Bills working on Moulds' situation

I don't know the extent of the financial details (I'll leave that to experts such as clump), but I don't think the Levy/Moulds relationship should be underestimated. Recall, Levy was still HC when he was drafted, and Moulds has expressed his respect for Marv on numerous occasions.

I'm setting the probability at 80/20 they find a way to get a deal done that keeps Moulds in Buffalo until he retires and provides significant cap relief.

That said, while I was looking at Moulds' career stats one in particular stood out like a sore thumb -- his YPC has decreased EVERY YEAR since his "breakout" year in 1998 (when it was 20.4). 15.3, 14.1, 13.5, 12.9, 12.2, 11.9, and 10.1. Although his career YPC is 13.5, he hasn't reached that level since 2001. I know there are many arguments and "excuses" as to why EM's numbers have slipped (multiple schitty QBs, HCs, and OCs), but this is nonetheless a scary statistic.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30% rule is in effect because of the "uncapped" 2007

I need to read up on this

I thought the "Deion rule," i.e. the 30% maximum cut, was always in place? :wacko:

What I'm wondering is if the Bills can add an extra year or two without paying Moulds more (like the Bills did with Bruce a few years ago, that he didn't realize at the time), to spread out the money over more years?

CUT HIS A$$ AND GET TO. TO IN DENVER IS A WASTE - TO IN THE SNOW IN BUFFALO WITH RAMS PASS HAPPY OC = TD!!!!!

602479[/snapback]

You're an idiot. T.O. will never be anywhere close to the type of player we'd want in Buffalo. Moulds will restructure and we'll have him here. He's still a great reciever and he's done it before. He'll stay in Buffalo.

Levy, who will attend the college scouting combine in Indianapolis next week, said rebuilding the Bills' offensive line is a top priority. "The offensive line needs improvement; it's obvious," he said. Buffalo picks No. 8 in the April draft. One key factor in bringing back tackle/guard Mike Williams, Levy said, will be determining if the former No. 4 overall pick is "intrinsically motivated."

From the D&C article on TBD front page.

It is good to know the old guy has his hand on the dying pulse of this organization.

He would have to restructure and add a year or two, with a significant cut. The NFL only allows a 30% pay cut and if his salary is 7+ mil, it's still too much for us to pay for him to just take a cut. And he could probably get more on the open market than we are willing to pay him and still make it feasible to us. It's going to be close. I really don't know what the marketplace will be for a guy like Moulds, but there are a lot of teams that could use a player like him.

602499[/snapback]

I doubt there is any team in the league that is willing to pay him 7M this year.

Teams that are WR needy and ready to make the SB run like Denver and

Washington are way over the cap and I can't see them paying 7M to a WR

who is 30+.....

Teams would rather pay that kind of money to a young and upcoming

WRs like a Reggi Wayne...

I doubt there is any team in the league that is willing to pay him 7M this year.

who is 30+.....

602720[/snapback]

I am not real familiar with the 30% rule, but why couldn't the Bills and Eric hammer out a gentlemens agreement on what it would take to keep Eric, cut him, and then resign him to the lower deal. Gets around the 30% rule, and as far as I know, there is no restriction on that. Course, you always leave open the possibility that another team will swoop in and offer significantly more and the "gentlemens" agreement is then worth the paper its written on, ala Carlos Boozer.

But being a fan of "Earl", Bozzer and the Jazz became Karma's B word when he backed out of his word, think hes only played in like 20 games in two years for them.

We're not that far from being a contender. Pay him what it takes and let's move on. If we think we are far from being a contender and want a four or five year rebuilding plan...let him go. I think we aren't in that bad a situation. Keep Moulds and Clements and build for next season. As far as JP goes, our working assumption should be that given an offensive line (our top priority) he should be able to do the job.

who is 30+.....

602720[/snapback]

I don't expect them to. But they may pay 4 million to him. And that may be a little too much for us. First of all we would have to cut him first and hope no one swooped in. If we didn't, we would have to give him another bonus on top of our 4 plus mil on the cap we already paid him and are on the books for to restructure his contract, plus 4 or so more mil salary that he would demand, which counts about 10 mil on the cap for us.

I thought the "Deion rule," i.e. the 30% maximum cut, was always in place? 0:)

What I'm wondering is if the Bills can add an extra year or two without paying Moulds more (like the Bills did with Bruce a few years ago, that he didn't realize at the time), to spread out the money over more years?

602618[/snapback]

"Deion" rule is different from the "30% rule"

Both only apply if a player's contract extends into "uncapped" years.

"30% rule" basically is the max. amt a salary can be reduced or increased

"Deion" rule is more for the relationship between signing bonus and salary

I'll have more later....I'm at work

We should cut anyone over the age of 30 on the bills, they are worthless and can't be effective anymore

Do any of you actually watch the games or do you all just look at salary cap figures, stats and age when deciding who should be cut and who should be signed.

Eric Moulds still gets double coverage and is still a guy that others plan their defenses around when they come to play Buffalo. Its not like he was getting a ton of passes and was dropping them. He is still an veteran leader on the team and should be retained even if he doesn't take a pay cut. Why everyone thinks we will be a huge improvement if we cut him to get another lineman is beyond me. We need a better line, but we also need someone to make catches and score the TD's. Evans is a good receiver but is not a #1 receiver yet, no one on the bills is up to the level of #1 receiver yet like moulds is.

Remeber, that cap savings we get if he is cut also will have to be used to get his replacement. Do you think that for part of that cap savings you are going to bring in a #1 receiver and a good lineman? Cause whatever you would spend on them you have to add the cap hit to what they are making to accurately show how much they are costing the Bills.

Its not like the situation with MW where his talent is no where near what he is going to be payed, even if he were to accept a 30% pay cut.

We should cut anyone over the age of 30 on the bills, they are worthless and can't be effective anymore

Do any of you actually watch the games or do you all just look at salary cap figures, stats and age when deciding who should be cut and who should be signed.

Eric Moulds still gets double coverage and is still a guy that others plan their defenses around when they come to play Buffalo. Its not like he was getting a ton of passes and was dropping them. He is still an veteran leader on the team and should be retained even if he doesn't take a pay cut. Why everyone thinks we will be a huge improvement if we cut him to get another lineman is beyond me. We need a better line, but we also need someone to make catches and score the TD's. Evans is a good receiver but is not a #1 receiver yet, no one on the bills is up to the level of #1 receiver yet like moulds is.

Remeber, that cap savings we get if he is cut also will have to be used to get his replacement. Do you think that for part of that cap savings you are going to bring in a #1 receiver and a good lineman? Cause whatever you would spend on them you have to add the cap hit to what they are making to accurately show how much they are costing the Bills.

Its not like the situation with MW where his talent is no where near what he is going to be payed, even if he were to accept a 30% pay cut.

603754[/snapback]

People throw around money figures like they don't mean anything. Moulds' salary and roster bonuses alone for this year are 7+ mil. That's a ton of money. Compare that to the 5.9 mil franchise tag of CBs, an extremely valued position. And that is for the top five CBs in the league. Moulds is not a top 20 WR anymore, even though he is still quite good. You can get a pretty decent receiver in FA for a cap figure of 3 million this year and that extra 2.5 mil could be the difference between signing LaCharles Bentley and not signing him. That is the choice we have to make. Or the difference between a 2 mil DT and a 4 mil DT. A million or two dollars is a lot of money to play with sometimes.

603754[/snapback]

Thankyou for this post :devil:

It is NOT--for the hundreth time cap savings of 5.5M! Who do you sign to take his place? Sign another WR for 2-3M/year and you have a WR playing for 7.5-8.5M cap figure. Face it, we have no reasonablr receiving corps without Moulds. Does Sam Aiken get 81 receptions next year? That's the only way you "save 5.5M" on the cap, and you have to re-sign Aiken because he is a restricted FA. Savings is only savings if you have the quality replacement on the roster already. And we all know he's not on this team already. Evans in probably another 2 years, but not now.

It is NOT--for the hundreth time cap savings of 5.5M!  Who do you sign to take his place?  Sign another WR for 2-3M/year and you have a WR playing for 7.5-8.5M cap figure.  Face it, we have no reasonablr receiving corps without Moulds.  Does Sam Aiken get 81 receptions next year?  That's the only way you "save 5.5M" on the cap, and you have to re-sign Aiken because he is a restricted FA.  Savings is only savings if you have the quality replacement on the roster already.  And we all know he's not on this team already.  Evans in probably another 2 years, but not now.

603778[/snapback]

so you save $2.5 mil

which can be used teh lines

The only way you keep Moulds is if 2007 remains an uncapped year so his huge dead money will be sent into cyberspace.

However, that is highly unlikely.

The thing I worry about with Eric Moulds is not his play on the field but his "supposid" locker room leadership last year.....

I still firmly beleive that JP Losman is going to win any training camp battle with Kelly Holcomb next year......and given the problems Moulds caused for Losman in camp (and some were legit complaints and others were not) I worry about the chemistry between the two. Losman and Evans HAVE chemistry....so Lee is going to get the ball.....but Moulds gets really unhappy fast when he doesn't get his touches........

Unless Moulds does a drastic restructure it may be time for some material....Brandon Loyd or David Givens?

I believe moulds problem last year was the same thing that JP admitted, he should not have been just handed the job as starter.

If JP wins the job in training camp, then I don't see how he can have a problem with JP, even if he doesn't get thrown to as often. For that he will have to complain to the guy calling the plays.

I think the media blew the whole moulds wants losmen out, holcomb thing out of proportion, and his suspension was due to arguements with the coaching not a problem with JP