Thurman Thomas HoF decision thread

SDS

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the News Late...

I have to say, it may sound overdramatic, or whatever...but I'm just crushed by this...I seriously cannot believe it...

I think Emmitt Smith said it perfectly;

""Thurman Thomas is one of the greatest players, not just one of the greatest running backs, to ever play the game," said Smith at a news conference for former Super Bowl most valuable players. "His numbers support that, and his talent supports that. He is a Hall of Famer, and anyone who feels otherwise should have their heads examined."

This is such a complete and utter joke...Maybe it's just me, and obviously TT will get in next Year, but I swear I feel like My Dog just died...The 1st Ballot is a big thing...it is...TT deserved that 1st Ballot Honor...He earned it...

:blush:

As much as I would like to see Thermal in the Hall, there are many other players that should be in long before he gets a nod. Here are just a few:

-Ray Guy-greatest punter of all-time

-Art Monk-awesome

-Wilbert Montgomery

-Harold Carmichael-didn't he set a receiving record?

-Kent Hull-one of the best centers of all time

-hate to say it but The Bus(#5 all-time) will be in long before Thermal makes it.

Anyone know why Monk is not in the HOF? Did he piss someone off?

As much as I would like to see Thermal in the Hall, there are many other players that should be in long before he gets a nod.  Here are just a few:

-Art Monk-awesome

-Wilbert Montgomery

-hate to say it but The Bus(#5 all-time) will be in long before Thermal makes it.

Anyone know why Monk is not in the HOF?  Did he piss someone off?

594504[/snapback]

Andre Reed has better stats then Art Monk. Went to 7 Pro Bowls as opposed to Monk's 3. In every single receiving category, Reed has better stats. So shouldnt Reed get in before Monk?

The reason Monk doesnt get in is because he consistently was above-average for his career, but never elite. Then again, that criteria got Warren Moon in, so go figure.

And Jerome isnt even elligible until he retires, then its a 5-year wait. Ray Guy wont get in until its an amazingly weak class. Carmichael's stats arent good enough to get near the Hall. Wilbert Montgomery? You've got to be kidding me.

As much as I would like to see Thermal in the Hall, there are many other players that should be in long before he gets a nod.  Here are just a few:

-Art Monk-awesome

-Wilbert Montgomery

Anyone know why Monk is not in the HOF?  Did he piss someone off?

594504[/snapback]

You have got to be kidding me...

Ray Guy, Those Eagles and Hull??? This is a joke right?

This Post does not even deserve a reply...but I will anyway...

4 Straight Seasons Leading The NFL in All Purpose Yards... An NFL Record that stood since Jim Brown (3)

8th All Time In All Purpose Yards

11th All Time in Rushing Attempts

12th All Time in Rushing Yards (Retired 9th)

1000 yards in 8 Straight Seasons

NFL's All-Decade Team of the 1990s

First- or second-team All-Pro five straight years

1991 NFL MVP, AP MVP, AP Offensive Player of the Year

5 straight Pro Bowls

Best Offensive Player on a Team that went to 4 straight SB's

1st Ballot Numbers in any Year...period...end of story...

Seriously, this gives hopes to guys like Drew Bledsoe, Vinny Testaverde, Dave Krieg and Boomer Esiason that one day they can somehow make it to Canton.  They got the numbers!  They got the Pro Bowls!  Drew even has a Superbowl victory!  Get em' all in there.

594327[/snapback]

Let's not forget that this is the PRO Football HOF and Moon won five consecutive Grey Cups in six seasons in the CFL. Something that none of the QBs you mentioned ever won. If you look at Moon's CFL AND NFL stats it's easy to see why he got in with the 1st ballot. And before you dismiss the CFL let's remember Levy coached there and think his success up there helped him get into Canton.

The real reason Thurman didn't get selected this season is karma.  That last season in Miami meant he ended up on a ballot with Aikman, Reggie, and Moon instead of last season when he'd have easily joined Young and Marino.

594376[/snapback]

Valid point.

Sometimes I hate being right...

He's got a reasonable shot... but I'm surprised Moon made the finalists list, and I'm wondering if he might be the wildcard who knocks Thurman out.

As someone else noted: VERY strong field this year. I'm less optimistic than I was before I saw the list. (Then again, it might be a year where the maximum six enshrinees get in, too.)

Let's not forget that this is the PRO Football HOF and Moon won five consecutive Grey Cups in six seasons in the CFL. Something that none of the QBs you mentioned ever won. If you look at Moon's CFL AND NFL stats it's easy to see why he got in with the 1st ballot. And before you dismiss the CFL let's remember Levy coached there and think his success up there helped him get into Canton.

594529[/snapback]

As previously noted-

This question originally came up when Doug Flutie was playing for Buffalo. According to Joe Horrigan, Pro Football Hall of Fame VP of Communications, the differences between the CFL and NFL games are great enough that Flutie's CFL career -- unlike Jim Kelly's and Steve Young's time in the USFL -- would not be considered by the HOF electors.

The CFL has their own HOF. Those Grey Cups may have made a favorable impression on some voters... but if they were going by the rules of the selection process, Moon made it to Canton based on his NFL career alone.

Edited to add:

Jeff Legwold (formerly the Titans beat writer for the Nashville Tennessean, now covering the Broncos for the Rocky Mountain News) goes into more detail:

When the museum/league archives was named "Pro Football Hall of Fame'' and not the "NFL Hall of Fame,'' it was largely a nod to pro football's early years. Organizations like the Allegheny Athletic Association, Latrobe (Pa.) Athletic Association and the Canton Athletic Club were the earliest teams that had rosters comprised entirely of paid players in the late 1800s.

The American Professional Football Association, what we know as the current NFL, was formed in the early 1920s. The APFA changed its name to the National Football League in 1922.

But there also was the American Football League in the 1960s and '70s, which included the Broncos as well as many players and coaches now enshrined in the Hall of Fame. There was also the United States Football League in the 1980s -- Flutie played his rookie season with the New Jersey Generals with running back Herschel Walker.

Players like former Bills quarterback Jim Kelly and former 49ers quarterback Steve Young have already been inducted in the Hall, having played some in the USFL. Reggie White, up for induction this year, also played in the USFL.

However, there is the question of the Canadian Football League. Players who have had CFL experience are not usually given, for lack of a better word, credit for those years in the balloting because of the differing rules -- 12 men on the field on offense and defense; a longer and wider field; and forward motion allowed before the snap. ...

RockyMountainNews.com

As previously noted-

This question originally came up when Doug Flutie was playing for Buffalo. According to Joe Horrigan, Pro Football Hall of Fame VP of Communications, the differences between the CFL and NFL games are great enough that Flutie's CFL career -- unlike Jim Kelly's and Steve Young's time in the USFL -- would not be considered by the HOF electors.

The CFL has their own HOF. Those Grey Cups may have made a favorable impression on some voters... but if they were going by the rules of the selection process, Moon made it to Canton based on his NFL career alone.

594540[/snapback]

Huh! My bad but even if his CFL years were considered, I don't think Flutie make the HoF inpart because he has been far from great in the NFL and wasn't great in the USFL either.

As previously noted-

594540[/snapback]

I wonder if they would ever consider the XFL stats also.

Thurman was the league MVP in 1991 and he was bitching immediately afterwards that he 'didn't get any respect' .I think that he should've been a no brainer to get in this year,but maybe some of the voters remembered that comment. (??)

594555[/snapback]

I know I remember that comment - it's one of the first things I think about when I think about Thurman. That had to be one of the stupidest things anybody has ever said.

That and his SB 28 meltdown are the reasons I don't have a major problem with him not being a first year HOFer. He is a HOFer and will get in eventually.

The one thing that seemed to hurt him in terms of this class the most, though, is that there were two veterans committee nominees. The vet comm. nominee always gets in. When did they start having two? Which means only four "real" HOFers.

I got the News Late...

I have to say, it may sound overdramatic, or whatever...but I'm just crushed by this...I seriously cannot believe it...

I think Emmitt Smith said it perfectly;

""Thurman Thomas is one of the greatest players, not just one of the greatest running backs, to ever play the game," said Smith at a news conference for former Super Bowl most valuable players. "His numbers support that, and his talent supports that. He is a Hall of Famer, and anyone who feels otherwise should have their heads examined."

This is such a complete and utter joke...Maybe it's just me, and obviously TT will get in next Year, but I swear I feel like My Dog just died...The 1st Ballot is a big thing...it is...TT deserved that 1st Ballot Honor...He earned it...

:blush:

594497[/snapback]

He's used to getting passed over when he should have been selected.

The one thing that seemed to hurt him in terms of this class the most, though, is that there were two veterans committee nominees.  The vet comm. nominee always gets in.  When did they start having two?  Which means only four "real" HOFers.

594571[/snapback]

They changed those rules in 2003:

Hall of Fame Board of Trustees modifies selection process

Not every Seniors Committee candidate gets in, though -- Bob Hayes was passed over in 2004.

Oh baby, the NFL writers are in trouble now...we got Sabrina's cat after them!

Still though, I totally agree with Nick. Actually, I was thinking today...someone on ESPN used Art Monk to trump why Michael Irvin hasnt gotten in yet by saying Monk has waaaaay better stats than Irvin.

And yet...Andre has waaaaay better stats than Monk. Funny how no one mentions that little tidbit. And he was in 4 more Pro Bowls than Monk was. Ah but hey...2+2=5 unless ESPN says otherwise.