Sam Wyche gone......

sven233

AS I said earlier, I'm surprised it took this long.

Wyche came here because MM made him an offer which saved him from the wilderness of illness forced retirement.

The sickness he had not only forced him to drop the multi-hour high pressure job of being an HC, but cost him his voice and ability to yell (seemingly a job requirement for a coach) or even speak loudly (certainly an essential part of teaching QBs as we emphasize the importance of lessons with volume and cadence is all important for a QB).

It was great that MM got to repay a favor to Wyche who rescued MM from player retirement and I think a career selling insurance by giving an asst. coach for quality control role with TB.

I was surprised when Wyche did not leave when MM resigned but I guessed he seemed to be staying around as though he is greatly healed it still is a question whether he has enough of a voice to teach or take on a role like OC that he is easily mentally capable of taking on.

His stayimg around so long and apparently even queing up to have a returning coach "interview" with Jauron made me think that perhaps with favors being done by both men the scales were equaled.

My guess is though with Fairchild just coming aboard as OC that he has a QB coach coming with him and thus Wyche is gone, We'ell see in the next couple of days whether someone like the Rams QB coach comes over (then they made Wyche walk the plank or Wyche gets a job with MM in MI (which if it happens quickly probably means Wyche himself flew the coop.

Why in the world do you consider this such a big loss guys?

** Purely curious ... not in for a huge fight

585203[/snapback]

Because Wyche is a great football mind with a lot of experience, a good guy by all accounts and the kind of smart, reliable, positive influence that's not easy to find and that you want helping to guide your organization.

The Bills organization just took yet another large step backwards in an offseason in which only a couple steps forward could have made them a very good team.

Because Wyche is a great football mind with a lot of experience, a good guy by all accounts and the kind of smart, reliable, positive influence that's not easy to find and that you want helping to guide your organization.

The Bills organization just took yet another large step backwards in an offseason in which only a couple steps forward could have made them a very good team.

585212[/snapback]

It also may be a big loss if he really is seen by JP as central to his development as a QB or has built a relationship with him/

Im sure he left on his own. I dont see it a such a great loss however. Im sure he has a great football mind but out with the old and in with the new. It was my thought from day 1 that nobody but April should have been kept. That included SW and even McNally.

585199[/snapback]

I'm not sure I'm ready to throw that baby out with the bath water.

If memory serves Wyche also has ticker problems that are checked each year. That could be part of the reason.

Sam as good a coach as he was, and with all the time he and JP spent in last year's offseason, didn't get the youngster as ready as he thought.

I do wish him well with his health issues.

It also may be a big loss if he really is seen by JP as central to his development as a QB or has built a relationship with him/

585217[/snapback]

I'd bet my house he had a great relationship with Losman.

And a truck that he'd have continued to be a highly positive influence on JP's development as a player as well as a person.

And a car that the Bills won't find anybody any time soon that will be his equal.

Good luck Sam and I hope you land in a great situation; don't go to miami you sonofabitch.

I'd bet my house he had a great relationship with Losman.

And a truck that he'd have continued to be a highly positive influence on JP's development as a player as well as a person.

And a car that the Bills won't find anybody any time soon that will be his equal.

Good luck Sam and I hope you land in a great situation; don't go to miami you sonofabitch.

585223[/snapback]

Well now that you've said it , miami it will be and that coaching staff saban is building will own this team for the next 5 years.......in typical buffalo fashion this will all come true!

MM in miami will be like greggo in washington ..look out

Ok he had a great relationship with losman and.........

What exactaly has Sam Wyche brought to the buffalo bills? What revolutionary concept did he help teach mularkey to use? Wyche is/was mularkeys mentor, maybe it's not out of the realm of possibility that he was responsible for some of the ideas mularkey tried with this offense? I dont see this as some great loss, if losman was on the verge of breaking out then maybe, but losmans on the verge of being a pretty big bust. I'll still sleep easy at night.

Ok he had a great relationship with losman and.........

What exactaly has Sam Wyche brought to the buffalo bills?  What revolutionary concept did he help teach mularkey to use?  Wyche is/was mularkeys mentor, maybe it's not out of the realm of possibility that he was responsible for some of the ideas mularkey tried with this offense?  I dont see this as some great loss, if losman was on the verge of breaking out then maybe, but losmans on the verge of being a pretty big bust.  I'll still sleep easy at night.

585259[/snapback]

^^^ Thats my mindset. People wanna kick Jerry Gray (someone who had 2 seasons, coaching the #2 ranked defense) right off the team ... yet someone who has had a struggling QB --- one year with Bledsoe, and one with Losman ... people are ready to exault him as the best QB's coach in the NFL.

Just doesnt make sense to me.

I am not sure what Wyche not coming back translates as, but I am getting the feeling, more and more, that JP is going to have to earn the #1 spot next year....

585279[/snapback]

and i say good... If he wins it it will teach him that nothing is given to you, plus it will push him to try hard every practice and game. If he doesn't get it, then he should never have had it in the first place, so its no big loss.

We all love Sam as the person and coach. But, what did he do for Losman? Maybe the generation gap is not that good with one on one coaches. JP probably needs someone young, like Fairchild to be comfortable under. I trust Fairchild will bring in someone good, if not, he's more than capable of tutoring this young QB.

I need to know the story on this one. WHY, sam, WHY?

585192[/snapback]

Because Sam's favorite way of relaxing was to throw back some beers and relive his youth at the Canadian Ballet, while Jauron, Levy & Wilson prefer to sit by the fire, under their blankets with a glass of brandy, smoking their pipes while discussing world issues.

:lol:

JP Losman must think he unraveled everything around him.

585192[/snapback]

Darn, and he was performing sooooo well under Wyche. :lol:

Let's take it a step further. I agree with the many people here that claim that JP is at his worst when he's thinking. He over-thinks, and then presses. Maybe blowing Wyche out of Bflo will allow JP to think a bit less and thus, actually help his play. Especially considering that QB coaching is the strong suit of our OC, a guy who, by all accounts, has had more success getting his QBs to perform at a higher level than Wyche ever has. Or am I under-rating the greatness of Craig Erickson?

I don't dislike Wyche, but IF he's gone, it's not really that big of a deal, is it?

I don't dislike Wyche, but IF he's gone, it's not really that big of a deal, is it?

585340[/snapback]

your rational thinking has no place on this board!! we must over-react and cause drama!!

god damn, marv can't do anything right!

This was going to happen....Sam was brought in under MM and if memory serves me his being here was a test. His test, to see if he could even do the job because of his health. He was given the responsiblities to make JP an NFL QB, he got to work wiht his old student MM and I'm sure that was exciting. I have said many times before that coaching football in the NFL or high school for that matter, is a tough business, tough physically, mentally and with the long hours tough on the family. I am sure Sams deal allowed him a little more free time (yes this is my assumption) than the rest of his "peers" due to his health. Times are a changing at One Bills Drive, Sam's a smart man, the run I'm sure was fun, but I don't expect to see him coaching again...yes even in Miami.

Sam as good a coach as he was, and with all the time he and JP spent in last year's offseason, didn't get the youngster as ready as he thought.
What exactaly has Sam Wyche brought to the buffalo bills? I dont see this as some great loss, if losman was on the verge of breaking out then maybe, but losmans on the verge of being a pretty big bust.
it's not like our QB's have lit the league on fire the past few years.......we can defantiely do better.......

We all love Sam as the person and coach. But, what did he do for Losman?
wyche is a funny guy buy the game has passed him by. QBs in Buffalo have gotten progressively worse not better. best for both sides if he moves on.

Exactly what in the hell did you pack of nitwits need to see? Did Losman have to go to the ProBowl on his first try in order to make it apparent to you that Wyche was doing very good work? :)

The fact of the matter is that JP was a very green first year QB from a small school who was playing on a team with a bad and injured OLine, no threat of a running game, a #1 receiver who quit on the team, a defense that never gave him a short field and playcalling duties regularly switching around among different coaches.

With all that stacked against him it's an absolute miracle that he managed to throw as many TD's as he did picks, and the majority of the credit for that not insignificant accomplishment can go to Wyche.

For those of you referring to his work with Bledsoe, spare me. Parcells is arguably the greatest QB guru of all time and he did about the same with Bledsoe last year as Wyche did the year before. There's very few people in the world who could have got that turd to play at that level.

QB coaching is the strong suit of our OC, a guy who, by all accounts, has had more success getting his QBs to perform at a higher level than Wyche ever has. Or am I under-rating the greatness of Craig Erickson?

Ummmm, you also might want to mention some guys like Joe Montana, Ken Anderson, Boomer Esiason, Vinny Testaverde, Trent Dilfer, etc.

People wanna kick Jerry Gray (someone who had 2 seasons, coaching the #2 ranked defense) right off the team ... yet someone who has had a struggling QB --- one year with Bledsoe, and one with Losman ... people are ready to exault him as the best QB's coach in the NFL.

Yeah, there's a great comparison.

On the one hand you have Wyche who has proven his worth time and time again, doing great work in this league since before you were born.

Then you have JGray, who in his one single season without a babysitter was absolutely pathetic.

Yeah I can definitely see where Gray should be held in the same regard as Wyche. :lol:

585212[/snapback]

Sorry, I just don't see the gloom and doom in all of this. Do we really even know what Wyche added to the staff, or who even made the decision that he will not be back? The offense, and quarterbacking in general, was pretty poor the last two seasons. Was he helping at all with playcalling? If so, that's hardly a ringing endorsement. I like Sam -- he's got a great personality and has obviously enjoyed much success in the league over the years -- but let's not overestimate his worth to the staff. He was obviously limited in what he could and could not do.

Bottom line -- if Sam was able to impart some of his experience to JP in helping him learn how to handle being a pro QB, that's great. I don't view his loss to the staff as either a positive or a negative at this point.

The fact of the matter is that JP was a very green first year QB from a small school who was playing on a team with a bad and injured OLine, no threat of a running game, a #1 receiver who quit on the team, a defense that never gave him a short field and playcalling duties regularly switching around among different coaches.

585345[/snapback]

certainly doesn't sound like a team in need of "a few minor changes" in order to be competitive......sounds like a team in need of a major overhaul.......

Exactly what in the hell did you pack of nitwits need to see?

585345[/snapback]

How about progression instead of regression? That'd be nice for a change. If you disagree, that's fine -- IMO that's why most of us come here, to get varying opinions and perceptions -- but don't think, not even for a minute, that you're the only person who watches football.

But alas, King Simon has spoken. Might as well close the thread now.

The key here is whether Wyche was forced out or not. My feeling is that this was his choice either because of the loss of MM and/or his continuing health problems. Doesn't he need a heart transplant at some point?

In any event, I hope that this was a decision on his end. I see no reason why he should have been let go. I guess the true story will eventually come out in the media.

certainly doesn't sound like a team in need of "a few minor changes" in order to be competitive......sounds like a team in need of a major overhaul.......

585352[/snapback]

You change out two co-ordinators and add 2 trenchmen and this team is right back on track, improving and taking positive forward steps just like they were up until last year.

But when we had to deal with a year breaking in a rookie QB and also lost a bunch of players at the same time, you little pussies couldn't handle it and started screeching (or in your case, continued screeching) like a bunch of infants. As a result Ralph pissed down his leg and demolished a solid organization so he could replace it with this garbage.

Nice work. :lol:

How about progression instead of regression?  That'd be nice for a change.  If you disagree, that's fine -- IMO that's why most of us come here, to get varying opinions and perceptions -- but don't think, not even for a minute, that you're the only person who watches football. 

But alas, King Simon has spoken.  Might as well close the thread now.

585353[/snapback]

:lol::)

How about progression instead of regression?  That'd be nice for a change.  If you disagree, that's fine -- IMO that's why most of us come here, to get varying opinions and perceptions -- but don't think, not even for a minute, that you're the only person who watches football. 

But alas, King Simon has spoken.  Might as well close the thread now.

585353[/snapback]

(Maybe more than) A little over the top there - my apologies to Simon.

But he's still wrong! :):lol: