One Thing That Bugs Me about JP Losman

BobbyC81

was all that we heard about all this time he spent with Wyche and how good he was doing and how little of it we saw on the field.

As many of you have stated previously, it seemed to possibly be Donahoe, Mularkey and Wyche making exaggerated comments to justify getting rid of bledsoe and making JP the starter.

Hopefully Jauron, Levy & Ralph recognized that and base their decisions on it.

Some of the other things we have heard about JP, like his 1st preseason where they said he was mixing up calls from the Bills with those from college and/or high school still bothers me about his ability to handle the job.

He also has shown getting too excited and the coaches said they needed to calm him down. Well, geez, the guy played high school and college ball. Didn't he get somewhat used to playing the game from that experience.

Of course, there are only a few cool customers like a Montana and Brady. Then you have guys like Bledsoe with many years of Pro Ball and he still get sjittery back there an d looks like a rookie.

Hopefully it'll all click for JP and this QB issue can be put behind.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

was all that we heard about all this time he spent with Wyche and how good he was doing and how little of it we saw on the field.

As many of you have stated previously, it seemed to possibly be Donahoe, Mularkey and Wyche making exaggerated comments to justify getting rid of bledsoe and making JP the starter.

Some of the other things we have heard about JP, like his 1st preseason where they said he was mixing up calls from the Bills with those from college and/or high school still bothers me about his ability to handle the job.

He also has shown getting too excited and the coaches said they needed to calm him down.  Well, geez, the guy played high school and college ball.  Didn't he get somewhat used to playing the game from that experience.

Of course, there are only a few cool customers like a Montana and Brady.  Then you have guys like Bledsoe with many years of Pro Ball and he still get sjittery back there an d looks like a rookie.

598127[/snapback]

I'm still thinking that Sam Wyche is gone precisely because we saw so little of JP's progress on the field, though I'm sure there may be other reasons for Wyche's departure.

I'm also thinking that it's quite a bit different - and more frightening - to see a bunch of 350-pound Pro NFL linemen bearing down on you than a bunch of high school kids or even college players, since most of them don't make it to the NFL. Add to that an incompetent coaching staff and the fact that, due to his injury last season, it was really his first year, and I'm not all that surprised that JP seemd confused at times.

That said, I think JP showed flashes of great potential, despite the ridiculous offensive schemes, game plans, and play calling of last season's coaching staff. He probably would have been more comfortable and developed better had we stuck to a ball control offense, handing off to Willis 25-30 times a game - you know, the offense they said they were going to run before the season started - rather than all that crazy Mularkey stuff.

He still needs to earn the job and has much to prove, but I think JP will be much improved this year under the new regime, with a competent coaching staff and a sound offensive game plan - particularly if he gets a great new QB coach - like Jim Kelly maybe? :(

The Bills will be vastly improved this season - beyond expectations, I think.

I'm still thinking that Sam Wyche is gone precisely because we saw so little of JP's progress on the field, though I'm sure there may be other reasons for Wyche's departure.

I'm also thinking that it's quite a bit different - and more frightening - to see a bunch of 350-pound Pro NFL linemen bearing down on you than a bunch of high school kids or even college players, since most of them don't make it to the NFL.  Add to that an incompetent coaching staff and the fact that, due to his injury last season, it was really his first year, and I'm not all that surprised that JP seemd confused at times.

That said, I think JP showed flashes of great potential, despite the ridiculous offensive schemes, game plans, and play calling of last season's coaching staff.  He probably would have been more comfortable and developed better had we stuck to a ball control offense, handing off to Willis 25-30 times a game - you know, the offense they said they were going to run before the season started - rather than all that crazy Mularkey stuff.

He still needs to earn the job and has much to prove, but I think JP will be much improved this year under the new regime, with a competent coaching staff and a sound offensive game plan - particularly if he gets a great new QB coach - like Jim Kelly maybe? :(

The Bills will be vastly improved this season - beyond expectations, I think.

598187[/snapback]

Ditto.....Agreed on every point.....If the previous regime had kept its promise

to run the ball and play soliud Defense and STs and take pressure of a 1st year

QB, we would have seen a more confident JP.....THe problem is your QB has

to earn the trust of his OL and the WRs have to earn the trust of his QB.....

Unfortunately the moment JP had no trust in his linemen to block, he was

running for life and throwing passes on his backfoot....Why don't we first give

him a line and then ask him to sit in the pocket and making throws rather

than running for life....

Wow a rookie QB (he was hurt his first year and only played a few snaps so he was a rookie last year) was getting too excited? Did you watch the game on Sunday where they kept talking in the second half how Big Ben needed to calm down in the second half cause he was gettting too excited?

How many times can this get reposted? Yes JP still needs some work. Yes JP still needs some more experience. Yes JP needs an o-line, compotent coaches who can see we need to run the ball and an offence a little less complicated for a rookie. Yes he needs to earn the job as the starter rather than have it handed to him (he even said that himself)

He showed some signs of being great last year and some signs of being a dud. But after only 8 games we are already calling for a new QB?

Sam Wyche has a long standing friendship with Mike Malarkey. I would imagine Malarkey spoke to him before he left and Sam might even of advised him to leave. Once Malarkey left, why does anyone think Sam would stay with Buffalo? I do not think he was let go do to JP 's performance.

598127[/snapback]

I think a lot of people on this board are underestimating the importance of Levy and jauron not having loyalty to Donahoe's players. The fact that he was a first round pick that cost us a 1st, 2nd, and 5th was extra incentive for TD to ensure he succeeds, but ML and DJ will view JP much more objectively.

I think a lot of people on this board are underestimating the importance of Levy and jauron not having loyalty to Donahoe's players.  The fact that he was a first round pick that cost us a 1st, 2nd, and 5th was extra incentive for TD to ensure he succeeds, but ML and DJ will view JP much more objectively.

598249[/snapback]

Good point. Imo, the disturbing thing is that Marv and RW are SO old, their inclination might be to bring in another vet. Do you see any out there that you have confidence in?

I would be OK with this if they dump Holcombe, but I favor drafting a qb in the 3rd or 4th round and seeing if he can play. At least this type of player would be in his second year if Losman is a bust.

Matthews has no place on the Bills roster as far as I'm concerned.

I think a lot of people on this board are underestimating the importance of Levy and jauron not having loyalty to Donahoe's players.  The fact that he was a first round pick that cost us a 1st, 2nd, and 5th was extra incentive for TD to ensure he succeeds, but ML and DJ will view JP much more objectively.

598249[/snapback]

Agree completely.

Matthews was a starter for Jauron before, right?

Oh, boy.  :(  :(

598259[/snapback]

I think that Matthews might fit well on a team such as Indy or Atlanta.....an insurance policy of sorts if one of their 2 good qbs goes down. The Bills are quite a different story, whereas one of our two qbs is a complete question mark after 2 years, the other having no upside at all.

I would much rather have a young guy on the team who might amount to something than Matthews, who simply fills no need for the Bills imo.

598249[/snapback]

That's possible. And true, but only in theory. Because TD and MM showed less incentive to ensure JP succeeded than a guy off the street would have. They threw him under Jerome Bettis. And the fact is, he will be expected to produce in his third year by TD or ML or any GM or coach. And any GM or coach will see that he has all the tools and will determine if he has a ten cent head by what they see. If they see brilliance, or progression, they will keep him longer. If they see erratic play and losses and no control of the team, they will jettison him quicker. But TD and MM showed no loyalty at all.

Good point. Imo, the disturbing thing is that Marv and RW are SO old, their inclination might be to bring in another vet. Do you see any out there that you have confidence in?

I would be OK with this if they dump Holcombe, but I favor drafting a qb in the 3rd or 4th round and seeing if he can play. At least this type of player would be in his second year if Losman is a bust.

Matthews has no place on the Bills roster as far as I'm concerned.

598256[/snapback]

I've thought all along that with the regime change comes philosophy change. That goes especially for the QB. If ML and company didn't like JP from the get go, they will not sail that ship with blinders on just because of where he was drafted. I'm not saying they will not allow JP to compete for the job, but I'm guessing they'd like someone more "win now". We all know the deficiencies we have with the OL. Those, I believe, will get the attention they need be it through the draft and/or FA. Now, with the "proper line" in place. they may want to go a step further and put the ball in the hands of someone more seasoned. Bill from NYC, you asked who else. How about Kerry Collins? It has been speculated that the Raiders will go in another direction. I know some might compare him to DB. That's fair. I've always liked KCs' game. I'd give a look see.

He also has shown getting too excited and the coaches said they needed to calm him down.  Well, geez, the guy played high school and college ball.  Didn't he get somewhat used to playing the game from that experience.

Of course, there are only a few cool customers like a Montana and Brady.  Then you have guys like Bledsoe with many years of Pro Ball and he still get sjittery back there an d looks like a rookie.

598127[/snapback]

SomeQB's take longer than others for the progress to show on the field, and to calm down. I think he will take about as long as Plummer did, and I have no problem waiting for that

But TD and MM showed no loyalty at all.

598271[/snapback]

I am not sure how much loyalty JP deserved. They drafted him at great expense, made him a millionaire, and handed him a job as an NFL qb against the apparent objections of team veterans. Their reward was watching him suck.

After the 04 season, TD, despite an impressive professional background, seemed to react as one would expect from a bitter fan. After losing to his ex-team, he blamed Drew instead of looking in the mirror for the woes of the Buffalo Bills.

I guess what I am getting at is that TD created this soap opera drama, and deserved to get fired.

Bill from NYC, you asked who else. How about Kerry Collins? It has been speculated that the Raiders will go in another direction. I know some might compare him to DB. That's fair. I've always liked KCs' game.  I'd give a look see.

598278[/snapback]

Interesting suggestion. I doubt if Kitna will leave Cincy with the uncertainty regarding the injured Palmer.

Imo, Collins is OK....a poor man's Bledsoe. :(:(

SomeQB's take longer than others for the progress to show on the field, and to calm down. I think he will take about as long as Plummer did, and I have no problem waiting for that

598282[/snapback]

Plummer took the Cardinals, the freakin' Cardinals, to a playoff win in his second year (although they had a good defense). He was pretty good right off the bat after coming off a Rose Bowl win. Fans and GMs and coaches were expecting him to get back to that level, because he had already proved it. And they just thought he had played on crappy teams. That said, I think you play an offense like Denver uses Plummer. That is the best example for JP. Granted they run the ball great, but what i meant was the percentage of safe passes, the percentage of rollouts and bootlegs and then take your chances deep.

Plummer took the Cardinals, the freakin' Cardinals, to a playoff win in his second year (although they had a good defense). He was pretty good right off the bat after coming off a Rose Bowl win. Fans and GMs and coaches were expecting him to get back to that level, because he had already proved it. And they just thought he had played on crappy teams. That said, I think you play an offense like Denver uses Plummer. That is the best example for JP. Granted they run the ball great, but what i meant was the percentage of safe passes, the percentage of rollouts and bootlegs and then take your chances deep.

598288[/snapback]

Yes, he did have a big second year, and did a lot of things well early on, but it took him awhileto mature, and become more consistent

I am not sure how much loyalty JP deserved. They drafted him at great expense, made him a millionaire, and handed him a job as an NFL qb against the apparent objections of team veterans. Their reward was watching him suck.

After the 04 season, TD, despite an impressive professional background, seemed to react as one would expect from a bitter fan. After losing to his ex-team, he blamed Drew instead of looking in the mirror for the woes of the Buffalo Bills.

I guess what I am getting at is that TD created this soap opera drama, and deserved to get fired.

598283[/snapback]

All of that may be true, but you're responding to a post that responded to a post that implied the new regime will have less loyalty and less patience and no incentive to play JP because they didn't draft him. And I responded that's probably not true because the guys that did draft and had incentive didn't show any to him at all. The new regime indeed may give him more of a chance because it is easy to see the skills.