Bills working on Moulds' situation

The thing I worry about with Eric Moulds is not his play on the field but his "supposid" locker room leadership last year.....

I still firmly beleive that JP Losman is going to win any training camp battle with Kelly Holcomb next year......and given the problems Moulds caused for Losman in camp (and some were legit complaints and others were not) I worry about the chemistry between the two.  Losman and Evans HAVE chemistry....so Lee is going to get the ball.....but Moulds gets really unhappy fast when he doesn't get his touches........

Unless Moulds does a drastic restructure it may be time for some material....Brandon Loyd or David Givens?

603837[/snapback]

Good post.

If Moulds is a true leader on this team, it's no suprise we suck.

That BS in Miami, should have squashed all talk of him coming back.

I love Eric's talent, and he has been awesome in past years. This to me, is addition by subtraction. (ie: Miro Satan)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is NOT--for the hundreth time cap savings of 5.5M!  Who do you sign to take his place? 

603778[/snapback]

Nate Clements. $5.9M to franchise Nate vs $5.5M saved by cutting Moulds is close to a wash. Nate still has upside, Moulds has nothing but downside & is a problem child. Can't keep both if you want to get any serious FA help for the OL/DL. 2nd-tier WRs are easier to replace than 1st-tier CBs, I'd rather downgrade there. May end up sufferring for a year, but in 2007 all the dead cap hit from Moulds + MW will be gone, you can upgrade WR then.

"Deion" rule is different from the "30% rule"

Both only apply if a player's contract extends into "uncapped" years.

"30% rule" basically is the max. amt a salary can be reduced or increased

603544[/snapback]

Clumpy, just to clarify, that means amt a salary can be reduced on a current contract, right? Not that the Bills couldn't extend him for, say, two more years with the following years at lower salary?

Just found this on ESPN Rumor Central. Seems to fly in the face of the 30% Rule. Can anyone explain how this could be possible?

Pennington's price too high

<Feb. 14> The Jets have approached Pennington about taking an $8 million pay cut, the New York Daily News is reporting. Pennington is scheduled to make $9 million in 2006, and the Jets want him to accept a $1 million base salary with the opportunity to make up the difference by achieving incentives.

Good post.

If Moulds is a true leader on this team,  it's no suprise we suck.

That BS in Miami,  should have squashed all talk of him coming back.

I love Eric's talent,  and he has been awesome in past years.  This to me,  is addition by subtraction.  (ie:  Miro Satan)

603844[/snapback]

While I agree that Moulds "pouting" at Miami, and his inconsistent support of the Bill's QB's may have warranted distain, I still have to feel for the guy who's already been thru so many QB changes, and now that his career is winding down, understanding his impatience (lack of winning) is not all that difficult.

With that said, for him to remain a Bill, he must revert back to the pre-2005 Moulds relative to the QB position, and give his full support and effort to whoever that QB. Zero tolerance for further dissention.

Just found this on ESPN Rumor Central.  Seems to fly in the face of the 30% Rule.  Can anyone explain how this could be possible?

604698[/snapback]

Just read another story that contracts cannot RISE by more than 30% in a year right now, futher complicating contracts that contained a bunch of not likely to be eraned incentives.

Jeez, we really need this CBA thing to get done

While I agree that Moulds "pouting" at Miami, and his inconsistent support of the Bill's QB's may have warranted distain, I still have to feel for the guy who's already been thru so many QB changes, and now that his career is winding down, understanding his impatience (lack of winning) is not all that difficult.

With that said, for him to remain a Bill, he must revert back to the pre-2005 Moulds relative to the QB position, and give his full support and effort to whoever that QB. Zero tolerance for further dissention.

604793[/snapback]

That is how I feel about it as well....I love Eric Moulds the player and I understand they he has done a lot for this franchise in the financial area by retructuring etc.

BUT....lets face it...the chances of Kelly Holcomb being the starting QB are remote....the chances of spending money to bring someone else in is even MORE remote. We used a 1st round draft pick on a QB and they are going to depend on that investment REGARDLESS of what they say in the media....just too much invested.

I dont want a receiver on the downside of his career (and lets face it...he is quickly going to become option B....we did NOT use a high 1st round pick on Lee Evans for him not to be the main guy. Pouting about the QB, his catches, etc etc.

I think Brandon Loyd or David Givens would be good choices if we dont get Eric to do what is needed...Loyd is used to being on a crappy team with a young QB so this would probably be a step up for him.....Givens played on a team where "team first" was the mandate so you probably wont here him being a dessention in the locker room.....

God I am just thinking out loud....I just love Eric Moulds....wish he could keep his mouth shut.

That is how I feel about it as well....I love Eric Moulds the player and I understand they he has done a lot for this franchise in the financial area by retructuring etc.

604868[/snapback]

Lets clarify just for the record. Eric Moulds has done nothing for this franchise in terms of restructuring etc. Not saying anything about his play on the field, just that somehow there is a notion that EM somehow gave the Bills a hometown discount in TDs first year, and that he restructured last year for LESS money. Neither of those statements are correct.

EMs contract still has him paid in the top 4 recievers in the league, and that is with averaging out his bonus money money and salary, and he signed the deal 5 years ago. Just amazing. I know we blasted TD about a lot of things, but one we never did was he vastly overestimated the market for WRs and over paid Eric just so he would not hit UFA status. Bur in no way did Eric give any kind of hometeam discount.

In terms of restructuring, Eric lost not one red cent. All they did last year was take non-guaranteed salary for 06 and 07, and convert it, along with his 05 salary, into GUARANTEED bonus money. Great deal for Eric, and any player and any agent with brains would have leapt at the chance to convert non guaranteed salary into guaranteed bonus money.

So debate Erics worth all you want, but please do not feel Eric has done any big favors for the Bills financially

Lets clarify just for the record. Eric Moulds has done nothing for this franchise in terms of restructuring etc. Not saying anything about his play on the field, just that somehow there is a notion that EM somehow gave the Bills a hometown discount in TDs first year, and that he restructured last year for LESS money. Neither of those statements are correct.

EMs contract still has him paid in the top 4 recievers in the league, and that is with averaging out his bonus money money and salary, and he signed the deal 5 years ago. Just amazing. I know we blasted TD about a lot of things, but one we never did was he vastly overestimated the market for WRs and over paid Eric just so he would not hit UFA status. Bur in no way did Eric give any kind of hometeam discount.

In terms of restructuring, Eric lost not one red cent. All they did last year was take non-guaranteed salary for 06 and 07, and convert it, along with his 05 salary, into GUARANTEED bonus money. Great deal for Eric, and any player and any agent with brains would have leapt at the chance to convert non guaranteed salary into guaranteed bonus money.

So debate Erics worth all you want, but please do not feel Eric has done any big favors for the Bills financially

604910[/snapback]

That's how I see it also.

The Moulds fluffers, like to use this as an excuse why we should keep him.

Completely ignoring his character flaws of:

deadbeat fatherhood

beating up girlfriend

spitting in opponents face

lying

calling out a first year QB

How many other things has this "fearless leader" done that we don't know about. I know though, he's the glue holding this sh!tty team together. Without him, we'd be a 5-11 team.

<_<

Nate Clements. $5.9M to franchise Nate vs $5.5M saved by cutting Moulds is close to a wash. Nate still has upside, Moulds has nothing but downside & is a problem child. Can't keep both if you want to get any serious FA help for the OL/DL. 2nd-tier WRs are easier to replace than 1st-tier CBs, I'd rather downgrade there. May end up sufferring for a year, but in 2007 all the dead cap hit from Moulds + MW will be gone, you can upgrade WR then.

603877[/snapback]

Whoa! Great post!! I would even go a step further and say that we would gain by getting rid of Moulds simply by giving Evans more chances.

Warm and fuzzy sentiments are nice I suppose, but they don't work in the salary cap driven NFL.

Clumpy's cap pages indicate that a washed up Moulds counts almost as much toward the cap as Jason Taylor.

Call me crazy, but the I think that the friggin phish are coming a ton closer to getting their money's worth than we are.

It might also be better for Eric to move on. With a more stable qb situation, perhaps he could raise his ypc average to 10.2.

Evans did so well the game he had no Moulds on the opposite side didn't he? How does Evans do when they roll coverage to his side. Does he do well against double coverage? These are questions you have to answer--and so far he has failed in that regard. That is a huge gamble. I like Evans as a receiver a lot! But look at Peerless, a very similar WR to Evans. How did that work out for him not having Moulds on the other side commanding double coverage? I agree like everyone that Moulds is NOT worth 10M a year. Nobody is arguing that point. But if he restructures he is the same cap value as cutting him and signing another free agent. Unless you want Sam Aiken to take his place--in which case Aiken essentially has a cap figure of 6-6.5M for the year by cutting Moulds.

I agree Moulds needs to keep his mouth shut, but what he said was correct in the Miami game. Calling out a QB? Saying a QB needs to compete for a job is calling the QB out? Wanting a QB to throw accurately? We all saw JP and he was awful at times. Worst completion percentage in the AFC.

If you want to group Moulds in with character problems then apply the same standard to others in the league and call for the Pats to get rid of McGinest, Carolina to get rid of Steve Smith, Bengals to get rid of Chad Johnson. These guys started fights on sidelines with there own players, called team members out in public on sidelines etc...