pat Kirwan hinted at the angle for Bentley to play for "any ex coaches" out there. Could he wind up in St. Louis, where Haslett is? He wants to get paid...don't rule out the Cardinals. Denny Green would cough up the coin for him. A great interview on Sirius, as per usual!

Ask him if he made the right choice....he was bitching up a storm by mid-season.

Doesn't matter. You don't know what you're getting into in any situation.

And Bentley can ask Peerless how playing for the hometown fans was. While Fletch can give Bentley the inside scoop of playing in Buffalo versus Cleveland, his hometown as well.

If the money is in line with the other offers they get and the deal feels right, they will come.

606889[/snapback]

I think it is the opposite - if the money is in line with other offers the top-tier FA's will stay away (just as you said with Cleveland).

I think we would need to add $1M in signing bonus money to tip any deal our way. Other than that - I don't see any hooks that put Buffalo ahead of any other bidding franchise right now.

I think it is the opposite - if the money is in line with other offers the top-tier FA's will stay away (just as you said with Cleveland).

I think we would need to add $1M in signing bonus money to tip any deal our way.  Other than that - I don't see any hooks that put Buffalo ahead of any other bidding franchise right now.

606902[/snapback]

No hooks. But there's the Anchor Bar. :devil:

Like Vinny Testaverde said when he was switching teams back when, it's nice to be close to the family, but being back in the same city can be a little too close. Maybe this would work in our favor, but like you, I have serious doubts about our ability to attract FAs right now.

Bentley is like the hot girl in high school who breaks up with her bf. And, hate to break it to everyone, but she doesn't usually ask the short, tubby kid with glasses to go to the prom. Unless she's slumming. Or if said kid buys her a diamond ring and gets a limo.

Bentley was on Sirius today. One thing's for sure is that he won't be back with the Saints, since he didn't like the direction of the team. Pat Kirwan hinted at the angle for Bentley to play for "any ex coaches" out there. Could he wind up in St. Louis, where Haslett is? He wants to get paid...don't rule out the Cardinals. Denny Green would cough up the coin for him. A great interview on Sirius, as per usual!

606893[/snapback]

That you, Zig? :devil:

As you mentioned, though, Bentley does have a good relationship with Haslett... and Andy McCollum, the Rams' starting center, turns 36 this season. The way I see it, their interest in signing Bentley depends on two things: STL's salary cap, and what the new coaching staff thinks about 2005 third-round pick Richie Incognito. Kid could be a stud if he ever gets his head straight....

Doesn't matter.  You don't know what you're getting into in any situation.

And Bentley can ask Peerless how playing for the hometown fans was.  While Fletch can give Bentley the inside scoop of playing in Buffalo versus Cleveland, his hometown as well.

606900[/snapback]

The Baltimore passing attack hasn't exactly been flourishing since.....well since forever.

Playing in Buffalo vs Cleveland? In 2006 terms that's a major push.....to borrow some words from Bakay.

:devil:

i don't buy any of this nonsense about a team as an organization not being able to attract good players. when Reggie White went from Philly to Green Bay, the Packers were a perenial loser playing in cold climate.

yeah...i know....Reggie said the Lord told him to sign with the Packers so it doesn't count.....but I am sure there are plenty of other examples very similar.

i don't buy any of this nonsense about a team as an organization not being able to attract good players.  when Reggie White went from Philly to Green Bay, the Packers were a perenial loser playing in cold climate.

yeah...i know....Reggie said the Lord told him to sign with the Packers so it doesn't count.....but I am sure there are plenty of other examples very similar.

607169[/snapback]

I've made it no secret from day 1 that I don't think Levy/Jauron were smart hires. With Buffalo being a less than ideal place to attract young rich boys, you need something to get them to sign on the dotted line. That is either money or tradition.

So, given the current state of the team (our lack of success) we clearly need to outspend other bidders.

Our management turnover is very high with 3 GM's and 4 coaches in 7 years. I just don't see a payer choosing Buffalo over Jax right now if the money were the same. We are painfully short on the intangibles that would tip the scales our way.

I've made it no secret from day 1 that I don't think Levy/Jauron were smart hires. With Buffalo being a less than ideal place to attract young rich boys, you need something to get them to sign on the dotted line.  That is either money or tradition.

So, given the current state of the team (our lack of success) we clearly need to outspend other bidders.

Our management turnover is very high with 3 GM's and 4 coaches in 7 years.  I just don't see a payer choosing Buffalo over Jax right now if the money were the same.  We are painfully short on the intangibles that would tip the scales our way.

607247[/snapback]

Good point. But from what I've heard Jauron is a very player-friendly coach--he might be able to counteract some of those negatives you mentioned. If I were a player and the money being the same, I'd rather play for a guy who has a rep as a being a players coach than, say, Tom Coughlin.

You can talk, you can talk, you can bicker, you can talk, you can bicker, bicker, bicker, you can talk all you want, but it's different than it was.

Money cures all. Buffalo could be hell's evil twin brother and players will still come to play if there is money to be made. You can talk to the Jonan Jennings of the world and they'll tell you they didn't bolt to the Niners because they were about make a run for the title.

Cash for the noggins and the piggins and the firkens. Cash for the hoghead, cask and demijohn. Cash for the crackers and the pickles and the flypaper.

The problem is, our owner doesn't like to spend, and that's Trouble, my friends. With a capital T and that rhymes with C and that stands for Cheap.

Put out the money and they will come.

You can talk, you can talk, you can bicker, you can talk, you can bicker, bicker, bicker, you can talk all you want, but it's different than it was.

Money cures all. Buffalo could be hell's evil twin brother and players will still come to play if there is money to be made. You can talk to the Jonan Jennings of the world and they'll tell you they didn't bolt to the Niners because they were about  make a run for the title.

Cash for the noggins and the piggins and the firkens. Cash for the hoghead, cask and demijohn. Cash for the crackers and the pickles and the flypaper.

The problem is, our owner doesn't like to spend, and that's Trouble, my friends. With a capital T and that rhymes with C and that stands for Cheap.

607273[/snapback]

Tsk, Professor Hill...Ralph vs. Meredith? :lol:

607273[/snapback]

I guess my opinion is that the top FA's would be getting comparable offers from several teams. If our offer was above and beyond what anyone else could touch - then sure they will come. I think it will take millions of up front money more than the rest....

However, how much do we want to pay before it becomes a liability? :lol:

607273[/snapback]

Yep, that's why TKO, LM, SA, LF and all the free agents that signed in years past came here...cause Ralph's middle initial stands for Cheap. :lol:

Yep, that's why TKO, LM, SA, LF and all the free agents that signed in years past came here...cause Ralph's middle initial stands for Cheap.    :lol:

607286[/snapback]

For every TKO and Sam Adams there is a Jonas Jennings, Pat Williams, and Peerless Price. The minute the bills come due for TKO and Sam, you can say good-bye just like you can say goodbye to Moulds.