The (Evil) SportsCenter Effect

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yo, Dawg, why you finna HATE, Playa? Peep out those blamtastic posts by me!

Aw Yeah! I'm coolah than the other side ah the pillow!

Fo' Shizzle! BOOYA!*

* the preceding post has been rated NF (not funny) by the Balenced Dog Society of America. Under 18 not admitted without a comeback.

573135[/snapback]

Hey Dingo, I didn't know if you were talking about Stuart Scott or quoting all NBA playas?!

So how 'bout some of dat izzle skizzle.... <_<

how did that work?

573483[/snapback]

The same pole wiring went into six households where I lived. That wasn't a magic number - some went into eight, or ten, or some went into two or four. It was an accesiblilty, house-to-pole thing. Pole voltage was as it is now, 11 or so volts, so efficiency losses were meaningless.

When the phone rang, you as one of six or whatever, had a distinctive sequence. ring..ringring...ring...ringring and so on. You had to memorize that.

Oftimes, when you desired to make a call and would pick up the handset, another party line person was talking. After a respectable period it time, you would re-try your call. If the previous person was still on the line, you would say "Sir, or Madam, I need to make a call". The social conventions of the time generally - but not in all cases - resulted in an apology, and a promise to be off-line post haste. Fact was, all party line members knew the identity of each other. Being labeled a phone hog was strong social censure. And the phone company if contacted would mediate, and if need be put hard pressure upon the non-cooperative. They tallied who dialed and who was using the time, so they knew what was what.

I also was around in the waning days of Western Union telegraph messages... <_<

0:) I can laugh at this, but I'm not qualified to say if is funny or not.

573500[/snapback]

Not if you laugh out loud you cant! Thought police be damned!

The village idiots er, Turds and I will be paying you a visit <_<

Or is it, the Tards and I? ;)

Dog -- i am curious what led to this Jerry Maguire like soliloquy...was it all the inane airport threads or the deep inside source threads or a combo....Timing is essential is humor--the first is funny--the 100th--not so much...

573498[/snapback]

Seems to me it's been coming on since the retatta thread, or maybe well before. It often rears its ugly head when there is a great and truly funny thread, but then, suddenly, Tard Nation, like a massive wave of ex-writers of the comic strip "Nancy" and "Blondie" start chipping in.

Once upon a time, a decade or two ago, ESPN was just starting. They hired a few guys named Chris Berman and Dan Patrick and Keith Olberman, who once upon a time were fairly humorous in a smartalecky kind of way. It was a little new (for sports), a little goofy, and it worked great. ESPN and SportsCenter became a phenomenon.

Unfortunately, Berman and Patrick and Olberman ruined sports forever by being sporadically mildly amusing.

Now, everyone on SportsCenter tries to be funny, like them, but they are not like them, and are not funny, and sound like complete morons.

And the same thing has happened to our lovable TSW.

There were and are a couple witty, mildly amusing old timers (and, admittedly, a couple of new timers) that once upon a time made TSW a great place for wisecracks and Pythonesque abuse, and they, unfortuntely, because they were funny, made this place nearly unbearable. Now, every tard on the coaster tries to be funny.

Except you tards forgot one thing. You're not funny. You're Stuart Scott.

So remember. If you're trying to be funny, make sure you're funny.

(To those here who are actually funny, carry on.)

573106[/snapback]

And once upon a time there used to be such a thing as a conservative Democrat.

And the same thing has happened to our lovable TSW.

573106[/snapback]

You can't possibly suggest that www.trollsbilldrive.com is less amiable a place for football fans than 8433 Sunset Blvd.? My god, methinks you need 20 minutes in the Belly Room to recover from the miasma.

Seems to me it's been coming on since the retatta thread, or maybe well before. It often rears its ugly head when there is a great and truly funny thread, but then, suddenly, Tard Nation, like a massive wave of ex-writers of the comic strip "Nancy" and "Blondie" start chipping in.

573547[/snapback]

Blondie is downright hysterical compared to Marmaduke.

As a fair and balanced dog, you must find that Marmaduke is

just offensive in its failure to deliver.

As a matter of fact, this would be a cutting remark for the terminally unfunny:

"Do you write for Marmaduke?"

The lower wits would be flattered, while the dogs in the know would nod their heads knowing that they were just given a little doggie present.

"Only a cyclops could fully appreciate this."

Sorry X.  I'm not sure but I think TSW has spoken:

pictures of possible Sarama haircuts=funny

unelaborated references to Classical Greek literature=RJ

575830[/snapback]

Actually, I loved Kelly's and X's references to Odysseus and Polyphemus! Bravo!

"Only a cyclops could fully appreciate this."

Sorry X.  I'm not sure but I think TSW has spoken:

pictures of possible Sarama haircuts=funny

575830[/snapback]

:devil: Doh! sez Homer.

575830[/snapback]

Huh?

I thought unelaborated references to Classical Greek literature= Dennis Miller calling MNF games.