Common Sense Rules for TSW

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is intended, seriously, to be a serious thread. Anyone putting a joke in here, or not responding seriously, should be publicly ridiculed and humiliated, and privately beaten for being a total ass. It will be a public admission that you are a total ass if you put a joke or a non-serious suggestion in this particular thread. I am asking politely. There are 1000 other threads to joke in. Please use those.

I think it should be a rule that if you are going to respond to any thread, you must read all previous responses in that particular thread. To eliminate duplicate and triplicate and quadruplicate responses. Even if the thread is 16 pages long. This may not be punishable by death or banning, but a basic unwritten law nonetheless. I think it would improve the board tremendously.

Please offer a serious response to this notion, if you have one. Or suggest another serious rule which may or may not be officially adopted.

589834[/snapback]

This is your second LAMP this week, and its only Tuesday fer crist sake. 0:)

This is intended, seriously, to be a serious thread. Anyone putting a joke in here, or not responding seriously, should be publicly ridiculed and humiliated, and privately beaten for being a total ass. It will be a public admission that you are a total ass if you put a joke or a non-serious suggestion in this particular thread. I am asking politely. There are 1000 other threads to joke in. Please use those.

I think it should be a rule that if you are going to respond to any thread, you must read all previous responses in that particular thread. To eliminate duplicate and triplicate and quadruplicate responses. Even if the thread is 16 pages long. This may not be punishable by death or banning, but a basic unwritten law nonetheless. I think it would improve the board tremendously.

Please offer a serious response to this notion, if you have one. Or suggest another serious rule which may or may not be officially adopted.

589834[/snapback]

Good point, but I don't see how it could be enforced.

0:)

Actually, I still think my suggestion last night is best: if you don't have anything to say, don't friggin' say anything! And if you do have something to say, say it once!

Of course, that requires maturity. Not something we've come to expect from a group that's not exclusively but primarily composed of Romper Room rejects.

KRC ,could we do away with post count and view count ?

589967[/snapback]

In this software, I do not remember seeing anything that will allow you to get rid of post count for members. You can, however, stop the post count from increasing. There is a setting for each forum:

Posts in this forum increase member's cumulative post count? YES  NO

If you set this to NO, then post counts never increase for members.

I do not think that there is a way to disable view counts. Maybe with custom skins? You will need to ask SDS about the custom skins.

JUST FOR YOU BUDDY!

589870[/snapback]

I was going to post this same link (which I got here from someone else...you?). BUT, because I read the responses (usually) before posting, I knew it didn't need to be re-posted. 0:)

Of course KtD and CTM are right. BEHAVE! If ya got nothing to say, shut the hell up. If you're going to post in a thread, read the freaking thread first. Ya bunch of freaks.

my suggestion last night is best..... if you do have something to say, say it once!

Didn't you already say this once? 0:)

:doh::lol::D

Simon's rules for child-rearing #324

It is important to tell your children the following:

"Children, many times in life your best bet is simply to shut the hell up.

Didn't you already say this once? 0:) 

:doh:  :lol:  :D

Simon's rules for child-rearing #324

It is important to tell your children the following:

"Children, many times in life your best bet is simply to shut the hell up.

590006[/snapback]

:D

I think there should be a rule prohibiting the use of the word retard on someone's signature.  Mentally challenged people should not be subjected to this derogatory and inflamatory choice of words.

589867[/snapback]

This, coming from a guy named "Beerball".

It is certainly valid but is not enforceable. At least I don't see how it could be.

Why not let the community "vote on" or "rate" individual posters and/or threads, like some other message boards do? I prefer market self-regulation to leftist rule-making, command-economy interventionism. More efficient, and more friendly.

(sorry if already posted)

(why not just accept peoples' apologies in advance, i.e., "sorry if already posted"?)

Not something we've come to expect from a group that's not exclusively but primarily composed of Romper Room rejects.

589995[/snapback]

Oooooh.

Romper. Bomper. Stomper. Boo.

Tell me. Tell me. Tell me do.

Magic mirror, tell me today.

Did all my friends have fun at play?

I see BF. I see JP-Era. I see T-Bone. I see Ice. I see B dawg. 0:)

Why not let the community "vote on" or "rate" individual posters and/or threads, like some other message boards do?  I prefer market self-regulation to leftist rule-making, command-economy interventionism.  More efficient, and more friendly.

(sorry if already posted)

(why not just accept peoples' apologies in advance, i.e., "sorry if already posted"?)

590033[/snapback]

Personally, I don't like those ratings things, it's all pretty high schoolish and cliquish. And I don't know why two-thirds of the responses in this thread keep harping on hardfast rules and enforcement. I never implied or suggested that. I think they think they're funny. 0:)

It is a freaking message board. All message boards are like this. Some people come on here to read but most people com here to post and have their posts replied to.

Are you really that bored that you have to start a post with common sense rules that will never be followed?

In this software, I do not remember seeing anything that will allow you to get rid of post count for members. You can, however, stop the post count from increasing. There is a setting for each forum:

If you set this to NO, then post counts never increase for members.

589996[/snapback]

Invoking the various clickables in My Controls, I haven't detected such.

Can you give me a path to locate that forum-by-forum y/n switch?

Thanks, stuckincincy

Invoking the various clickables in My Controls, I haven't detected such.

Can you give me a path to locate that forum-by-forum y/n switch?

Thanks, stuckincincy

590044[/snapback]

It's an actual setting for the forum at the admin level. It would apply to all users who post in said forum.

It is a freaking message board. All message boards are like this. Some people come on here to read but most people com here to post and have their posts replied to.

Are you really that bored that you have to start a post with common sense rules that will never be followed?

590043[/snapback]

If that's the case, why have threads at all? Why doesn't everyone just start their own thread for everything they want to say just to have their posts replied to? I assume, probably wrongly, that posters ask questions that they want the answer to. And not just to see themselves type.

Put it this way: If you're in a lecture hall in college, do you want to spend half your class period with students asking the professor the exact same question another student just asked, simply because the second student wasn't paying attention?